Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kayak... Need some advice
Just got a pair of Ocean Kayak Drifter's for the Wife and I. Looking to do some stealth trolling on the cheasapeake bay for the trophy rockfish season. The wife and I are experienced at White Water Rafting on t-4 to t-8 rafts but this is our first experience with Kayaks. Is there anyone out there that Kayak fishes that could offer up some sound advice? do's and dont's?

thanks
[signature]
Congrats on your Yak purchase. I have a Cobra Triple that I use on the West Coast. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

From a safety standpoint, I'm sure you are aware of the need for lifejackets. I always mention that first because I worked with the FD dooing swift water and still water rescues.

While in a harbor or ocean environment, it is also good to have some kind of signalling device. Be it a whistle or Horn in a can, be sure to have something to sound off with in case a boat gets too close to you.

From a fishing standpoint:

First: Have fun and be safe.
2nd: Do not lean too much to one side with fish on. Try to point the bow of the yak close to where the fish is so that you have an advantage at fighting it.

3rd: For most rockfish, you should have no problem pulling straight up. Just watch for the spines.

4th Make sure your live bait tank or bait supplies are within reach. Also be sure that your fish hold is within reach. This will help you keep your weight centered.

Here are some important Do's:

Do have fun.
Do be safe.
Do catch fish (within limits)
Do make it back safely.
Do send us some pics of your new rig.
Do be sure to share some fishing reports with us.

If you would like, you can discuss this on the Float Tubing board.

We do specialize in smaller crafts and mini Vessels over there.
We also have a section just for Pimpin out your ride.[cool]
[signature]