Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They're going to drain Yuba!
I rarely watch Doug Miller, but just saw this on his page. The link will probably only be active until Saturday, so I'll post the content under the link. I've spent a lot of hours on this lake, and it holds a special place in my heart. I hope it recovers quickly

[url "http://kutv.com/outdoors/local_story_066155.247.html"]http://kutv.com/outdoors/local_story_066155.247.html[/url]

[size 2]Mar 7, 2003 1:50 pm US/Mountain
[/size]
In a meeting room at the DWR a couple of weeks ago; the news on Yuba Reservoir was one of those good news bad news scenarios.

First, the bad news.

"From what I understand, they will drain it and get it as low as they can and then they will put a coffer dam in front of the existing dam," said Don Wiley, Aquatic Manager, DWR Central Region.

Yuba Reservoir, located just east of I-15 and south of Nephi, has already been virtually drained by the drought. The plan is to take advantage of what water is left for this year's irrigation needs, and then completely drain the reservoir in September to complete some repairs on the dam.

Most, if not all, of the remaining fish in the lake would be lost.

That is where the bad news of this story hopefully ends.

"Yeah it is a crisis but in a way it is a blessing because we have been trying to add structure and add structure to build the Yellow Perch population to support the Walleye population," said Charlie Thompson, DWR Aquatic Manager, Retired.

Christmas trees by the hundred piled on the shoreline at Yuba last winter was a last ditch effort at saving a crashing Perch and Walleye fishery on this lake. The plan was for the trees to provide underwater structure for spawning perch. The walleye in this lake are such efficient predators that they overwhelm the perch population and then both species crash. It has been a boom and bust cycle that has repeated itself for 20 years.

In its heydays when Perch populations recover, Yuba produced some amazing fish. Brad Cutler shows off a ten pound Walleye caught in 1999. This is a state catch and release record Perch that was caught at Yuba in March of 2000.

But that was yesterday. The data gathered last year shows an 87 per cent decline in walleye numbers in two years. But the drought may actually help a comeback story at Yuba and this meeting was aimed at being ready for that chapter of the saga.

"It is definitely the rebirth of something that could be better. We are quite concerned at this time and that is why we are trying to be proactive," Wiley said.

With water levels down, brush and vegetation along the shoreline has made a major comeback. This underwater video of the Christmas tree reefs show they have not deteriorated and should also help. A change in the bag limits is also likely when the lake begins its comeback.

"I think we can level out some of it with the habitat structures and like we have talked, maybe helping out with more limits of Walleye and less limits of Perch," said Wes Schneider of Rocky Mountain Anglers.

How quickly can it rebound? The biologists say these nutrient rich waters could spawn a perch comeback in a couple of years and the walleye would trail that by another couple of years. A lot of anglers and the aquatic managers are committed to writing that chapter of this story.

"When it is on, it is one of the most prolific walleye fisheries that we have in this state...as far as the weight of the fish and the quality of the fish. We don't have another water that you can catch those quality of fish out of in Utah," Ray Scheible, Rocky Mountain Anglers.
Well this sucks

Yube was the closiest walleye lake for me to fish, 140 miles, now after this happens where is the closiest walleye water for me to fish? I sure am glad the fish and game raise trout because thats what 75% want to catch so thats where their focus is.
There is no reason why we can't have a walleye fishery in Southen Utah.

Just out of curiousty what is the farthiest everyone has to travel to fish for walleye?
[signature]
Yuba is only 20 min. drive for me .Well i hope they are not secretly going to get rid of the walleyes there. As everybody knows utah is a trout state .They take don't seem to realize the potential walleyes make for a tournament like the PWT TO COME HERE OR OTHER TOURS!
[signature]
[purple][size 3]Ya think they'll let us catch and transplant like they did Mantua? We could put in Deer Creek or somewhere else...[/size][/purple]

[#800080][size 3] Save the Walleye[/size][/#800080]
[signature]
i believe one of the major reasons is southern utah is part of the colorado plateau. So in effect are regulations on introduction of non native species. I think about it and it is hard to see a good walleye fishery in southern utah . i would imagine they have considered it and even if they did get it past the feds what lake would work? interesting topic.
[signature]
Hmmm let me get this straight your thinking the only suitable walleye water in this state is north of I-70? I would like to hear your reasoning on this? What makes North of I-70 so magical?

