Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pier fishing tips and tactics
With the spring comming along and the weather warming up, there is alot of talk about fishing the piers along the Grand Strand. The piers offer excellent angling opportunities for fishermen of all ages and skill levels. There are many favored species that can be caught, among those are Flounder, Sheepshead, Spanish and King Mackerel, and various other bottom fish. I'm going to high light some of the tactics that will increase your chances of success while targeting these species of fish from a pier. Anyone with something to add, please jump in. This is a great opportunity for our coastal anglers to share thier 2 cents with everyone else.

Flounder: Flounder are one of the favored species to catch, and for good reason. They make for excellent table fare regardless of how they are prepared. Flounder fishing can be alot of work if you are serious about targeting them. The prefered bait is of course live mud minnows since they are cheap to buy and readily availible at almost any bait and tackle store along the coast. When the mullet begin thier spring run, they are a cheap alternative for those who are skilled with a cast net; as they are quite spooky in the spring of the year. A carolina rig is the most widely and effective rig to use. I prefer the lightest egg sinker I can get away with, something along the lines of a 1 oz or 3/4 oz. If the wind is blowing pretty hard, you may find yourself with a 2 oz lead. I prefer the use of a Kahle or wide bend hook because of the size of a flounders mouth. A small 2 pound flounder has a mouth big enough to stick your fist in. Alot of anglers are going to circle hooks, which are also effective. I like to hook my mud minnows through the lips, from bottom to top. This keeps the barb facing up and prevents alot of snags. In turn, I prefer to hook my mullet minnows through the eyes, and sometimes through the lipps depending on what mood i'm in. [Tongue] An Abu Garcia 6500 makes a perfect flounder reel spooled with 15-20 pound line. In a boat you can get away with 10 lb, but we're not talking about a boat at the moment. I like to use a fluorocarbon leader for alot of reasons. For one, it's alot more abrasion resistant than mono. It has less stretch for better hook sets and it's nearly invisible in the water.

Now that we've got the equipment set up and the hook baited, where do you find them? I've caught my biggest flounder (my largest from MBSP pier 6 lb's 5oz) right below the bait cleaning tables. I'll usually toss my bait under the pier and gently move it in closer from time to time, as to cover more ground. The big mistake alot of people make flounder fishing is setting the hook too soon. You need to give the flounder time to eat your bait. Sometimes they'll just take it and run, but most of the time they'll be very gentle with it, and you have to be patient or you'll pull it right out of thier mouth. Once I hit the bait tables, i'll cast long ways accross the pilons and slowly bump my line back to me. Once i've covered a good bit of area, i'll drop it down in it's final resting place back beside a bait table. Give it some time and move on to another spot. You're sure to get a couple fishing them this way. In comming tide seems to be the best time to expect flounder to be hanging around.

Spanish Mackerel: Like the Flounder, Spanish are a welcome game fish on the dinner table. Fried, grilled, or baked, they are quite tastey and don't share the stronger flavored meat of it's big brother the King. Spanish are frequently caught on float rigs for kings, however, only require light tackle to land. The same reel that you're using for flounder is more than enough to land a large spanish. Many anglers over estimate this fish on a float rig and thier irratic behavior can reep havok on neiboring anchor lines. It's best to lock down the drag and bring them in. Always be courtious to the other anglers beside you. They'll forgive you if thier rig gets messed up over a king, but no so much a spanish. [Tongue] A very popular method of catching spanish is jigging gold hooks. It's a simple rig, but very affective. You simply tie 8 to 12 large, shiney gold hooks about 6 inches appart down your leader. Drop it in the water deep enough for you to be able to jig the line up and down while keeping all the hooks in the water. Blues and spanish alike will find this tactic very appealing. It's also an affective way of catching green backs for live bait when they are in town. Other anglers prefer to cast a small spoon or a gotcha plug blindly into the water. This is also a very effective way of catching spanish, but it's also very tiring. [Smile] When I know the spanish are really thick, I'll set up a float rig away from the front, off to the side. I won't send it out far, infact, just outside the shadow of the pier. Using smaller line, smaller hooks, and smaller bait, i've limited out on more than one occasion.
[signature]
do you have any inside tips on how to catch the elusive pinfish? i hear they can be a handfull if you don't know what you're doing. i hear it takes years to learn how to snag those devils. lol lol lol
[signature]
[laugh] LOL, more like it takes years to learn how to avoid them. [Tongue] But, they can be a handy bait when nothing else is around. Just about everything eats them to include Tarpon, redfish, and cobia , so they make for a good bait. They are one of my top 3 favorite live bait.

