Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod questions
ok i got a few all dealing with size... i have a 6.5 ft uglystick medium action rod and i have a 6ft mako rod light action i was wondering if the rod action has a factor on the way the lure moves the light action has caught me more fish than the medium and theres no reason that i see other than that factor..... same line same lures same setup.... from knot to technique
[signature]
Great question, and although I am not sure, I will take a stab at this.

I think the rod action would have much more to do with "feeling a bite" and setting the hook".

An example would be "bass fishing" with a light action rod. when you set the hook you really don't get a firm hook set. Many people still fish them with light action rods but I have always found when bass fishing, striper fishing, etc.. I like a heavier action rod so i can really set the hook.

On fish like trout you don't need as firm a hook set and lighter action rods let you see and feel way lighter strikes and nibbles then your heavier action rods.

Again I am not positive that these are the only diffrences but those are the ones that come to mind.
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
awsome then the fishin just sucks lol
[signature]
Also, you're going to get a different effect from your lures with different action rods. For instance............ You are reeling in a suspending minnow and give it a sudden jerk with a light action rod. The rod is going to give a good bit and you'll get a minimal effect on the lure. Now, you reel in that same lure on a heavy action rod and give it the same "jerk," the rod is NOT going to give and the lure will get the full blunt of the force of your jerk.

The same with hook sets like theangler mentioned. The action of a rod effects everything, and can be a very important factor depending on what you're fishing for. I like a medium action rod for most fish. It's a nice medium between the two extremes. Sometimes I like a very light action rod, like for fish with a soft mouth and an acrobatic nature. For other fish I prefer a super stiff rod, like a big shark, so I can keep max pressure on him and wear him down quick. Even some shark species I prefer a medium action because they like to jump; like a spinner or a black tip. There really isn't much call for a heavy action rod, hints the reason you don't find too many of them in your local stores. Most of what you'll find is medium action, as it's usually good for all occasions.
[signature]
Most of your spinner baits are better on a slightly longer rod with lighter action or if you are using a 6 or 6 1/2 you would be better with the med/light not Med or med/hvy.

By using the lighter action, you are actually able to Pitch a little better and also get the action started on the spinner bait.

It is important that once you have casted out, you will the give a slight tug on the lure to get the motion started and then slow down your retreival from there. Keep it moving just fast enough to keep the desired spinning speed and depth that you desire.[cool]
[signature]
i do all bank fishing so i cast it out as far as possable and then work it in from that point i can usually get a good 50-100 ft cast depending on the wind and weight of the lure... and i always real it in at about one full rotation every 2 seconds for my slow retrieval
[signature]
You may want to go with a 7 or 7 1/2 foot light action bass rod for that. It will get you a little more distance and accuracy.[cool]
[signature]
i will get one as soon as i get the extra cash lol BUT i get it where i want it clse 2 every time or at least with in 3 feet if the winds blowin hard its usually within 5 feet today i went to tree tops park and my reel stopped wanting to spool out so im going to have to see what the hecks up with it might need better line then this junk im using..... ALTHOUGH! it did manage to catch a 20 lb snaping turtle with a dog treat as bait.... long accidental story read up on it ill post in the story fourm
[signature]
A good rule of thumb is if it's a single hook you can go with med/heavy-heavy. Anything else use a med rod so the rod bends enough to not pull a treble out. Thats why your boating more fish on the lighter rod.
[signature]