Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharpen your hooks!
Hey guys. These last couple days I have been getting my tackle ready for spring and have been noticing that my hooks arent nearly as sharp as they could be. Everything from jigs to spinnnerbaits to crankbaits.

That's one thing that I have always overlooked is how sharp my hooks are and I'm sure you have too. I think we just assume that they are always going to be sharp. Well as I found out that's not always the case.

If you find that your hooks could use a good sharpen, scheels has a couple of hook files for as little as $3.99. That's where I picked mine up. It took a little bit for me to figure out how to actually get them sharper (first couple of times I actually made them duller[Tongue]) but they are sharper than ever before now!

And now that I think about it, I'm sure all of the bites that I have missed this last fishing season I could have had a better chance of catching that fish if I had sharper hooks.

If you're looking for a good crankbait treble hook, I would go with Excailbur TX3. I have those on all my favorite crankbaits! Cant go wrong!

Feel free to add!

Tight lines![cool]
[signature]
Yeah thats a really good idea.

I have a question though....do you ever pinch the barbs on like on crankbaits and just hooks used for plastics and jigs??

Especially when fishing for bass and pike, it's nice sometimes to not have the trouble of getting the hook stuck really bad.
[signature]
Nope I never do. When I go fishing I want catch the fish, I dont want him getting away. The only time I ever have a problem with getting the hook out is if he swallows it in his stomach but that hardly ever happens.

You seem to always have trouble getting the hooks out[Tongue] Do you have a longer pliers?
[signature]
Haha yessssss, i have long pliers.

The hook is usually right there and not swallowed at all. I think i just get back luck[Tongue]

But i'm off to apple creek right now, the weather is great! i'll let you all know how i do!
[signature]
That's a great tip for the spring prep. However, instead of sharpening the hooks, i'll just change them out. I have a "quick ring" on most of my smaller lures for just that reason. Sharpening is time consuming, but it's like you said, sharp hooks are imperative if you're serious about catching fish.

I prefer a diamond sharpener for hooks and fillet knife alike. They put a razor sharp edge on and do it in half the time.

I do find myself sharpening my larger hooks that I use for big game, like my shark hooks and even my 7/0 or larger circle hooks I use for catfish. If you want a challenge, try hand sharpening a circle hook. LOL

My main brands of hooks (besides my shark hooks) are Gamakatsu and owner. They are surgically sharp out of the box and are a high strength hook.

I learned a little trick from my saltwater fishing as to how to get more action out of my lures. Replace your rear treble on, say a crank bait, with a similar size single hook. Just try it and see what happens. The bait swims way more irratically and on the right lure, and give a strait back diving minnow the same action as a broken back one. [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try.
[signature]
only when doing catch and release trout.

other wise never, bass do a good job of thowing hooks without making it easier for them...

I cary a sharpening stone in my box. cant tell ya how many hooks I have sharpened down to the barb.... am I cheep or what? [laugh]

its just when I get a good working hook I hate to cange my luck with going to a fresh hook...
[signature]