We can't plant them in the Virgin River Drainage because of the virgin river chub, but we have alot of water that is not tieds to the Virgin River that we could try if they was willing.
[signature]
That really bites, but it was bound to happen. I read the watershed report that says the DWR would like to treat Yuba and re-stock it with Perch and Smallies. NO WALLEYE
Do you think they will try and do that? If they were really interested in a quick rebound, they could net a few thousand walleye out of Starvation and twice that many Perch out of Jordanelle and bring it back in two years. With a little creative thinking, they could fund it all very easily. How about a Yuba restoration stamp to fish the reservoir the first couple years? And it wouldn't hurt the other reservoirs a bit.
I'm with you Dennis. Yuba is a great little fishin hole. Best place for beginners to learn how to capture wally fishes. Classic structure and not too snaggy.
If you hear of any meetings on the subject, let me know. I would like to attend. The Utah Bass federation has a lot of time into Yuba. I'm sure they will be keeping track of what goes on down there.

walleyebob
[signature]
I dont think its a matter of suitable its a matter of willing. I dont believe the dwr is aggressive in planting fish like walleye in mass numbers of lakes or introducing them to knew areas. It makes sense from a anlging perspective but from a management perspective im sure the decision is much more difficult to weigh the factors. If anything the waters in the southern region would perhaps be more suitable by water conditions. Its good to see tha people are passionate about catching certain species but i dont believe the state will manage to that effect unless there is enough people to support the task. The environmental issues are the set back of it all. The virgin river chub is part of it. But the majority of southern utah is the considered the colorado plateau, since the native species are in trouble there is no introduction of new species. Im sure you know the big issue about it.
[signature]
Powell is full of walleyes. It's probably Utah's best walleye fishery, but also the least utilized. One of the problems with making another walleye fishery down south is which trout fishery to give up? Utah has never found a place or situation where they coexist very well.
Minersville is a dead end drainage like Yuba and the Sevier river. The water never leaves the state. There aren't any endagered species in either river system. But if you put walleye in Minersville, you'll get lynched by about 8,000 people who live in Beaver county. They were given that option before the new regulations were put in place back in '92, and they don't want 'em. They packed the meetings that the DWR held, and said no to walleyes.
There are walleyes in DMAD reservoir which is down stream from Yuba. And they're in Gunnison bend reservoir too. Neither water gets much pressure. If they drain Yuba, the fish will go down the Sevier and wind up in these two reservoirs. If Yuba is the closest place for you to get walleyes, these two waters can't be too much farther out of your way. DMAD is just north of Delta, and Gunnison Bend is southwest of Delta. Niether place is vey big. It wouldn't take very long to cover either res, and figure out some of their secrets.
Something to think about.
Fishrmn
I keep hearing that Lake Powell has walleye . That is in southern Utah . I never have tried Yuba fishing or Powell for that matter . I have only fished Utah Lake and Willard for walleye . Willard is about 60 miles for me . With gas prices I will keep close to home this year it looks like .
[signature]
Does anyone know if the new lake will be any bigger then the old one. I therea time frame on how long it is going to take them to accomplish this.
[signature]
Thats the key Xman is to get enough public in-put to change regulations. I can understand Beaver County wanting Minersville a trophy water heck I have seen the pics from the 1960's of my father in laws, and they caught some huge fish out there but now ask the residents how they feel about it being a artificial lure only and you'll get a whole new opinion on it.

I guess the question is what water would we use and to be honest I don't know that answer but my profession is turf and trees not fish so thats where I need to rely on the professionals, but I can not understand why we have to have every single lake in Southern Utah stocked with rainbow trout plus some exotics of trout and plus a few smatterings of smallies and put our heads in the sand on other species, I was always taught variety is the spice of life.

I Have also heard Lake Powell has walleye and I wouldn't be opposed to fishing there but it is kinda hard to put a 14.5 valco with a 15 horse motor on that lake[cool]
[signature]
[blue][size 2]Are there crawdads in Yuba? Also, are xmas trees that were planted last year still there? Or, did the campers use them for fire wood. [/size][/blue]
[signature]
On the Doug Miller show last night they said the trees are still there and they will put more structure in when they drain the lake. WH2
[signature]