Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River fishing not so hot
Wow, what a beautiful day this past Saturday was. The tempurature was just right, the humidity was low, but............................NO FISH! LOL

The water was very high. I cruised into a little pond off the main river that I usually catch bait in, but the water was so high it had pushed way back beyond where the bank usually is. I could hear the bream popping the surface of the water way back into the trees; just where I couldn't get to them. Go figure. LOL

The catfish weren't there either, infact, nothing was there. I've never got skunked catfishing, but I guess there is a first time for everything. I even got the prior mentioned goldfish for bait. And let me tell you, those things are wicked strong and stay active the entire time. For 6 bucks a dozen, I may never use another bream again.

We did manage to not get totally skunked. My wife showed up to the river a little later on with my youngest son. We putted around to a little island off the main river so the little one could play and we could relax. My son caught 2 small bream and I caught one right around the bank of the island. But that was it. LOL, but it was fun watching little Ethan play, which this was not only his first boat ride but his first trip to the river too!!!!! It didn't matter if we got skunked or not, it was worth the trip for that. [cool]
[signature]
ha well you did way better than i did [Tongue]

so whats the lowdown with this river you're fishing. what kinda structure and fish are all in it??
[signature]
Sounds like fun!

I love catching catfish man do they put up a good fight!
[signature]
Well, it's a long, skinny river. It's called the little pee dee river. It's a black water river, full of cypress stumps and soft sandy bottom. Most of the river averages right around 6' deep. The deepest point i've found over the years is around 19' deep.

It's loaded with bass and bream. It has crappie, but not to any amount. Plenty of long nose gar and bowfin inhabit the water. There are big flathead cats, and a limited amount of blues and channels.

It can be a tricky place to fish at times, as you can see. Most of the time though, I can produce fish, even when not many others can. But, i've been fishing this river the better part of my life too. LOL, that makes a big difference.

You should've seen my youngest boy touch a fish for the first time. It was classic. The very first thing he did was try to figure out how to get it into his mouth. LOL
[signature]
yeah, a lot of rivers can be that way, especially around where i live.

are those largemouth or smallmouth bass in there??
either way, it sounds like it would be some good fishing with how you explain the river. if you have a camera handy next you're out there, i'd love to see pictures of the river and everything else. new places always interest me[Smile]
[signature]
ROGER WILCO!

Next time i'm out there, i'll make sure and take some pic's of the river for you. It's a really nice area to fish. As for the bass, they are large mouth. I think there are small mouth a little farther over west, but not so much here. We don't have trout in my area either. I wish we had trout, i've never caught a freshwater trout. I know how to fish for them, just haven't ever done it. LOL, sounds silly eh?

Maybe one day my trout will come.......................[cool]
[signature]