Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using spinnerbait??
please dont get frustrated with all my newbee q's, so i went to the lake to try out my new gear, i tied on a spinner bait, i now konw i should have used a swivel, but being the rockie i am i simply tied it to the end of the line.. it would not go out more than 25 feet, what did i do wrong, how should i tie my line?? im fishing from the shore at lake beryyessa, in california.. heres a great link to the conditions so maybe you guys can help me select my bait and stuff. thanks!!

http://www.anglernet.com/web/maps/bery1.htm
http://www.anglernet.com/web/lakes/beryesa/beryfish.htm
[signature]
My guess would be that it was A: too windy. B: Line was too heavy for a light weight. or C: The spool could have been spooled too loosly.

What were the conditions up there and explain a little bit about your set up like: Rod, Reel, #test line, size of spinner etc....[cool]
[signature]
okay conditions were 4 mph wind, sunny, i used a spining reel(i think that could be the probleme), and a 7 fot ugly stick, 14 pound line, and the spinner was not too heavy at all , not sure on specs cause i lost it.
[signature]
The wind doesn't seem too bad. Is the line old by chance??? Is the spinner extra light in weight?? These are all things to consider.

What size is your reel??? Make and model # would help.[cool]
[signature]
the line is brand new, the reel is a shakespear 6825
[signature]
when using it do you use the weight of the spinnerbait ONLY, or do you somehow attach a weight to it? this would really help, also i need a swivel and what esle??
[signature]
I think I found your problem. That is an ultra light rated reel. 4lb line is the recomended size. If you are puting 14lb on a 4lb rated spool, then it is coiling itself too tight on the reel and won't be able to release itself properly.

If you went with the 6840, it has a larger spool and spool capacity. It would be better for that 14lb line.[cool]
[signature]
tuben2 is right on. Thanks for the research Steve [cool]

You've got two options:

1. respool the reel with 4lb monofiliment
2. respool the reel with 10 lb super braid

Either way, the reel should cast fine after that. Also, don't expect to get a 100 yard cast out of a spinner bait, it's not going to happen. You'll be lucky to get 30 yards. (90') And that's really whipping it.

Don't add more weight to the rigg, it will affect the action of the spinner. And you shouldn't have to add a swivel on the rig. I never have any problems with twist just tieing right on the main line.

But just like tuben2 stated, you've got the right idea, just the wrong line. Change it out and let us know how you do. [cool]
[signature]
I have a video on my web site about spinnerbaits. Check it out. It might help you out.
[signature]
Hey there msepko! Thanks for your response in trying to help out a fellow angler. I did have to edit out the link to your website since it has a forum.

What you can do, however, is load the video itself. This would prevent an infraction of the rules, while also helping out your fellow angler.

Thanks for your understanding. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask myself or any of the other moderators!

Thanks for your inputs!

Bryan D.
[signature]