Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Muzzleloader
I posted this on the Utah Hunting & Shooting board and got some useful feedback so i thought I'd add it over here too!

[black]Well, I finally bought a muzzleloader this weekend at the ISE (International Sportmans Expo) Decided on the TC Omega in the 50 cal. I went to Cabela's after hitting the show and dropped another $100 on all the little "possibles".. Talk about gizmo's and gadgets! I'm just dyin' to get out and shoot it now! [/black]
[signature]
My dad has three muzzle loaders, and niether one of us has shot one before. LOL I'll admit, I'm a little intimidated by them. Make sure and post how it shoots. It would be sweet if you could post a "how to" for the muzzle loaders. I may try shooting one of them this summer some time. [cool]
[signature]
Let the FUN begin !!!![Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][sly][sly][sly][sly]

[signature]
I stayed away from them for 6 years with the same thoughts. I kick myself in the a$$ every day for not trying it sooner. They are extremely easy to shoot and maintain with the new 209's and breech plugs. You drop 2 or 3 pellets into the barrel, drop your bullet of choice(mine being the Power Belt Aero tip) down the barrel, drop your breech, throw in a 209 primer, pull back the hammer and let the lead fly! Easy as 1,2,3.
[signature]
BearClaw, Nice choice on gun!! I would suggest starting out with a 300gr Barns and 2 pellets or 295gr powerbelt with 2 pellets! you wont be dissapointed!!M.H.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip lunkerhunter2! That really does sound easy. I'm going to hit one of the local sporting goods stores and get the supplies to shoot it.

How bad do they kick? Say, in comparison to a 12 gauge?
[signature]
Mine with a 345 gr. Powerbelt and 150 gr. of pyrodex pellets is the equivilent to about a 3 1/2" 12 ga. round. A 295 gr. with 100 gr. of pellets is like a 2 3/4" duck load. Nothing to worry about.
[signature]
sounds like you may be up for the moderator challange, check out the 16 species contest link below...
[signature]
Doesn't sound too bad! When i'm able to, i'll take a few pictures of the muzzle loader and the stuff I end up getting; along with pic's of when I go shoot it for the first time. LOL, i'm sure there will be fear painted all over my face the first couple times. [Tongue]
[signature]
What does fishing have to do with muzzleloaders?? Just curious. Please fill me in.
[signature]
LOL, I noticed that before too. Looks like Dave had a few too many cups of coffee that day. [Tongue]
[signature]
what?
you never heard of shootin fish in a barrol?
[signature]
the refferance to you was in your signiture. sorry, I didnt realize it was in your signiture and not a post.

I saw your goal was to target several species of fish and that some of them matched a free fishing photo contest we are running and we have a moderators challange.

some of our moderators are challangeing members to be them at their own game... Including me, Stergeon is one of the challanges I have made to memebers.

check the contest link below in my sig and you will get a better grasp of what I am talking about...
[signature]
[Wink]10-4 I see now. Sorry for not paying attention.
[signature]
Ive been thinking about getting one myself. I thimk a TC or a Knight would be the way to go. I work on Robins AFB and there is some huge whitetail but rifles are prohibited. So my trusty old browning '06 wont do me any good there. It just seems like they would be hard to hunt in these swamps down here! Im used to hunting in the mountains of north georgia and we make alot of drives up there and its easy to know where the deer will go when you know all the hills and hollows on your hunting property. I got 3 last year up their and the only thing that stoped me from filling my tag is the only have a handful of days out of the year you can shoot doe's. I think thats wrong atleast on my land because it seems the doe to buck ratio is 10 to 1. So every doe day I'll take the first one I see as long as its not a yearling. And trust me youll shoot one within 15 mins of getting in my ladderstand. Actually the last deer I shot last year I was climbing up my stand and she was 60 yards broadside behind me so I had to drop her! [Wink]

Matt
[signature]