I didn't make it down the list yesterday, LOL, I ran out of time. I'm going to get on here later on and up date a couple more species. I'm hoping that other anglers will jump in with some of thier tactics, and what they agree with me on and what they don't and why. If nothing else, maybe some of this info will help out a few anglers. [cool] Feel free to jump in with any info you have Ron, on what ever species. The more the merrier. [Smile]
[signature]

[signature]
with the Spanish u forgot the jackson rigs they have worked for me but iunno if u r talking about that when u say float rigs???
[signature]
Thanks for the question, sorry I wasn't more clear. [Smile] When I say "float rig" I mean a King rig. If the wind is going the right direction though, I will toss a balloon rig out and let the wind carry it out a hundred yards or so from the pier. I'm going to elaborate on king fishing later on when I have more time. There are alot of tactics many king anglers don't take into consideration that i'm going to cover.

Hey there T Bone, keep an eye out on the boards. We're all planning a trip to the MBSP pier when the water warms up. Your company would be much appreciated!

Once we get an up to date report on pawleys, i'll make sure and get it on here. Thanks again for your inputs T Bone!
[signature]
King Mackerel: King Mackerel are one of the most sout after species along the SC coast for a simple reason, they are a powerful game fish as well as decent table fare when properly prepared. It also doesn't hurt that they can be targeted from a pier during the spring and fall months. King Mackerel primarily feed on schooling baitfish along the eastern seaboard. Thier favorite foods include Menhaden, Mullet, and Cigar Minnows. The prefered way to target them from a pier is Float fishing using a two rod anchor line set up. Other effective ways are using a "jackson rig" or a simple balloon rig(when the wind is right). Being successful at float fishing for kings requires the cooperation of all the float fishing anglers that are present. One majorly over looked tactic is stagering the baits to resemble a school of fish. One in close, the next out further, right on down the line. Many float fisherman strive to keep thier baits on the top of the water, this is a misconception as well. Many times kings do feed on top, but I don't know how many times i've only caught kings on my down rigger lines while trolling around the reefs. This same thing applies while fishing on a pier. I sometimes makes leaders that are 8' long and keep my bait down deep incase they are feeding along the lower water columns. The application of a weight on your leader is neccesary to keep the bait down and keep him from getting tangled. It also helps to deploy a couple blocks of chum first thing before you start the day. Chum brings the fish to you, and considering you can't go to them on a pier, chum is indespensable, not to mention cheap to buy and even cheaper to make. Even a slow drip of Menhaden oil will do the trick. One gallon will last for hours when properly set up.

I like to use Fluorocarbon leader material for all fish, toothy or not, that have great eye sight. I'll make my leader using a very small Spro heavy swivel, run a length of fluorocarbon to another Spro Swivel, crimp in a 6" piece of 45 lb 7 strand wire and on the other end the first hook. I then go from the first hook with a 5" piece of wire to the second hook. Alot of people use a "stinger hook," but, even though they do work, I prefer a more stealthy rig. I use either Gamakatsu or Owner #6 trebble hooks, and will go up to a #4 if the baits are really big. Many anglers use a heavy single strand wire for thier leader. That works fine, and many kings have been caught off of a leader like that, but there are also negatives associated with it. Here's some of them:

1. Kings can easily see them in the water.
2. They are only good for one run
3. They are stiff and don't allow the fish to swim freely

I prefer to keep my baits close to the pier, versus the usual angler that wants his as far out as they can get it. I'll put mine right beside the pier, in the shadow. I like to have two rigs out, one deep and one on top, until I find out where they are feeding.

