Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
two questions
yesterday in the mail i got a Cabela's fly fishing catalog while looking at it i discovered chest waders in the 50+ inch waist size was wondering if anyone knew of any other company's manufactured large size waders. also i was wondering about arbor size on fly reels what are the pros and cons to the small mid and large arbor reels.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there gurthgul - is your handle a play on words? [Wink][Wink] Well to get back to your question - Simms probably has some of the largest waders going. They make them in sizes XS all the way up to and including 3XLS which is 55" to 56'' [chest, waist or hips].[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]The advantage of a Mid or Large arbor reel is that there is less line coiling, it hold more backing and it has a faster retrieve rate. I have two of the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor reels in a 3 & 4 wt. I like them real well.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I second Simms, but I think I heard LL Bean also.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]On reels, Traditional (small) will hold more backing and smaller, plus that nostalgic look.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Mid Arbor/wide arbor will hold a little less backing than a traditional, and it will come in about the same size or slightly larger than a traditional. As Dry Rod said a little less line memory, but when a traditional is full of backing, the line is wound a little smaller...hence the WIDER reel, so the line can only be wound so small.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Large Arbor, A lot less backing, but with each turn of the handle you will be bringing in 8" to 12" of line. The advantage to bringing fish in fast or if they run at you.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Usually light weight because of the lack of backing, but Large in size.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Line memory is very minimal with a LA.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[blush][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Well it is a good thing that we have FGD around for when one goofs who would catch our miscues? Instead of taking the information out of context I should have [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]stated it verbatim from their brochure as follows: "Mid-arbor design - 25% more capacity than Battenkill Large Arbor trout reel and loads more backing with less line coiling than standard arbor reels with a 7” retrieval rate".
[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]