Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
power pro vs whiplash
Hey All

Help me choose line please. What's better power pro or berkley whiplash?
[signature]
Welcome to bigfishtackle,
thanks for posting your quary here.

this sounds like a loaded question, I am sure on your part it isnt.

they are both mighty fine lines.

I think to answer your question we need to know a little more about your particular style of fishing.

It may come down to just being a matter of tossing a coin or personal prefferance... in my case I would stick to berkley. Reason? their product line has never let me down year in and year out.... Power Pro? I cant knock it...

so lets hear a little about your style..
[ul] [li]You are fishing for?[/li] [li]You are using spin or bait caster?[/li] [li]Line streach is an issue for you? aposed or prefered.[/li] [li]what pound test line?[/li][/ul]
[signature]
hello
thanks for you attention!

I'm fishing for pikes, mostly in a river "Odra". It has very low clarity (less then 0,5 m) and it's full of underwater obstacles.. so I can use strong line. In fact I need it to avoid losing tons of baits. And that's very important for me because losing too much baits makes me feel worse then catching no fish. What pound test? for me it's minimum 10kg (about 20 pounds). I'm using spin.

sorry I don't understand this point:
Line streach is an issue for you? aposed or prefered
[signature]
DaveT is right it's a loaded question. But for my 2cts go for the powerpro. If you haven't tried a braided line yet, pick some up. Good stuff.
[signature]
The Power Pro would be the way to go. I wolud stay away from the Whiplash. It is over rated for the LB test that it is stated at.[crazy]
[signature]
Fishing line that stretches has it benefits, tho most anglers prefer line that doesn’t stretch because they thing they can set the hook faster...

where line stretch comes as a value is to anglers who have learned to bank on the line stretching before breaking, a good quality line will stretch and return back to form much like a rubber band. poor quality lines will stretch and remain deformed and brittle.

For anglers accustom to line stretch we get a moment or two where we can reverse the boat direction and go back up to free our selves. Many times line stretch will also aid in pulling free from weeds, "its a torque thing" I am not versed on the principles of torque but it dose work....

I am assuming that you are casting and that is the reason you are using a spinning reel. If you were trolling using a trolling reel I could suggest a number of high abrasion resistant lines that would aid in preventing rig loss.

Since you are casting and loosing crank baits, I am assuming you may also have a knot problem. If you are seeing pig tails, (curly line) at the end when you loose your crank bait you may have had on some large fish.

You will know the differences between a snag and a bigfish break. Bigfish breaks are sluggish and go with a heart sinking feeling. a snag comes on fast, the line becomes taught, the line will sing much like a guitar string as it begins reaching the limits of its durability and when it snaps it gives a crack like a fire cracker if it breaks above water and in either case you will receive a quick and abrupt release when the line goes.

if you can determine which of these breaks you are experiencing you will be able to distinguish how you are loosing your cranks.

if you are snagging your cranks in to drift wood or sharp rocks there is nothing you can do to remedy your loss.

if you are loosing your cranks due to big fish you can reduce the losses by using a trilean knot and tying on a steel leader then attach your crank baits.
[signature]
First and foremost, welcome to BFT kul4!

As for your question, go with the power pro. Based on the fish you are targeting, that line will work perfectly. Especially since you're going to be using a heavier pound test, you'll be able to get alot more on the spool. It's stronger, has a smaller diameter, and is way more abrasion resistant than ANY mono line. Plus, power pro is one of the finest super braid lines on the market, if not the best. [cool]
[signature]
Hey

Yea you're right davetclown I'm casting. I'm from Poland and big fishes are not a problem here Tongue I'm losing my baits mostly due to fragments of trees underwater. If you have strong line you can save some cranks because it's touchwood. I lost 2-3 baits due to big fish but ther reason was lack of steel leader...
[signature]
Thx Tarpon4me!

Still can't decide what's better Big Grin
whiplash has higher pound test, but some ppl say that it's exaggerated (same on polish forums)
noone say it about power pro.

some ppl say that it's no matter what I will choose cuz both products are really good.

hmm Smile
[signature]
I don't know about that. Power pro makes line upwards of 100 pound test. And all the test lines break well over thier rating. For instance, 20 pound power pro usually breaks something like 2 or 3 pounds over the test. It also has a superior knot strength.

There's no dought that both products are high quality. But, the decision would be easy for me. Small diameter, strength, etc..... But, there's only one way to find out for sure, buy both. [Tongue]

We'd love to hear your test results from the two. [Smile]
[signature]
hehe yes it would be the easiest to buy both, but I don't have cash for it :p

counting all forums I wrote, more votes is for power pro and I think it will be my decision Smile
maybe next year I will try whiplash

thanks for help Smile
[signature]
You won't be disappointed. Make sure when you spool it on the reel, as with any braid, you get it on there tight. Another tip is when you go fishing with it the first time, give it an almighty cast as far as you can. This gets the line wet and it feeds on the reel better. It will also help keep the line from pulling into the spool under intense pressure. Braid is elite among other fishing lines.

Once you get the line, let us know. There are knots that work better for braided line than others. In the package with the spool there will be a list of knots and how to tie them as well.

We'd also like to hear some of your fishing reports and tactics. Feel free to post away on the boards. You never know when one of your tactics may help another angler catch fish. We are also always open to questions as well.

Thanks for your posts!

Bryan D.
[signature]
thanks for that tips! it's very helpfull because it's my first braided line!

one more thanks Smile
Kula
[signature]
Welcome aboard Kul4. I only went against the Whiplash because I had the opportunity to test it about 2 years ago. I was not pleased with it nor were the other 18 testers that were involved in the test.

The 25lb line would actually break at around 18lbs. Normally you could expect the braids to break rite at or 1 to 2lbs higher unless it is IGFA line in which it will break right at the mark or 1/4 to 1/2lb less.

Don't wast your hard earned money on the Whiplash. Instead, invest it in some real line. Go with the Power Pro.[cool]
[signature]
that confirms my decision Smile

I'm just wondering between 10lb and 15lb Smile
[signature]
The 15lb should be good on the Power Pro. It is ultra thin and easy to cast.[cool]
[signature]
now that you are a registered member, be sure to take advantage of our [#333366][size 1]Photo Gallery[/size][/#333366] just click on the link at the top of any of our boards.

you already have your own personal gallery and you can create albums and not have to wory about photo sizes and you can up load 10 pics at one time...

we would love to see some of those line breakers you will undoubtedly now be loading in the boat.[cool]
[center]here is a thumb nail from my gallery.[/center] [center] [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/553"][Image: DSCN0301.JPG][/url][/center]
[/center]
[signature]
[reply]

we would love to see some of those line breakers y[size 1]ou will undoubtedly now be loading in the boat.[/size]

[/reply]

lol you want me to take photos of wood ?[laugh]

btw I don't have boat Tongue

I haven't caught any big fish yet, but I can post some photos Smile
Even if trophy isn't big, it still can be a nice photo Smile
[signature]
dont nock it, just wait till you get in your first twenty pound log... I got one a couple years ago, it was a wopper, 28 inches long, 9 inches high and about 4 inches thick... good thing I had a steel leader, it might have bitten right though the line...[angelic]

it was a pretty peice of watter logged drift wood. I brought it home, but cant remember what I did with it. hope it didnt go in to the fire wood pile [Image: fire.gif]
[center] [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1670/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: MegaBait_Lures_Redear_Sunfish_.jpg][/url][/center][/center]
[signature]
welcome Sammy, good to hear your imput. I havent tryed tufline yet, but the shelves seem to have a lot of it at the local tackle shop...
[signature]