Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March Open Water Fishing at Last...
Mike and I hit Long Lake today, the surface temp for the water was around 53 but we were fighting a stiff breeze all day. We marked plenty of fish, but they weren't cooperating. crappiehunter did manage this one crappie...
[Image: crappieMAN.jpg]
...crappiehunter is back!

...while I caught a small bass. We caught 2 fish more than anyone else on the water today, LOL. It was still great to be out on the water.

Nature Notes: we saw one beaver, one muskrat, several nesting Canada geese, a sandhill crane, a great blue heron, a wood thrush, red-winged blackbirds, fox squirrels, the forsythia is in bloom and the pads are just starting to reach for the top of the water.

...a great time was had, wish you could have been there.

[signature]
I haven't been over to long lake in years.. How is the fishing over there normally?? I mean, you know, when it's not freezing out there Smile
[signature]
Long Lake is generally a "hit or miss" lake...there are days when you catch the conditions just right and can slay slab crappies and nice gills, and then there's the other days.

The lake has a good population of bass, but they can be tough to take unless you're willing to put a little effort into it...pike and walleye are there too. The weed growth has taken over the lake though, so by the time the truly warm weather arrives you're looking at night fishing for the best success ratio.
[signature]