Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what are settline lines and anybody ever use them ?
where can you use settlines?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]To answer your question, I don't know where you can use "trot" or "set lines" in Utah. Want to do a bit of "juggin'", huh? I do know that there is a TON of info on the net to satisfy all your questions about how to rig and use set lines. They are very popular down in the south. You might ask TomP, our fish and game friend, about the use of set lines in Utah. [/size][/font]
[signature]
I talked to an oldtimer and setlines can still be used in the bear river and at bear lake. I don't know the details but some are available in the proclamation
[signature]
Set lines can be set up several ways. Trotlines are usually a long line with 6 inch drops and hooks every two ft or so and set shore to shore under water or anchor to anchor. There is all kinds of ways to set them depending on your situation. We use to set trotlines out during Feburary and fill the freezer up - cold water catfish taste better than when the water gets over 60 degrees. Setlines we would use a limber cane pole or green 1 inch limbs jammed into the mud and just use nylon or cotton cord for a line with a big hook and goldfish/minnows/sunfish for bait. Channel and Yellow cats can not refuse a big ol goldfish. That is the best live bait for whiskers by far -they can live for several days on a hook if the water is not to warm. We also put set lines out on the river by just using overhanging limbs and that is how we caught really big yellow cats with a shiners or goldfish. Yellow cats are the best eating - they exclusively eat minnows or fish and are tougher to catch. Imagine grabbing a kite string with a 50 lb catfish hooked to it and dragging it into a 14 ft jon boat - fun!

Believe it or not but Channel cats are catchable on just bare silver hooks. Get one fish on a trotline which is set just under water and the flash from bare hooks dancing will catch them.

Catfishing is better at nite for the bigguns but most people fish wrong to get the really big ones - the trick is to fish shallow & maybe only 2-3 ft off the bank and get back away from the spot cause they are super spooky. The big ones cruise the shoreline chasin minnows at nite. I always caught the biggest fish on a trotline on the hook that was next to shore.

Most states you have to label your lines with name, etc and you are required to check them every day if in public water. I don't know how they would work in Utah cause you can not use minnows and any other bait the small fish would peck to death and clean off. Setting trotlines in public water is risky cause you don't know what may run into it.

I have seen some spots on the bear river I guarantee you could probably haul some big channels out of if you could use minnows - but you can't use them here.

I have used jugs but they were a pain to keep up with.

Thats how I did it [cool]
[signature]
Set lines are allowed in Utah. Look in the proclamation. You gotta do it a certain way. I don't like setlines, because I like to be actively and physically fishing my heart out!

I've seen people do it at Utah Lake all the time for catfishing.
[signature]
The proclamation states that a setline can only be used in the Bear river proper downstream from the Idaho state line, including Cutler reservoir and outlet canals; Little Bear river below below Valley View highway(SR-30);Malad river; and Utah lake. No more than 15 hooks per setline, setline permits cost $15.
I have used a setline on the Bear river, I would put the setline out, then go fish in another location with a fishing pole, every few hours I would go back and check the setline and rebait or pull in fish. It can be a blast, give it a try and see if you like it. WH2
[signature]
thanks !utah lake um?
[signature]
[blue][size 2]Hey Extex, I grew up in Texas, then went to high school in Arkansas. We used to set trotlines all the time. Did a fair amount of juggin' too, but only at night and in small bays where it was easy to spot those jugs swimming away into the brush. We used cane poles, yo-yo's, a half-dozen rods--anything short of dynamite was legal. Scullin' in a flat-bottomed jon boat. Ahh, lots of memories.[/size][/blue]
Hey Dennis - you ever gigged frogs - a big nite for me when in high school was putting out a trotline and then we would go gigging frogs and check the line every now and then. We would haul a sack of catfish and a sack of bullfrogs home. Are there any bull frogs in Utah? I have never seen any.
[signature]
[blue][size 2]I ate frog legs at friends' houses, but the only time I went gigging we only got a few and left them with the caretaker of the property we used to access the lake. It's funny, now that you mention it, that gig heads were readily available at any store that sold fishing supplies.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 2]Where in Texas are you from? I'm from Abilene, where we got our drinking water from a lake that makes Utah Lake look pristine.[/size][/#0000ff]
Now I never heard of gig heads .Is there a site with them on it ? I use to go after bullfrogs in Kansas and Nebraska . I was a kid then but I just use a small bobber and hook on it . Never tried eating them . I use to catch some big ones . I am from the other Abilene in Kansas . tight lines
[signature]
Gigs are usually just a big 2 or 3 prong fork about 6 foot long. We would set in the front of a john boat with a spot light and slip up on the frogs as they set on the bank and "gig" them. We also used to go on the coast with a 10 ft long gig and gig flounder at nite. Sorta like bowfishing but with a spear [Wink] Most tackle shops in the south have them. Frog legs are good eating and not to hard to clean!
[signature]