Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catching and storing minnows etc
I have never used minnows, carp, chub and sucker meat etc in my fishing. I have read many posts where this tactic has been successfull on lakes I like to fish.

1- How do you catch and store your carp, chub sucker meat?

2- How do you catch and store your minnows

3-Where would I look for minnows?

Carp are readilly found do you just fillet them up and cut them in chunks?

It seems When frozen the chunks become a block of frozen flesh making it impossible to seperate?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks heaps
[signature]
FG, Fish Lake or Johnsons for decent suckers, UL for carp. I rarely pre cut chucks. Merely slab (full or 1/2 slabs) them and freeze it skin on and use them as needed. Toss whats left of the slab at the end of the day.

E lake for shiners, Yuba for Fat heads. Some salt, I dont,, merely freeze in packages of 6 to a dozen. I use traps.
[signature]
Jordan River is also a good source for suckers.
[signature]
Coldfooter, where is e lake? What kind of traps do you use? I have read about hand nets, but not traps. You salt your minnows before freezing?

Thanks
[signature]
E Lake is Electric Lake and is located up Fairview Canyon. Electric Lake has recently been found to have Whirling Disease. On the UDWR website in the ideas to prevent the spread of whirling disease I found:
[font "Arial"] [left]"Do not use trout, whitefish, or salmon parts as cut bait[/font][font "Arial"]."[/font][/left] [left][font "Arial"] [/left][/font]It appears that it is safe to use non-game species cut bait; however, if mud from Electric Lake got mixed in with the minnows that could spread whirling disease.
[signature]
[size 1]"Jordan River is also a good source for suckers"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]...only when I'm there it seems...! [/size]
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
kent you got a real good point with the whirling disease in E-lake.. everyone should make sure that they clean there traps and nett's real good after getting minnows there.. it's probley good idea to wash the minnows good as well befor bagging them..
[signature]
Minnow traps are just a little metal or fabric trap sold at sporting good stores for catching minnows. They are a lot of fun. Electric lake is a great place to take the family and spend a day catching minnows and cutts.
[signature]
what is used to get the minnows into the traps?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am attaching a 10 page writeup (PDF file) I made for fellow minnow fishing fans. It should answer most of the questions you have been asking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come on back after you finish your reading assignment and ask any remaining questions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
All the basics and more are in Tubedude's write up. That's where I got started. My kids are hooked and so am I now.
[signature]
Tube Dude-

Thanks heaps for the article Oh Mighty Fishing One (TD)! , is it alright if I save this article to my computer for future use? I will refer back to the article regarding minnows.

I cant wait to use these techniques, esp with a two pole permit!

Thanks again all!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you like it. Feel free to use it as you wish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You did not mention whether or not you are a catfish fan. If you are, I have a couple of other writeups you might like to have. See attachments.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
for catching minnows i got 2 words for ya. cast net! you take that up to scofield one day in the summer for just a few hours, and you will have enough bait for the whole year. that is the one and only time i hit scofield. once a year, every year. i call it "the annual bait run". how long will a five gallon bucket of minnows last you? laters
[signature]
Hey Pat! Didn't someone get in trouble a couple years ago for publishing on this site that they were stocking up on minnows to use for bait?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Rabble rouser. No, the problem was not the STOCKING UP of minnows. It was bringing minnows home...ALIVE. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are no restrictions on stockpiling minnows, as long as they are dead and preserved...frozen or salted...or both.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
OK, but I knew you'd set me straight, besides I'm too far away to hit anylonger! How you doing? Hitting the water hard?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No silly. Most of the water is soft now. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been getting out a couple of times a week, and I have been catching fish. Nothing spectacular yet. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You probably read my post on smackin' some good kitties at Utah Lake. A 12 pounder was taken at Lindon yesterday. (Not by me) [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yup I something, don't read them all but scan, a bit, sure wish I could be there but I gotta take care of bussiness here until the family is settled
[signature]
What time of year do you go to schofield?

It is pretty far for me to go to schofield, what kind of minnows do you get? Are there places closer to Ogden you could suggest!

Nice kitty in your avatar pic

Thanks
[signature]