Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing merit badge
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thought that you might find the requirements needed for a Boy Scout merit badge in Fly Fishing of interest. FYI Maggie Merriman is organizing a drive to get people to respond to The National Girl Scout Organization about the need for the Girl Scouts to include a FF merit badge. Your support for this program should be communicated to:[/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Kim Hutzell CEO[/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Girl Scouts of the Piedmont Area Council[/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3][url "mailto:khutzell@girlscoutspac.org"]khutzell@girlscoutspac.org[/url][/size][/#008000][/font] [center]Fly Fishing Merit Badge Statistics Resources [/center] [center][Image: mb136c.gif][/center] [center]Required? No BSA No. 136 Ranking # 121 (of 121) Total Earned 0 Fly Fishing Merit Badge Requirements 1) Explain to your counselor the injuries that could occur while fly-fishing and the proper treatment, including cuts, scratches, puncture wounds, insect bites, hypothermia, dehydration, and heat reactions. Explain how to remove a hook that has lodged in your arm. Name and explain five safety practices you should always follow while fly-fishing.

2) Discuss how to match a fly rod, line, and leader to get a balanced system. Discuss several types of fly lines, and explain how and when each would be used. Review with your counselor how to care for this equipment.

3) Demonstrate how to tie proper knots to prepare a fly rod for fishing:
A) Tie a backing to a fly reel spool using the arbor backing knot.
B) Attach backing to fly line using the nail knot.
C) Attach a leader to fly line using the needle knot, nail knot, or loop-to-loop connection.
D) Add a tippet to a leader using a double surgeon’s loop or blood knot.
E) Tie a fly onto the terminal end of the leader using the improved clinch knot.

4) Explain how each of the following types of flies are used: dry flies, wet flies, nymphs, streamers, bass bugs, and poppers. What does each imitate? Tie at least two types of the flies mentioned in this requirement.

5) Demonstrate the ability to cast a fly consistently and accurately using overhead and roll cast techniques.

6) Go to a suitable fishing location and make observations on the types of insects fish may be eating. Look for flying insects and some that may be on or beneath the water’s surface. Look under rocks. Explain the importance of matching the hatch.

7) Explain the importance of practicing Leave No Trace and how it positively affects fly-fishing resources.

8) Obtain a copy of the regulations affecting game fishing where you live. Explain why they were adopted and what you accomplish by following them.

9) Explain what good outdoor sportsmanlike behavior is and how it relates to fishermen. Tell how the Outdoor Code of the Boy Scouts of America relates to a fishing enthusiast, including the aspects of littering, trespassing, courteous behavior, and obeying fishing regulations.

10) Using the fly-fishing techniques you have learned, catch two different kinds of fish and identify them. Release at least one of them unharmed. Clean and cook another fish.
[/center]
[signature]
I wish that they would have had that merit badge when I was in the Boy Scouts. That would have been the second one that I would have earned. The first was the fishing merit badge.[cool]
[signature]
you got merit badges while you were in the scouts??? I dont think I got past tenderfoot... [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]The Fly Fishing merit badge was established around 2002. However, it is not a required one to obtain the rank of Eagle Scout. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I was a cub scout, never made to the big leages. [Sad]

I think it would be cool if they made it a requirement. There'd be alot more kids getting to experiance fishing and maybe learn a hobbie they can do for the rest of thier lives.
[signature]
[#000050]I agree here.. if it had been around when I was a kid.. but what surprises me is the requirement to tie the flies.. I have talked to a lot of experienced ff'ermen and not all of them tie.. so it is not an automatic that if fly fish that you will end up tying flies...[/#000050]
[#000050][/#000050]
[#000050]MacFly [cool][/#000050]
[signature]
Somebody had to kick some butt at the Boy Scout fishing contests. ha ha. Good ole TubeDude was there to back me as well.

When we went on the camping trips, he would stop by the stream, reach in and pull out rock and gravel from the bottom. If he didn't have a fly on him to "Match the Hatch", he would tie one on the spot.

We ate alot more fish in the Boy Scouts as opposed to those MREs that you could get at Sears.[cool]
[signature]