Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuddebackville Dam
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]As a youngster I use to fish above and below this dam. Haven't been back since it was demolished. In the fall it was an absolutely beautiful place to fish. Fall colors and all.[/size][/green][/font] [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23289;][/center]

[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]The Cuddebackville Dam is located in the hamlet of Cuddebackville, New York, and 235 acres of the Neversink watershed are located upstream from the dam. The Cuddebackville Dam is actually two dams separated by a small island. The original structure was built in the 1820s to divert water from the Neversink River into the Delaware and Hudson Canal. The second structure was built in the early 1900s and the two dams served to divert water into a feeder canal connected to a small hydropower plant. The plant was abandoned in 1945 and the Cuddebackville Dam is currently owned by the local county. The southwest dam is 107 feet long while the northeast dam is 188.5 feet long.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Currently, the dam forms an unnatural limit to the habitat of the dwarf wedgemussel and restricts the movement of its host fish, which the mussel relies on to move its larvae upstream. No dwarf wedgemussles have been found upstream of the Cuddebackville Dam. This limitation on the population size and range leaves the endangered mussel vulnerable to catastrophic loss. Additionally, the dam restricts the upstream movement of shad and trout. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation reports that runs of American shad have been observed in the Neversink in schools of 100 to 1,000 that tend to move up the river before being blocked in their migration by the Cuddebackville Dam.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]This October, The Nature Conservancy teamed up with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Orange County to demolish the southwest portion of the dam in an effort to improve the habitat for migratory fish, endangered mussels and resident fish. There are currently about 100,000 dams in the United States and the demolition of the Cuddebackville Dam on the historic Neversink River will be the first dam removal in New York history for environmental reasons.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Great story thank you for sharing but do have one question that will probably make me look "uninformed".. but.. how is Orange County involved in a dam that is located on the east coast??... or am I so concentrated on the west coast that I dont realize there could be an east coast ????

MacFly
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there macfly55 this location is about 90 miles NW of downtown Manhattan in NY City and 10 miles east of tri-state New Jersey, New York & Pennsylvania. Yes in is located in Orange County - New York that is. I guess that I like living in a county named Orange.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
LOL... I had no idea so had to ask.. I guess that is the west coast arogance coming out.. if it not west coast.. it does not exist.. irony is that I was born in MO....lol

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Don't you ever watch American Chopper? [laugh] Orange County, NY[Wink][/size][/black]
[signature]
would of sworn those guys were from the LA area of CA.. call me stupid.. I gots to get out more... maybe I am thinking of west coast choppers... I dont ride so I dont know one from the other...[blush]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Great story. I love history.
If the fish going up stream, but not the Mollusks is the problem, they a Fish ladder about 1/8th mile long would just do the trick.
That dam is not a threat to humanity in a heavy rainy season. It would be better and cheaper to build a Fish ladder. Similar to the one's they have on the Columbia River.

I had to attend the Kodak Factory school in Rochester for awhile. One weekend I rented a car, drove up to see Niagra, and followed the Canal down to Albany.
Pretty nice country, for a place like New York, with such a bad name. It could have a pretty place like that dam.
[signature]