Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Time Tooners
Over the past couple of years Pontoons have become increasly popular. Many fisherpeople choose them over float tubes today. Toons have there +s and -s I have one and like it just fine. I also own a float tube that I like just fine.

With that being said there are a few things a new tooner should know and do. These come from my experence and for old hands I'm sure there are many more.

Pick a toon that is right for you. One that will float you and your gear safely. Buy and use a PFD on every trip until you are confortable and experenced with your float. Not that I advocate never using your PFD. There are times WE ALL should be wearing ours.

Leave the fishing pole at home on your first few trips. At least until you can row effenceintly. Buy a pair of fins! It will be the best investment you can make. It will increase your enjoyment 10 fold.
If you think they are a waste of your money ponder this. A light breeze comes up. You mark a school of fish holding near the bottom of a hump. But the wind keeps blowing you over the spot. You grab your oars maneuver back into position. Grab you rod to drop a line and the fish disappear off the sonar as the breeze pushes you past the hump. Hard to work rod and reel and the oars at the same time.

Ask a fellow tooner if they would be willing to go with you on that important 1st outing. You'd be surprised how many would be willing to go. What you can learn from observation of another tooner is invalueble. Sometimes we do not express ourselves well, but you can see what we are doing. Control of you toon is the most important part of tooning. Suttle little things like oar angle, depth, lenght of stroke, forward backward gently stroking the water . All of these are easy to say but may be harder to understand until seen in use.

Check the weather, choose a day that there will no wind if at all possible. Here in the high country that may mean going between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm to get the windless period.

Equipment is more of a personal thing. There are certain things you need. PFD, oars and the toon. Everything after that is an option and will depend on how YOU use your toon. If you choose an electric Trolling motor then you need to mount it so you can operate it. It is not like mounting it on a boat! How you do it is up to you , but try it out before venturing on any trip. You may find it mounted in the wrong place for you. What works for one may not work for another. Most toons come with aprons and gear bags (pockets). They may suit your needs and they may not. You will not know until you try them out. Where you place you seat is also very important. Too far forward and ya can't row well, too far back and your pushing water over the top of your floats. Do you need a single rod holder or multiple holders? Do you even need one at all? Net? Stringer? Fish basket? Or will a rope do?

Just a few thoughts and a few things to consider when deciding on wether to float or not. Float Tubes and Pontoons are among the safest water craft on the market today. But they are only as safe as the people that use them. Learn your craft and your skill level and stay within them. As you become more experenced there will be more that you can and will be able to do safely. Have fun and enjoy what I consider to be the best part of fishing,doing it from a float............Getting up close and personal with your quarry. The stealth you will enjoy is like no other. Have fun
[signature]
[cool][size 1][#0000bf]A timely message, no doubt inspired by our experiences on Deer Creek Saturday. You and I have worked through a lot of this and have had many discussions on the subject. Everybody should realize that you are imminently qualified to "hold forth" on this issue.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Two points that should be made are:[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf](1) You should never go alone on your first excursion(s). There should be someone to help if things go wrong. Swallow your pride and don't worry about embarrassing yourself. Just make them turn off the video camera.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf](2.) Make sure you can attract attention or call someone if you need help. Take an airhorn if possible. That is required on boats and for tubes and toons in some states. Also, take a quality walkie talkie or radio, and make sure you are tuned to the proper frequency as your fishing buddies. Turn it on. Cell phones are "iffy". You can't get coverage on many waters and it can be costly to drop one in the water. If you take one, keep in on a stretch cord around your neck...under your PFD.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Good post at the beginning of the tubing and tooning season.[/#0000bf] [/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the reminder of not going alone on your 1st outings. And for the radio, a good radio with fully charged batteries can be a life saver.

I never considered the airhorn. Don't know why I have one on my boat. Take it to sporting events and have even used it on the job site.
[signature]
Thanks for the post! I'm new to 'tooning, only been out four or five times total. These are very important points you bring up. When I ordered my boat I ordered the fins with it and really can't imagine going out without them. They are invaluable. It's rarely dead calm and even the slightest breeze will rotate you in the wrong direction or push you away from where you want to be. With the fins I can fish 'hands free'.

