Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm not so bright some times
I freely admit that.. I mean, I can usually out think a paper bag, but there are times when I'm sure that the paper bag will win.. Take today for instance..

My daughter is up from college to visit for a few days and we decide to drive across town to see Grandma (my mother-in-law).. She's a great woman, but I'm usually bored to death there so I rarely go with the wife and kid on these visits.. So anyway, I'm driving there and along the way we drive by the river.. I spot some trees down from the winter storms that look like fabulous spot to fish.. Then drive on to mom's house and park, and go inside..

Sitting there in the living room it occurs to me.. I could be fishing.. In the river.. Just half a block away.. You may be thinking, yeah, I can see that.. But here is the kicker..

This is the first time, ever, that I thought, hey, I'm just 300 feet from the St. Joe river and I could be fishing.. I've been married to my wife going on 21 years now.. Her mom has lived in that house for nearly 50 years.. And today was the FIRST TIME that it ever occured to me, I could bring a fishing pole with me, walk "300 FEET" and be fishing..

I've been accused of being slow at times.. But I think that this may be some sort of record..

Guess who I'm going to go visit next weekend [angelic]
[signature]
Your sisters in laws in st george?

You got to watch out for them paper bags... I saw one this week doing a kite trick with no string or any one helping it get 50 feet up off the gound to take flight, them paper bags are smarter than I look...

I feal for ya bud, LOL we do have our days dont we, or should I say decades.[angelic]

I planted 4 trees 15 years ago, two cherries and two pears, first year one cherry and one pear dies, Well gess what, I just realized I cant get cherries and pears unless I have the other trees to cross polinate them, duh [Tongue] I ordered the replacement trees about 4 weeks ago... LOL..
[signature]
[sly] Now that's funny.

TubeN2 has a pack away rod and reel he uses quite often. Maybe he'll jump in and share the brand and tech. info with us on it. Sounds like you need to keep a reel on you at all times. [cool]

Thanks for sharing though. LOL, that brightened up my afternoon.[Smile]
[signature]
I have several rods that I keep ready to go at all times for almost any circumstance. The tackle is also at hand.

First one is a 5' Ultralite Telescopic made by Shakesphere. It is accompanied by a Pflueger Supreme spinning reel.

Second is a Kencor 3pc 6' rod. It is a med/light rod and will handle just about anything that I confront it with. It is accompanied by an Okuma Salina SA-40 Saltwater reel.

Third is a 2pc 7' Pflueger Trion PTSP 4770-2M flipping stick with the Okuma V-200LXa.

Fourth is a Kencor 2pc 8' rod #610-80C with the Okuma Catalina Reel.

Fifth is a Fenwick 3pc 9' 10wt flyrod with the Pflueger Medalist 1595 RC reel.

Sixth is a 13' Premier Telestriker OLT-1345 Telecoping rod with the Okuma Coronado CD50 Bait runner Reel.

As you can see, there is no excuse not to have an extra something or other to fish with in case of an emergency.[cool]
[signature]
My situation is that I am fishing every day. I do alot of tackle testing for various companies. Alot of the portable rods were actually given to me to test at one time or another.

I did make sure that I have my bases covered. That simple travel kit covers anything from Panfish,Trout, Bass,and Cats in Freshwater as well as any Saltwater species that you can picture from baitfish up to Sharks.

I do bring separate equipment when I am fishing for fun on the Charter boats. I use all single piece rods for the boats unless I am called out on a last minute notice to go with a friend on a trip. That is why I have my emergency kit.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks Dave, I don't feel quite so bad right now Smile

I have a 2 piece 5' ultra light that is going to have to become a standard piece of truck equipment.. And I have an old small tackle box that can be packed with just enough stuff to give me some variety without taking up a lot of space..

What I do need to find now is some good rod racks for the bed of my truck.. Something that I can put up on the bed sides out of the way..
[signature]
how cna i get one of them testing gigs lol everysaturday ill test anything fresh water lol
[signature]
I thought you might apreciat this. [center] [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6412/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: DSCN0303.JPG][/url][/center][/center] [center]click for larger immage[/center]
this rod has seen more miles that most cars.

It first started out in the back pack when I first started traveling on a two wheeler. (peddle veriety) I rode 10 miles on my bike to sears one day when I saw this rod, (yep, that was back when the sears catalog was a prized possion and befor computers)

Its lived in the glove box of a dozen cars in the last thirty years. well now days under the seat because the glove boxs are to small these days.

it also fits in my tackle box along with a couple other newer telliscopic rods and reels, Its caught more fish than I can begin to emagin. its on its second reel, out lived the first one, It stuck with me longer than any woman ever has, but then I had an old stray cat that stayed with me longer than most women..[Tongue]

I had to re-glue the eye back on it one time here a couple years ago.

couldnt tell you the number of bridges we fished off of, the number of bends on the road with a river or lake just few feet away we cast in to, the number of kids I taught kids how to fish with it.

the number of good times and the number of hard times that this rod has fed me and many others I have met in passing.

