Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comins Ice Conditions
Does anyone know what the conditions are at Comins Lake? I would like to get up there after ice off and get some pike out of there for all those who do not want them in anymore. I actually like them and do not have a problem with them. I prefer to fish for them and tiger muskies anyways than trout. Something about a toothy critter 3' long that does something more for me than a 18-22" trout. Anyways, any info on ice off at Comins would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd
[signature]
Hello Proline,

I agree I am from the midwest. I also loved to fish for northerns and muskies. Great top water hits and fights. You can go to ndow.org and click on Comins Lake. It does say the ice is off. Also it says that there is a health advisory and there should be no consumption of large mouth bass and northern pike due to high levels of mercury.

Stripercraze
[signature]
[reply]
Does anyone know what the conditions are at Comins Lake? I would like to get up there after ice off and get some pike out of there for all those who do not want them in anymore. I actually like them and do not have a problem with them. I prefer to fish for them and tiger muskies anyways than trout. Something about a toothy critter 3' long that does something more for me than a 18-22" trout. Anyways, any info on ice off at Comins would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd [/reply]

yah but the northerns dont belong in commins, damn ignorant illegal bucket biologists . . .

sm
[signature]
you just tell me the best way to get rid of them for you and I will. I only caught one during my trip there last year. Small too.
[signature]
Try fly fishing. Great for pike. Use big leech streamers, 4 to 8 inches long. Colors always change with changing light, etc. but i like all black, all purple, or the black and purple patterns. Its a good way to nail those more selective, spooky fish. make sure to use a short 8 to 10 inch wire leader, but make your own with crimps. you dont want to try and flycast with bulky snap swivels ahead of your fly. Fish the weed beds, sunken timber, or deeper rock piles in less than 20 feet. You may need to use a sinking fly line to get down to the rocks, but you'll want a floating line for the weed beds. Fish the fly slow, a few feet off the bottom. If the fish are more active, try throwing some topwater plugs, or a popping fly. That might do the trick for ya. And if youve never caught a nice pike on a fly rod, then you have a hell of a ride coming to ya!
[signature]
Are there any definite spots at comins for these pike? Or are they everywhere now? The channel separating the 2 main bodies has had some bigguns in there as well. I just need a boat instead of my toon. More water to fish that way.

Proline
[signature]