Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
books on tying
hello all was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for any books with simple easy to follow directions and patterns for freshwater flies.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there gurthgul - Here are a couple to consider:[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Basic Fly Tying published by Stackpole Books & Fly Tying Made Easy for Beginners by Randall Kaufmann. There are some excellent DVDs available. I started tying at my PC desk. Not only was it the right height, had a halogen lamp but I could watch a DVD and stop the action while I caught up. There are numerous free instructional videos available on line. Good luck.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thank You very much DR
[signature]
[#0060bf][size 3]There are a lot of GREAT books out there. A couple I have are "Fly Tying Made Clear and Easy" by Skip Morris. That is a nice book cause it is most the flies I use. Another is "Top To Bottom Mayflies" by Shane Stalcup, but that is advanced tying.[/size][/#0060bf]
[#0060bf][size 3]Orvis has a GREAT book that teaches several everyday flies in the front, then recipes for a number of flies once you get the main ones down.[/size][/#0060bf]
[#0060bf][size 3]One book, I will say, that every tier should own is "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" It will show and explain how to tie anything, from weaving to marrying wings for Salmon flies. It is also in DVD[/size][/#0060bf].
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4][cool]Hey there FGD - a while back I had looked at The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference book - they want $100 for the book and $59.95 for the CD.[pirate] Amazon has them for around $66 & $55 respectively. I would think that a better price could be found on eBay.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I hear you Dry Rod. Mine was in that $100. when I got mine (Christmas Gift from the Hubby), but it will answer ANYTHING! and is worth every penny.[/size][/black]
[size 3]I am sure you are right on the e-bay thing.[/size]
[signature]
[#0060bf]"Fly Tying Made Clear and Easy" by Skip Morris. - I had that one when I began Fly Tying. It is a definite good helpful source. I agree that the patterns he demonstrates are mostly the ones you want to tie. As I remember, in it he ties a white woolly bugger. I never have caught a fish on that white one. I think you would be better off selecting some alternate colors for the woolly bugger. Maybe red body with black hackle or all black.[/#0060bf]
[#0060bf][/#0060bf]
[#0060bf]"Top To Bottom Mayflies" by Shane Stalcup - This book is for some more advanced tying but the upfront section about different materials and colors I would think a beginner would find useful. Besides it will not be long before you are wanting to try some of Shane's mayfly patterns.[/#0060bf]
[#0060bf][/#0060bf]
[#0060bf]The internet is just great! I could not remember another book that helped me a lot when I started tying but a quick google search found it.[/#0060bf]
[#0060bf][/#0060bf]
[url "http://www.countrymanpress.com/titles/UniversalFlyTying.html"]http://www.countrymanpress.com/...iversalFlyTying.html[/url]

The above book has lots of patterns but the what I like the best about it was the discussion of materials, tools, hooks, and correct pattern sizing.

Skip Morris's book and this one are not expensive.
[#0060bf][/#0060bf]
[#0060bf][/#0060bf]
[signature]
Where are the internet sites that show videos on tying flies?
[signature]