I have to say when I bought it, it was a bit pricy, I spent $2.35. in thirty years I had to spend less than a pennies worth of epoxy for repair.

My first reel now sits on the window sill on the front poarch collecting dust and becoming home for spiders from year to year, I paid a whopping $15.oo for it the same year I bought the rod (with in the week) my very first rod and reel I ever perchased for my self.

My second reel came to a whopping $35.oo dollars...

You may be able to find one in a garage sale some where, It is an old SportFisher 16 inches when retracted, 6 foot 5 inches when extended...

it is the blue gill catchenest and carp fightenest rod you will ever own....
[signature]
Go down to Jo Anns Fabrics, or any fully equipped fabric store, possibly a wallmart and pick up some self adhesive backing velcrow. you can pick up squares with the sticky backing, and you can pick up strips of the fuzzy side in about any lenth, I found a six foot roll of the stuff some years back.

you can hang it on the window, on the metal or even vinal. if you go to mount to vinal you may want to put in a couple tiny screws so the heat dosnt melt away the sticky.

ya gotta love that velcrow stuff....
[signature]
You said you have your "bases covered." LOL, but you didn't mention that you use your trout rod for everything from bream to shark. [Tongue] How many rods have you broken to date? [sly]
[signature]
Just in SoCal alone, since the early 80s, I have broden only about 100 rods. 90 of them were within the last 10 years. I'm still waiting on my last warranty rod to come in to the shop.

That one is my "Go To" rod wherever I go. It is a 5' 1piece light action 2-6lb line. I use that on the docks to catch the little 20lb White Sea Bass when they are around. I can also catch the 1/2lb perch too.

You just got to love it when there is so much versatility built into equipment.[cool]
[signature]
LOL, I like versatility too. [Tongue] You know, I have never kept a fishing pole in my truck. I guess I just never have time to fish during the week. I think about fishing off and on all day while i'm at work, but never have time to do it.

My days are pretty full during the week. I get off work about 5 or so. Get home, start cooking dinner. I feed my baby boy, check the older ones home work, and then give the younger one a bath. Once he's dressed, he's ready for a bottle; then he's ready for bed. In between, I handle what ever the old lady is nagging about and try to get myself ready for bed by 9 or so. Mr. Mom hard core all week. Come the weekend, i'm ready to snap on somebody. I've been holding it in all winter, atleast I can start fishing now. (hopefully, if the weather ever wants to cooperate)
[signature]
I used to only keep 1 pole just in case of emergency. Then it went to 2.....3......4......5.....[crazy]
[signature]
my emergency rods end up being used for loners.
[signature]
That's where I draw the line. I consider them for "My" emergency not everyone elses. I don't mind sharing with my son. He has the decency and respect for things especially when they belong to someone else.[cool]
[signature]
[center][center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6412/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: DSCN0303.JPG][/url][/center][/center]
with an arsonal of a half dozen rods or so, there are two that I have never allowed any one else to use, the one above and my Bigfishtackle 30 pound class battle rod. In thirty years no one has ever laid a hand on the rod above....

the emergency rods are just a couple other telocopic rods and a couple cheep reels that are always sitting in the bottom of my tackle box.

and the only emergency I have ever experienced was the fishing was slow enough that it would allow me time to set up another rod.[cool]

for the sake of them being loaners, its ususaly kids who want to fish and dosnt have a rod. then when I get home I put something together for him...

What is the oldest still in use rod in your arsonal?

the one above is the oldest I bought, I have several in good shape handed down to me by my dad, I dont use them. but the oldest in still in use is a 30 pound class eagle claw handed down to my dad by his father inlaw then handed down to me. that is the walleye catchenest rod I have ever seen. It too has seen reel replacements, both by me. first time was shorthly after I got it the old reel that came with it came apart and I could not find the parts to fix it. I put a junk one on it for about 15 years then about 6 years ago I put a jupiter on it, low in cost but high in quality... Havent had a single problem with it.... $25.oo
[signature]
I used to live close to an old pond for several years. I never even thought that it may have fish in it, it just seemed like an old pond.

I would drive hours to hit up fishing lakes in the area every weekend until one day my brother suggested we toss some lines in the pond and drink some beers. I was incredibly surprised to find that the pond was a bluegill hotbed. It was fish-on-the-line every cast.

Ended up moving away just a month after re-discovering it Sad