Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Wind report
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]The forecast showed lots of wind today so we headed up early to beat the wind. We were on the lake fishing by 7:00 and had hits right away. We fished in 45 feet of water just south of the Rock Pile. It is much harder to locate the Rock Pile when you are the first ones there. We didn't see a soul until about 8:30. The weather was beautiful and the wind wasn't blowing much at all. We landed a few cutts but the Macks continued to allude us. We were fishing just off of the bottom with clear 3.5" tubes with multicolored sparkles that had been soaked in cisco on 3/8 oz. chartreuse heads. We had many bites that we screwed up . . . I mean we were trying BLM's long line release technique so we didn't land the first few guppies[Tongue]. I fished with my old limp stick and mono line because I kept setting the hook too hard with my new stiffer rod and superline. It requires about 3' of hook set and fast reflexes, but it is what I am used to. The wind picked up about 10:00 and we decided not to take our chances in a 12' boat and 250 lbs of dead weight (me). But before we left I did finally land my first Bear Lake Mack[/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[Image: TYLE9991CustomImage0194379.jpg]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]Yes that is a $h!t eatin grin on my face. It weighed just over 8 lbs. and it was 29" long. Even though our day was cut short, we had a blast. Thanks Mike for taking me out in your boat and not throwing me overboard. You will be teaching me when the walleye action picks up. Thanks to all of you BFTers who have shared information on Bear Lake, you guys are awesome. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
Nice fish Hopper,for your first "BLM" that is a dandy,you are hooked now,and I don't blame you for getting off early in a 12'boat them waves can be a bugger.Where did you launch from??"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey! Don't knock those advanced fishing techniques; they've taken years to perfect! BTW, nice fish pic![/size][/font]
[signature]
Congratulations P Hopper, nice fish. I thought Mike had a 18ft
tracker? or did he take you out in his duck hunting boat? WH2
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]WH2, Different Mike, the Mike I fish with is a fellow engineering student. You must be talking about Predator. Did he go to the Bear today?[/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]MH, we put in at the beach by Ideal. When I moved away from the gorge, I thought I would have to forget catching big macks for a while. It took way more than three trips at the gorge to catch a fish like that. I am really taking a liking to Bear Lake. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]BLM, I am just learning from the master, actually I have been inadvertently practicing your long line release techniques for a while now. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
Congratulations Hopper on a great looking fish!
[signature]