I really do keep my rigs basic. The cloths pin release I use is as basic as they come. Infact, it's very difficult to even see mine as I try to use the smallest and most unnoticeable things I can find. Instead of a shower curtain ring, i'll use a very small snap swivel. I'll run a length of clear mono down to the smallest release clip I can find. I'll add weight as needed depending on bait size and wind conditions.

None the less, catching Kings from a pier takes alot of luck. Using the tactics that I just decribed will increase your chances of catching one ten fold. Remember, Kings have great eyesight, sense of smell, and are top notch predators in the ocean. If you're just tossing a live bait out on a hook and think you're going to be successful, you'll be comming home with an empty cooler and pointless sunburn. [Wink]
[signature]
Sheephead: It truely takes a different type of angler to target these infamous fish. They are known across the eastern seaboard for being one of the most difficult fish to catch. Many feel that it is infact the most difficult. They are an excellent food fish but a pain to clean with thier over sized rib cage. Sheepheads primarily eat barnicles, but are caught off of fiddler crabs, shrimp, and sometimes even cut squid if they are really hungry. Fiddler crabs are the most popular bait since they are readily availible and cheap to buy; plus they are very effective.

The rig is pretty basic. A simple carolina rig works just fine. I'll use a 1 oz egg sinker and a spro heavy swivel to start the rig. From the swivel, i'll tie on a 18" length of fluorocarbon and finished off with a small, short shank live bait hook. The live bait hooks hide well in the back of a fiddler crabs shell. [cool]

Many anglers say you have to set the hook before the fish strikes. LOL, it almost appears that way. What the sheepheads do is take the bait and sit there in limbo chewing it up. When you feel just the faintest of bumps, you need to set the hook. Sometimes you won't even feel a bite. I'll usually slowly move my line up and down from time to time. If I feel weight on the line, i'll set the hook. That's a sheepy knawing on my offering. [Tongue] Braid line is very effective for sheephead because of the sensitivity it has. You can feel the most faintest peck on your bait, and you get a much more decisive hook set since it has no stretch.

Fishing closely to the pilons will score you a sheepie. Drop your line to the bottom and give a few cranks to get it up a bit. Sometimes you can see them rolling on thier sides to snag a barnicle. If you see them up shallow, bring your line up a little more.

Since these fish can get in excess of 10 pounds, you're going to need a drop net to land them. They are cheap to purchase and most tackle stores along the coast have them.

All that's left to say is Good Luck! You're going to need it. [Wink]
[signature]
No problem T Bone. May is a great time of year for pier fishing. The water will be perfect for some great fishing. I hope you're able to make it out!

I'm planning on hitting the river this weekend, as it's calling for pretty rough seas for the weekend. Hopefully, the water will have come down enough by then to catch some fish. I went the other weekend and got skunked. I was actually pretty surprised, we had great bait, and the conditions really weren't that bad for catfish. We did manage to catch 3 bream, LOL, I don't count that. I use bream for bait. We had to work for those. My son caught 2 and I caught one. (he always out fishes me) [Tongue]
[signature]
i love to try and catch those striped bandits. they usually have a great time eating my offerings. am trying the power pro braided line on my reel this year. first time using braided line so i hope it helps some
[signature]
Hey saltwaterron, what type of reel do you use?

With the power pro, before you put any major tension on the line, make sure and give it a nice, long cast in the water. Even on my new spinning reel, the line had a tendacy to bury in the spool until I gave it a cast and reeled it in. It seems to lay on the spool better once it's been wet and reeled in under tension. Make sure that you spooled the reel good and tight too! You'll also need to use a different type of knot than what you might be use to. A good one for braid is the polimer knot or the trilene knot. When you purchased that spool of power pro, it should have directions to tie a couple knots that work well with the line. If you seem to have issues with any of them, I can show you how to tie them when you drop by the shop next week. [cool] Just bring some line and a few nick nacks to tie on.
[signature]
thanks for the tip about casting before any serious fishing takes place lol i bought a salt striker reel from cabelas and put it on a tiger lite ugly stick
[signature]