Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First fishing trip to Utah
I am going to be visiting Tooele, Utah the first week of May and am looking for somewhere to fish. Plan is to arrive on 4/27 and fish thru 4/30. My meetings are 5/1-3.

From visiting various websites have pretty much narrowed down my selection up to now to staying at the Heber Valley RV Park and staying in one of their Yurts. It appears that this site is right on the middle Provo and offers easy access. Since my wife does not want me fishing alone in some obscure area, thought that this spot would be good choice.

Any information, suggestions for flies or any other possible selections would be appreciated.

Wiscoy
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there wiscoy and welcome to the FF&T board. Several of are FF members here are from Utah. I'm sure that they will be along very shortly to answer your questions. Thanks for your post and good luck.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Welcome aboard wiscoy. We are glad to have you here.

I used to live in UT and fished the Provo from time to time on the way to another spot.

One of my "Go to" flies was always the Renegade. Royal Coachman was running second place.

I'm sure that the FlyGoddess will be along after work. She is the resident fish slaying person over there right now.

I hope you get the usefull information that you are seeking and please feel free to come on back and tell us how you did on your trip.[cool]
[signature]
The middle provo is the best bet use small nymphs drys or big streamers in the deep pools My best luck has been yongs zebras and soft hackles. FG should be back today she will give you better details
[signature]
[black][size 3]The Yurts are nice! They sit right at the base of Jordanelle Damn and from the damn down, In my opinion, is some of the best fishing around. Enter the river just after it comes out of the damn and walk down river. You will come across a spot where it "Y"'s and goes around forming a small island. If you can get out to the island there will be a small water fall and to the right a Fantastic deep pool.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]BWO (16-24), Zebra's (16-20), Olive Soft Hackles (16-22) and of course scuds. They are the main food source. There is a fly shop on the camp grounds right net to the Yurts, they will be able to hook you up just fine.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I am so jealous![cool][/size][/black]
[signature]
Thanks to all of you for the information. I will let you know how it all works out, hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Is there a website that tells Jordanelle Dam water release rates?
If so, what flows are considered acceptable for fishing and wading?

Wiscoy
[signature]
[url "http://www.cuwcd.com/operations/tables/jord.htm"]http://www.cuwcd.com/operations/tables/jord.htm[/url]
Should tell you what you need to know.
Up until the spring runnoft (OBWAT[Wink]) you shouldn't have any problem wading it. Runnoft depends on how the weather cooperates with the mountain snow.
Good luck. Also try some WD40's just drifting under the surface. Grease your leader until the last 6".
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Thanks mojorizing for the follow up. I looked but couldn't find the link that you did.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the website. I also found the one below which provides flow at the River Road Bridge near Heber City.

[url "http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv/?site_no=10155200&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,72020,00010,00095,00300,00076"]http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv/?site_no=10155200&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,72020,00010,00095,00300,00076[/url]

The question still remains of how much is too much? and when is the usual runoff period?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Just trying to make sure I have some water to wade fish during my trip.

Thanks again for the information

Wiscoy
[signature]
[green]Sorry, but that depends on run off and mother nature. I have fished it while it was raging. You might want to think about a wading staff. Even when it is not a fast flow, you are walking on large rocks and boulders which do get covered with moss.[/green]
[green]I think the first part of May is going to be just fine. You ought to PM me a phone number and if I am not working I would be happy to come and wet a fly with you.[/green]
[signature]
River Road bridge is not that far down from the dam.
Check this out
[url "http://www.mitigationcommission.gov/prrp/pdf/prrp_2007_project_facts.pdf"]http://www.mitigationcommission.gov/prrp/pdf/prrp_2007_project_facts.pdf[/url]
That's one of FG's and my homewaters.
[signature]
My brother said when he was fishing in utah there was some type of yellow discharge on the fish there.
Just clean them good.
AnnaSmile
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Natureday and welcome to the BFT and the FF&T board. Glad to see another lady join our group. Where do you wet your line and what is your favorite species to fish?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[#0000bf]Anna, I fish the Provo year round and I am not familiar at all with anything YELLOW coming out of or on the fish. In fact they are a beautiful color because it is colder water.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]There is Brown, Cutts and Rainbows to be had, and no whirling, or snails so I agree.....keep it clean.[/#0000bf]
[signature]
Welcome aboard Natureday. We look forward to your fishing reports when you are able to get them. We also thank you for your input here on this forum.

How is the fishing going up in your area?? Did you have a good Salmon season??[cool]
[signature]
Yes actually there is a HUGE salmon run out here every year. It is so much fun, to fish for them with your freinds and a little beerSmile
I live on Whidbey Island - that is in the Noth West corner of washington state. It is so beautiful here.
At the top of the Island there is a state park called Deception Pass.
It is the second most visited national park in the US.
Here is a picture.
THanks for welcoming meSmile
Anna..
[signature]
[#800040]Anna, that is beautiful! Now I understand what you ment by wadeable water[shocked][/#800040]
[#800040]I would love to get up to Washington someday.[/#800040]
[#800040][/#800040]
[#800040]In Idaho, where I fish, the rivers are very wide, but shallow enough to wade. I have fished in water that hit me about mid thigh, but the current was so strong, it did sweep my feet away.[/#800040]
[#800040]I always carry a wading staff now.[/#800040]
[signature]
Thanks for sharing that beautiful picture. That is a good idea to share a little fishing and beer especially with the comfort of a few friends around.

I hope you have some reports soon. I would enjoy seeing pics of what you are catching up there.[cool]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Your picture looks like it might be a straight shot to Victoria.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]