Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
char vs. trout
Can anybody tell me what makes a char different from a trout?

Like why is a brook trout not an actual trout? Anybody know?[unsure]
[signature]

I know there are more qualified people on her to answer your question,but I will try and get a start to it.
A recent study in Genetics has found that brown Trout are the only true trout we have here,Rainbow and cutts are Salmonoid (related to salmon such as kings, chums) Chars being another family(Lake Trout,Brookie,Dolly varden etc.).
Old timers have a saying, light on dark= trout dark on light=char,speaking of the spots
[signature]
Char do below to a different family like brookies and Lake trout. The have many similar features like the very small scales,smooth to the touch.
[signature]
The ever-changing field of taxonomy has focused attention on making distinctions for these common names at the genus level (one level above species). True chars--Arctic char, brook trout, and lake trout--belong to the genus Salvelinus. Atlantic salmonid species--Atlantic salmon and brown trout--belong to the genus Salmo. Pacific species--all Pacific salmon, rainbows, and cutts--belong to the genus Oncorhynchus. This is the scientific explanation for common names thought up a long time ago. All chars do exhibit the spotting pattern previously mentioned.
[signature]

I believe that genetic work has been done since these species were placed in these families.
while posters and books have not been updated to show the changes.
[signature]
Despite the name, Colorado cutthroat are also native to Utah. There are pure populations in the Uintas.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]