Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How often do you replace your line?
Since I've been doing a lot more fishing in the last couple of years I've started coming up with more and more of what I figure are basic fishing questions.. (no one in my family really fished when I was growing up so I'm starting fresh at 40 years old)..

Anyway.. I assume that line should be replaced every so often.. I've been mostly using lightweight mono on two of my rods and a #50 braided on my Muskie / Pike setup.. With things atrting to thaw out around here I'd really hate to loose a fish because I was cheap on the fishing line Smile
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Feydakin - I know some of our members will change their line as often as their socks. Since I mostly fly fish the lines on my spinning and bait casting reels will go for several years with being replaced. I have spools of 2, 4, 6 & 8 lb test. That said I most say that I protect & take care of all my equipment. I don't leave any of my stuff in the trunk, back seat or in my back yard. Long exposure to sunlight is a sure way to shorten the life of any line. I didn't change the line on one of my fly rods for 10 years. Finally did so as the memory of coiling started to annoy me. Recently I took that old line and placed it on a spare reel to practice casting in my back yard. Didn't want to ruin a new $60 fly line on the concrete in my yard. Know what - it wasn't coiling any more. Certainly a fly line's characteristics are much different from a conventional line. If you fish around a lot of rocks I would check the line for abrasions. Do a tensile test around any area that is suspect. If the line doesn't hold up to it's test weight then it is definately time to change your line. I am surre that some of our other members will have some good or better advise to pass along.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I use fireline and usually fish all year long. Depending on how the line is looking i try to replace it at least once a year, but sometimes i wait 2 if the line looks good.
[signature]
While useing the braided line, There is no specified change out time on it. Although it is important to give it a clean bath from time to time. I use a washing station between 2 spools for that.

As far as my mono goes, my freshwater stuff is good for a couple of days and some of it a week or two. I am using it 2 to 4 hours a day an it gets alot of nice stretch. Saltwater..........goes for about 1 or 2 trips. Since I generally fish the salt on the weekends, I guess that I am changing out once or twice a week.
[signature]
For starters, dryrod pointed out an ever so important fact about fishing line. The sun will destroy it. When your reels aren't being used, keep the line out of the sun if at all possible.

Unlike TubeN2, I don't see a need to change the line quite so often. Generally i'll change the line a couple times a season; but it really depends on the condition of the line. Like previously mentioned, you need to constantlly check the line for burrs and feathering. With mono, you need to watch for discoloration from stretch as well. If you ever have any dought about the line on a reel, it's best to go ahead and change it. I just recently changed my fishing line a couple weeks ago to prepare for the up and comming season that just kicked off. I'll fish the line once a weekend for the next 2 or 3 months, and then i'll change the line again. I may not change it depending on how much i've used that particular rod and based on the condition of the line. At the end of the season, right around another three months, i'll take all the line off the majority of the reels and wait until next season to spool them back up. Steve didn't specify, but I also make sure the braid is changed atleast once a year as well. [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for all the info.. Everything is much clearer now Smile
I do store all my rods in a rack in the garage so when I'm not using them they stay safe.. I'll need to head out and look at picking up some new line before I go up to Canada in June.. Maybe a nice Cajun Red that the fish can't see [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there tubeN2 - at last count I think that you had over 50 reels of line. How the heck can you afford all that new line every few days??[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I change my polimers at the begining of every new season.

reason, the line sits for 6 monts more or less after about 6 months worth of use and stretching from going catching.

I have left line on my reels for a couple years [ul] [li]economics are tight I can still catch fish.[/li] [li]line is still soft and viable and dosnt remain all curlled up when cast out. and dosnt make those loops that cause birds nest inside your reels...[/li][/ul]
[signature]
I get free line from different companies. The only thing is that when they send me line for a test, they expect me to respool every reel I own with their line. That is why they send me 5lb spools.

Some of those 5lb spools have anywhere from 5000 to 21,000 yards on them. I usually spool a couple of my reels with the line and also wait till I have a few more new reels to test and spool them up with the free line.

If I am using mono and get some good size fish on it, that causes stretching. After each decent hook up, I have to peel 10 feet off, put it in one of the specified envelopes and send it back with the detail of the fish that was caught, how much it weighed and how long I played with it before landing it and method of landing. Whether it be by net, gaff, bouncing or free handing it in.[cool]
[signature]
Once I find a line that I like, I will use it for several trips. Otherwise I am forced to change out after just a couple of good trips.[cool]
[signature]
Whats My Line?

I usualy just strip off 4-5 feet and retie. but I am not fighting sharks that swallow my hole spool...LOL
[signature]
That is a good idea. I used to do it that way when it was my money buying the line.

After a BigFish give you a tug, that is usually the area that suffers the most stretch or even abrasion while fishing structure.[cool]
[signature]