Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
super lines?
I know several of you use the super lines. I'm wanting to string up a few reels with fireline this year. I know they are tough against abraisions and low stretch for good hook sets. What are some of their other qualities that you like? What are some of the things you don't like? For example, I've heard that some super lines eat up rod guides. Thanks!
[signature]
I once tried the original spider wire (braided type) on a normal spinning real and it was terrible! It would form little knots and was not very castable at all. I ended up putting it on a minature bait casting type reel that I use for ice fishing and it works somewhat better. The zero stretch is great for hook sets, but it does tend to freeze up quite a bit. (I think because of the fribrous nature of the stuff. I've been itching to try some of the "super mono" lines, but I'm still waiting on the tax man to return my money.
[blue][size 2]I'm a big fan of superlines. I use PowerPro--I prefer it to Fireline. The upsides of a superline are no-stretch, small line diameter, hi-strength, and they last a long time. Your lures will also dive deeper with a smaller diameter line.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]I have four trolling rigs set up with 30# PowerPro, which has a diameter equivalent to 8# mono. If I snag, I can pull up tree stumps. And I've caught everything on those rigs from monster rainbows to tiger muskies to wipers to trout to walleyes to baby perch. The small diameter makes it very versatile.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]The downside to superlines are no-stretch. So you've got to compensate by loosening drags and using limber poles.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]I still use mono for some lakes, like soaking chovies at Lake Powell. And I've even had better success in clear water lakes like Deer Creek with mono (green). Though you can compensate by using a fluorocarbon leader with a superline.[/size][/blue]
I appreciate the input on the super line question. Dennis I've never heard of Power Pro. Where can I find it? Is it a braid or fusion or something else?
[signature]
Nate,I am also a fan of power pro,you can buy it almost anywhere,walmart,fredmeyer ect. it comes in a light green box and its braided,I use the 30# for muskys and for jigging for lakers!!A lot of people say it sucks for casting but I have never had a problem,only down thing about it that it ice's up faster than mono!!"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.[Wink]
[signature]
[#ff0000]I like them tons better for down rigging! [/#ff0000]
[signature]