Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FGD - Did you get one yet?
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Orvis has a nice Special Conservation Limited-Edition Trout Bum Rod 7' 4-wt 4-piece for only $1395. Was wondering how you liked yours Flygoddess? [Wink]LOL[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I do have a Trout Bum (7' 4wt 4pc) but not the fancy smacy one. I love that rod. Have the 2pc. 7' One Ounce 4wt also.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[#000050][sly]... it's hard to stump the fly goddess... maybe one day.. but dont see me doing it...[laugh][/#000050]
[#000050][/#000050]
[#000050]MacFly [cool][/#000050]
[signature]
[angelic] I remember a line from a western movie: (Robert Duvall sayingSmile
"just once in my life, I'd like a clear shot at an eddicated man"

Just once in my life, I'd like a blindfold test of the $1395 Rod, one of those $300 lines, at a stream with fish in it.
Comparing it side by side with my little cheapie #4 rig that cost me less than $200.

I've had the pleasure with Ping Golf clubs, and some $6500 shotguns and a few big bore rifles.
I must be severely handicapped, for I really dont see much difference in what all that money can buy.

That $1395 rod sounds like something J Paul Getty would have orderd for his den. You get to ooooh and aaaah over it, but it never leaves that den.[Wink]
[signature]
Do you have any of the old Sears rods??? I know they stopped making them around 25 years ago. I have 2 of them that I got from my Pops. One of them is even an 11wt. That must have been his Tuna rod.[cool]
[signature]
[#008000]Orvis has a nice Special Conservation Limited-Edition Trout Bum Rod 7" 4-wt 4-piece for only $1395. Was wondering how you liked yours Flygoddess? [Wink]LOL[/#008000]

Thats a perty short rod there Dryrod.
[signature]
[black][size 3]7' is a great length for the noodles, that is why my Boos, Glass and my Trout Bum and One Ounce are all 7'
[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]TubeN2, I have an Old Monty (Sears) Bamboo On the wall. Needs too much work and weighs way too much to use.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]You got me there poky-mon. Not going to touch that with a 10 foot rod. LOL[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there Thudpucker - I have some expensive hand guns that I use to use shooting competively. They did make a difference as far as balance, accuracy and general performance. I guess that if I was a pro fly man I would be able to tell the difference between a $200 rod and a $1500 one. Guess what? A $1500 rod will no doubt look nice & pretty but would be a waste with my talent.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[Smile]Yes Sir, I wouldn't argue my point on some things. I did Handgun Shilouette's for a long time and a good gun made an increase.
There are 'better' scopes for the rifles too.
That' something you cant do an along-side-one-another like you could with a fly rod.

The Fly Rod doesn't take much time to learn, to get used to, as some other things do.

Life sure has been fun. All the things I've done and experienced.
Now I just want to go fishing!
[signature]
Mmmmm, I dunno dryrod. I've always said if you're skilled at something, it will be forth comming regardless of the grade equipment you're using. Now, that applies in many senario's, but not all; and with in reason.

Like Shooting Pool for instance. A good billiards player can shoot pool just as good with a crooked house stick as he can with a 800 dollar Viking or Meuchi.

Sure you can get equipment that is better. A firearm that is more consistent, a higher grade fishing pole, or a precision billiard cue. But the ending result stays the same. Your skill level will have the final say. Cheap pole or expensive one, I will always catch fish. Cheap cue or expensive one, I will always sink the 8 ball, and cheap gun or high end one, you still don't want to be on the other end of my sights. [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I gotta jump on this one, specially when it comes to Fly Rods. However I will say you will notice the difference between a Wally World and an UPPER END. By Upper end I am talking anything from $600. and up.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The more expensive rods have much more time put into developing the TAPER, BLANK, HARDWARE, PLACEMENT OF THE HARDWARE.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]There is a difference.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Sure an experiensed angler can cast a Pflueger with great form, but the UPPER end are much easier and nicer, not to mention more well balanced and just plain lighter.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If I blind fold you and handed you a Wally World special, then turned around and handed you a Zero with similar flex, YOU WOULD notice a difference.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]No, you don't need the upper end to catch fish, it is just a personal choice.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I started off playing an old BASS then kept trading up to Rickies and Fendars and Ibanez and I was able to improve 100%.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Right on Flygoddess. But notice at the top of my post it says "for most senario's, but not all." [Tongue]

But my question to you is this, and i'm going to pick on you since I know you're of a high experiance level. [Smile]

Do you feel like you can be just as successful at catching fish with a cheaper rod as with an expensive one? I'm not talking about ease of use or comfort, just effectiveness ONLY.
[signature]
[black][size 3]You betcha. I will be the first to say, it is for fun and therefore make sure it comes out of the FUN money. This is very important.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Plus, building your own rod can save you big time bucks on a TOP of the line rod.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I fish for part of my living (play R-n-R for the other half) so my gear is very imprtant to me. Like you Mechanics, Walmart tools will work, but, Snap-on are much better.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[reply]
[black][size 3] Like you Mechanics, Walmart tools will work, but, Snap-on are much better.[/size][/black] [/reply]
You couldn't have put it any better! Tools are a perfect example. [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there Tarpon4me - well I'll take my Gold Cup 1911 model Colt 45 any day over a military issued one for there certainly is a decisive difference between the two.[/size][/green][/font]
Overview:
The first Colt Gold Cup was introduced in the late 1950’s to give competitive shooters a gun to take directly from the dealer’s shelf to the firing line. It featured an adjustable wide trigger, hand-honed action, adjustable target sights, flat grooved top rib on the slide, and many other refinements as standard. Today, the Colt Gold Cup is known as the finest shooting automatic in the world, and is the standard for competition guns.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22540;][/center]
[signature]
Hey DR, that is a fine looking pistol. I've never fired a gun that was designed with competition in mind. I own quite a few guns, and have fired many while active duty.

The standard issue weapon now is a Berretta M-9. I actually fancy that pistol over many. The Taurus PT-17 is almost an identicle style fire arm, but with a much better, lifetime warranty. It's also about 200 bucks cheaper than the berretta at just under 500 bucks. I like the safety features and dependability of both firearms. They are also very consistant in regards to performance.

I imagine that Colt you're refering to is probably well into the 4 digit price tag range. I could never justify the price tag for a weapon of that measure, but it would be nice to fire one anyhow.

What is the biggest difference between the gold cup and a standard pistol, that really makes it stand out that is. I couldn't see it being more accurate, as that is determined by the length of the barrel, the bore ratio, and of course the individual squeezing the trigger.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool][cool]Hi there T4M - forgot to mention that my Gold Cup was the original model. Bought it back in the 60's. Think that I paid over 4 bills then. Also mine is blued not chrome. The glare from the barrel of a chrome gun just doesn't lend itself to accurate shooting. My gun is in mint condition and guess that the going price today for it would be over 1 G.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]