Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner question.
I've seen most of you over at the Float Tube forum where I usually lurk. I recently got a pontoon and one of the things I've noticed is how easy it would be to fly fish from it. Living in Ohio, my interest in fly fishing really isn't much more than a curiosity right now. I'm wondering where a good place to start with equipment is. They have 'starter' kits @ the local sporting goods shops. I know you get what you pay for but how bad are they really? I'm not sure I want to make a huge investment right away.

Thanks!
[signature]
A started kit would be fine to start with. A 5 or 6 wt outfit would be a good start. If you decide that you like it then you might consider getting a different outfit and keeping the starter outfit for friends to try or sell it at a garage sale.

Fly fishing requires more skill learning than what is required for the spin fishing or bait casting does.

In Ohio I presume that blue gill, crappie and bass would be the things you might consider fishing for. for that either one would work though if you think blue guill and crappie would be the main thing then the 5 weight would be a little bit better unless you think you will be casting into the moderate wind at more than 40 feet a lot. Then the 6 wt will be better.

that is my opinion anyways.
[signature]
BD,

I can tell you from experience that the combo packages are generally lower end rods and reels they are generally good setups to learn and practice with.. they usually come with the rod, reel.. .but I know quaite a few also include backing, fly line, and leader.. if the one you choose does not include these items you will have to purchase them seperately. I would suggest you go a little higher in price range and concentrate on setups that have everything you need. Shakespeare used to offer rods like that but have not seen them for a while.

I know sport chalet in my area offers a combo set up that also includes flies and a fly box for around 90.00.

Before you do anyting at all, you will have to answer one question for us.. and that is what type of water will you be fishing and what type of fish are you likely to encounter there.. if you answer that here then the my "more experienced colleagues" will be able to answer what wt rod you should start with.

My starter kit was a Shakespeare 5/6 wt combo and it was a good rod to start with.. so ask all the questions you want and I gurantee someone will you a straight answer...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Scruffy knows his stuff and everything he said is right on.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]A starter kit is a great way to go. Later on if you stick with it, it becomes a great back up and trust me, you want a back up at all times.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Either one will do the job. I prefer 6wt on open water, but I do get into some trout with size. A 6wt is great for tossing bigger flies and getting fish out of weedy places.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]One thing that doesn't come ith a starter combo is SINKING line which you will want for Stillwater.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]An Intermediate or Type II would be a good all around starter, but as summer comes, a faster sinking line might be in order.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]I tell you what, I started fly fishing (many years ago) and after catching fish that I just couldn't get to before, I was hooked. I have never touched a spinning outfit or bait again.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]There has been a couple of times that I got skunked (early on) while the chuckers didn't, but it was all a learning experience.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Now I take each NEW body of water as a challenge, and so far so good.[/font]
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]......There has been a couple of times that I got skunked (early on) while the chuckers didn't, but it was all a learning experience.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Now I take each NEW body of water as a challenge, and so far so good.[/font] [/reply]
[size 3]...and that is why you are the FlyGoddes... [cool][/size]
[signature]
thanks for the tips guys. i'll probably go for a moderately priced beginner set. i think i've seen the shakespeare kit around here somewhere. something like $100 i think.

and i would be trying to catch bass and panfish mainly so it sounds like 6 wt may do the trick.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there buckdawg and welcome to the FF&T board. Not much to add to the comments above except in the choice of rod length. A 9' 6wt rod would be beneficial when fishing from a toon or tube. The length helps since you are much closer to the surface than when standing on shore or even wading. From my experience the winds on lakes always seems to come up in the late morning or early afternoons. A 6wt rod will help you out when casting on a windy day. BTW some good fly shops have been known to loan out fully equipped demo fly rods for those that might be interested in getting started in this sport. Check it out it might be worth your while. Good luck & I hope that you will return here with a great story.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Try this one from Cabela's. A great price and from what I hear, a nice rod. A little more than $100., but you get all the tools, plus a fly box with species choice flies.[/size][/black]
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0017452316491a&type=product&cmCat=cat370003_feat"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0017452316491a&type=product&cmCat=cat370003_feat[/url]
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]............................Good luck & I hope that you will return here with a great story.[/size][/green][/font] [/reply]

[#002850]and dont forget the pictures.. we love seeing pictures of the results...[/#002850]

[#002850]MacFly [cool][/#002850]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 5]YEAH![cool][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]