Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St Joe River - got skunked
But I wasn't out there very long.. Went to the mother-in-laws and went down to the river to do a little fishing.. She's in Riverpark, just east of South Bend and west of Mishawaka.. It's one of those littile communities that got absorbed by South Bend.. It was late in the day about 5pm with mid 60s air temp and stiff winds.. The water is high so there aren't a lot of places to stand on the bank and fish from so I had to make due with a concrete drainage spot..

I mostly tried 2" grubs and one spinner.. But there is a lot of junk at the bottom of the river right now so they were hanging up on everything.. I did see a couple small crappie watching the grubs, but no one was really interested in eating.. Fishing for about an hour before the wife called me back for dinner..

But at least I got to get the line wet Big Grin
[signature]
I was working the Michiana Home Show this past weekend and I'm absolutely amazed that you could safely get anywhere near the river. It's extremely high and movin' pretty fast with all the Spring rains we've been getting.

If I knew I was going to be near South Bend and had time to fish I would have probably taken a run out to Potato Creek, aka Worster Lake and given it a try for the crappies there.

But at least you did get out. Did you remember that it's April now, you need your new license?

Thanks for posting your report.
[signature]
Actually, April 1st was what I was waiting for since I had lost my 2006 license and couldn't bring myself to pay for a new one or a weekend license just for one trip..

And yes, the water was very high.. At the bottom of the hill where my MIL lives is a concrete paved area that serves as a runoff to the river.. The water was clear up to the bottom of that.. Usually there is enough room below that to sit a couple of chairs down there and relax.. Not this time..

I don't know how well you know the area, but we are just east of Ironwood Dr. right on the river.. Avoided all of the home show traffic.. And I know the Potato Creek area very well.. A lot of that land used to be in the family before they expanded the park..
[signature]