I had my PFD before my 'toon came via UPS. Couldn't imagine going out without it. If nothing else the extra pockets are handy for my keys, cell phone, pliers, etc. There are many many economical non-bulky PFD's you can buy and once you get used to it you feel naked without it.

Just a couple thoughts from a guy still learning the ropes.
[signature]
Thanks buckdwag for the input. Hope you enjoy your ride. maybe see ya on the water sometime.
[signature]
[#bf0000]Road, I agree with everything you've said 110%. You are taking your life into your hands if you don't know what you're doing. You can't always depend on someone else to help you if you get into trouble. I cannot emphasize how important a PFD is and like Pat mentions a air horn or whistle. What happened at Starvation should be a lesson to all new tooners. This ain't a game (not saying that Mac and Nansea thought it was). Before getting on the water, do a dry run. Pull it out of the box read the instructions, pump it up as per instructions. If you don't have any instructions or are smarter than everyone else and don't need them, at least talk to someone you know that is experienced.
There is a difference when your bladder is urethane or pvc in how much you can pump it up.
Make sure the straps that hold the toons to the frame are on correctly, and are tightened down correctly.
If you use a motor and battery (and put them in the rear), your center of "gravity" is going to be off. Move your frame up towards the front of the toons-FOWARD. You don't have to go much. Just enough to balance it out. Figure out how much you weigh along with 60 lbs. for the battery, 20(+- )lbs. for the motor and extra for the goodies you'll be bringing along and make sure you're under the recommended weight of your boat. Take your oars along too. And fins are highly recommended. And with the fins, tethers also. You drop a fin you'll be going around in circles. Most fins don't float. They sink like rocks.
There has been more than one time we've been fishing (overnighter or 3+ days) when the battery dies. Oars will save your legs especially in the evening, when you've been out all day. It doesn't take much when the breeze comes up to blow you around. A kickboat has a higher profile than a float tube does.
Learn to use the oars. You row backward when on stillwater. You have more power than you do when trying to row forwards. At first you'll find your strong arm. You'll have to compensate for that or you'll be going again in circles. If you have the brass oarlocks (like the ones on driftboats etc.) you might want to invest in Oar Rights. They keep your oars at the correct position in the water when rowing. You can and will use both motor and oars when a big wind or storm comes up. Just ask FG, and Pokymon about the storms we've been in up at Henry's Lake in Idaho.
Murphy's Law is always in effect when you're toonin'. The wind will always blow you away from where you launched. It's the law.
PDF's. Don't get caught without one. It's a law and it's a hefty fine if you don't have one.
If you use or are going to use a trolling motor, you better register it. It's also the law. Anything with a motor on is considered a boat and it needs to be licensed. If you don't, you can get a ticket.
It's easier (for me and about 90% of the tooners) to put the motor in the back, turn the head 180 and have the motor PULL you. You steer with your feet. I've seen guys that put them in the front and say they're happy with it there. To me, it's something that would get in my way of casting, bringing in a fish, or the blades just to close to my feet. But there is a butt for every seat.
Just use common sense, and look at other's boats and there's a reason they do things the way they do.
And add the last paragraph that road wrote.
Enjoy and be safe.
[/#bf0000]

[signature]
Thanks mojo for the nice words and insightful comments. Maybe we'll meet up sometime on the waters. Nothing like chasing a few fishys to get things going.
[signature]
[cool][#0000bf]Good stuff. [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]The only problem is that there are too many newbie tubers and tooners that have more enthusiasm than common sense. They can't wait to get their new toys on the water and think "How much trouble could it be?". Unfortunately, when they get caught in a potentially life-threatening situation, and are not prepared to deal with it, they sometimes find out how much trouble it can be.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Those of us who are more experienced with "floatation fishing" know the inherent safety of fishing from inflatables. But, we also learn that there are some limitations and iiabilities. As Dirty Harry says, in the movie "Magnum Force"..."A man should know his limitations." Of course, that applies to women too, but we can't tell 'em that. They exist to remind us of OUR limitations.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Sorry honey. Ouch, ouch.[/#0000bf]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I see this as a wake-up call. I said it before and I will say it again. YOU GET WHAT YO PAY FOR. Don't skimp on a floatation devise.[/size][/black]
[signature]