Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Hall this weekend.....
As of this minute I will be taking my grandson to the Fred Hall show at Del Mar fairgrounds this weekend. From what I read on the show site I think he and I will have a great time. The only thing I have to remember is to leave the checkbook and credit cards at home...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Do you have a camera? You could take a few pic's and share them with us. [Smile]
[signature]
I will make sure and take one with me. If I see anything interesting (and most will be for me since is my first time to a show like this).. I will be sure to post them... thank you for the idea... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
No problemo! I like reading about things that are going on around the way. I can't be there, but it's nice to see what it's all about. [Smile]
[signature]
Good luck down there bro. Just like I told you before, there are tons of good deals. If you leave the checkbook and credit card at home, be sure to bring plenty of Mula and an empty vehicle. lol[cool]
[signature]
We are taking my daughters crv so we will see..plus I always carry my atm card.. lol...

I will try to report, with pictures, on this weekend "adventure".. I am most excited to see how my grandson reacts.. he loves going out with me but I am never sure what he has or has not learned till the next time we go out.. if nothing else we will all be able to see a lot of really great stuff...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I hope the Grandkids got a chance at the Berkley Trout ponds. The put some good size Finless Freddies in there.[cool]
[signature]
Overall the show was a great time.. lots and lots of boats of course.. I saw everything from inflateable pontoon boats to large aluminum pontoon boats to ocean and fresh water kayaks to cabin cruisers... one of the best I saw was a large hulled boat with a large rectangular cabin.. it was set up to accomodate 6 - 8 people for trips of up to a week.. if I was in a local fishing business it would be a boat I would look at seriously....

They had it set up in five or six different buildings.. the first four were all the boats and kayaks.. plus Ford, Toyota, and Chevy trucks .. most of those were in the building that had the campers in it..

In the second to last building there had fishing demos going on over a huge fish tank... even though it was all jig and spinner demos the tactics discussed were worht the time..

In the las building were all the retailers booths.. lots of saltwater gear at really great prices from what I could see.. for example a spool of flourocarbon line that I have seen elsewhere for 13 - 14 dollars on sale for 9.00... I was not able to find spools of uncoated flourocarbon (out of stock or coated)..

My one local fly was there and I was able to get several renegades and copper johns with rubber legs for .50 each.. normally run 1.25 each.. so I did get myself one really good deal...

In the fly fishing booths there was a lot of tying going on and as usual I was awestruck with what these guys were taking off of their jigs...

I did get a chance to talk to one gentleman about salt fly fishing.. he made it sound a lot simpler than some have explained before to the point that I may look at getting a new line on my Shakespeare reel ... according to this guy silver strand beach is rated as the #2 salting fishing shoreline in Ca... I had no idea and that is where he really caught my interest.. I did get his card and may, at some future point, contact him for more information...

They had fly casting lessons outside the last building and I had my grandson take a lesson.. I was surprised and pleased at how well he did.. I did not like the attitude of the instructors plus it was crowded so I left it at my grandson getting a lesson..

Surprisingly my grandson did not want to take part in the kids trout fishing pond sponsored by Berkley.. not sure why but was not gonna force the issue... we did take some time to watch the kids and one caught a beautiful trout of about 2 pounds.. I thought it was gonna be catch and release but apparently if you caught something you kept it..

We also took the time to watch a really good wake boarding demonstration.. these young guys were simply awesome.. on a board traveling about 12 miles an hour over a course of about 200 feet.. amazing stunts....

Overall.. my grandkids loved climbing all over the boats and trucks...

I got my deal on the flies so I walked away happy.. and my daughter got a bag of really good beef jerky...

A great day on a beautiful southern California Saturday...

I will post pictures as soon as I can get the camera from my daughter....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there macfly55 - thanks for your report. Sounds like everyone had a good time and saved some money too.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Awesome report macfly! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post. Sounds like they had some really cool stuff there.

I think I like the boats the best. I like climbing in and looking around.

You can find alot of new inovations at those things too. Thanks again.

Bryan D.
[signature]
Oh I got on quite a few of the boats with the kids. It was amazing what was available below decks. The dining and sleeping areas looked to be very adequate and very comfortable. One of the boats that I saw, a Sea Ray, was simply beautiful inside and out. Of course, my grandkids were the ones who found the ... uuuummmmmmm the "facility" was located under one of the seats that was in the common sitting area.. and not only did they find it there they made sure everyone in the area knew that they found it and where it was... and that was all followed with a loud.. "EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW"....

MacFly
[signature]
[black][size 5]LMAO![/size][/black]
[signature]
Nice job Macfly55. I guess the kids found the best seat in the house (Boat).

[cool]
[signature]
Thank you.. I still want to post pics when I get the camera back.....especially if the one of grandson getting a casting lesson is decent..

Leave it to kids to find the hidden potty.. funniest part was the reaction of the people around them... heheh they all had to come take a look see for themselves.. and then comes the

EEEEWWWWWWsssss

MacFly [cool]
[signature]