Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A FREE Tournament. Just for you!
[cool] If you are reading this it is for you!

A free Fishing Tournament has been setup just for you and your friends. The Date is April 12th 2003.

For compleate details click on the link below.

[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=26639"]Turnament and Get Together Dates and Details! Be There!![/url][/center]
[signature]

Hi there ssor,

I'll be taking my mom for a visit to San Antonio in mid-September and I want to fish the beach, pier, jetty and shalow water for reds and specs. Port Author, Corpus Cristi, Galvaston, what would be your suggestions and do you have a tournament at that time where and when I would like to fish? I've haunted an number of boards down there but thought you might have some good info.

JapanRon
a.k.a.tsurikichi
[signature]
Just 1 1/2 hour south is Port Aransas. 24 miles from downtown Corpus Christi. It is a sleepy fishing town that can cover all your wants and needs as an angler. It is nested on the north end of Mustang Island. The flats are high producers all year long. This little town has four community Piers that are always productive as well.
There is also the HorrusCaldwell State run pier. For some bag limmits of spec's at night, the Caldwell is the best under the lights. You will find the best time at night is from two hours befor and two hours after high tide.
The surf is realatively calm in September. and makes for a great take from the surf.

A reasent catch from The BobHall pier to the south:

[image]http://www.bobhallpier.com/Reports/reportsupdates/don2.JPG[/image]

Don Jeffers with a 41" beautiful Bull Red!

AND this was taken from the beach somewhere between there and Port Aransas last week.

[image]http://www.portasouthjetty.com/images/bigred.jpg[/image]

Terry Browning of Port Aransas went fishing Saturday in the surf south of Port A. and caught this big redfish after a 20 minute fight. The fish weighed 27 1/2 pounds and was 42 1/2 inches long.

I did not receive any info on what was used to catch eather, but if I do I will add it to the post.
[signature]

Hi ssor,

Good grief! my spelling was terrible last night. Didn't have a drop either. Thank you of the info. Your description is just what I was looking forward to doing.

I will make this trip thanks to you as the Texas forum moderator and of course 'the fish' Even if the catchin' is tougher, I hope they bite on flies. Local fly shops here I come. I've found that sometimes local flies for a particular season or condition is the best investment you can make!

Again, thanks ssor

tsurikichi
JapanRon
[signature]
Dear ssor: I have been reading about these redfish for years. Do you catch them on lures, like they do striped bass on the East Coast? Or is it totally an organic bait. like blood worms.
[signature]
Be prepaired to hold on when that fly of yours hits the water! The reds in the flats have a great taste for anything that hits the water! When you hit the flats watch for the birds and they will take you right to the schools to toss them flys at. Good luck and keep me posted just before you head that way and I will give you all the up to date locations that are hot.
[signature]
George,

For the flats:
I find that lures will work but are not highly productive. Alot of the local anglers like to play with the flys and light line. I prefer the live shrimp to entise them. The lures work the best when a bit of shrimp is added. You just got to make sure you got good footing as thies BullReds will put an angler in the drink on the first strike if not prepaired for it.

The piers:
Live bait is the best choice.

The surf:
Anything goes in the surf. Cut bait does well along with lures tipped with dead shrimp. Still again live bait is always hot when working the surf. But do not be suprised to fight with a shark wile trying to hook into a Bull Red.
[signature]

Hi ssor,

Thanks for the details and help. I have you archived as my memory fades somewhat quickly. I will take up on your offer in September. I understand tropical storms in the gulf mess up fishing pretty good.

JapanRon
[signature]
Yes the Tropical storms do play havic on the surf. That doesent cut the bite if you hit the piers or jettys. Texas rains do not stick around very often down along the coast. I have wokeup to the heavy rain comming in the window and at noon I was catching specks or golden crokers off the pier with the sun shineing high. It is definatly the most unpredictable weather I have found. September is known to have short showers but not offten. Once or twice a week from ten to thirty min. September is overall nice weather in the mid to upper 70's and I do recomend sunblock to protect from the water glair.

Try to lock in this little hint on specks at night on the piers.

Try a lime green plastic grub with a split shot just large enough to overcome the sea brease. Toss it just outside the light and slowly drag it through the light. The Specks have distroyed many of plastics that way and you are sure to reach a bag limmit!

Now if you realy want to have a blast use a light weight rod and reel with 4# line. That is an ausom way to fish for specks! The light rod realy creates a chalange for any angler.
[signature]