Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout Fishing Questions
Hey all
I was wondering, what are some of the better fishing lures/bait/whatever else for trout? I've heard Hydra Lures are good for trout (everything really) and I still don't know what power bait actually works. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks
[signature]
Salmon Eggs or "Fireballs" are commonly used. Any of the Powerbaits, The orange, green, or other colors are popular.
[signature]
Where are you fishing out of?? Are they planted trout or Homies??[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Be sure about regs also. We have a lot of TROUT waters that are ARTIFICIALs and BARBLESS.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Lol, there are both in the areas I fish. It depends if I'm in a Lake, or stream. The stream has more planted probably, but the lake has a mix.
[signature]
If you flyfish I would go with the flies that Flygoddess suggested. If you don't flyfish, I would go with small Kastmasters, Blue Foxes, floating night crawlers or even sink a worm below a bobber.

Power bait may be good also but they can change color preferrence every once in awhile so you would need to keep several colors on hand.[cool]
[signature]
For fishing trout in streams, i've had good look on mepps spinners and the rapala floating minnow.
[signature]
I've got about 4 different colors of powerbait, some roster tails, and samon eggs lined up in my tackle box that I just picked up last night lol
[signature]
It looks like you might have a chance at them.

When you get there, try to meet some of the locals and find out what they use too. You may have just what you need in your kit now or you may need to add a couple of items.[cool]
[signature]
when i used power bait, my favorite color was lemon twist. it never seemed to fail me! i think a good color selection is important, because as tubeN2 said, they change preference suddenly sometimes. also, all the lures suggested by others are good too. rapalas, kastmasters, rooster tails, mepps spinners, panther martins, even jakes lures, etc. they all work great for trout, as do flies. the key to all of this is to make sure you develop a good presentation. as suggested, look to the locals to help you fine tune and figure things out! check your BFT state board, and visit the local bait shops... if any are around! also, their are plenty of trout fisherman on here that can give you suggestions on presentation if needs be. i know id be glad to share what i know about the subject!

good luck to ya!
[signature]
well first i must say im more of a bait fisher when it comes to trout i grew up strictly useing worms but about 5 years ago started useing powerbait in utah. I live in oregon now and the type seem to change depending on location and day of the week but last year powerbait came out with there line of power eggs and now i seem to nail more fish then ever no matter where i go on the little buggers now i never go trout fishing without my power eggs.......There are some people her that also swear by the gulp worms ive never had any success with them myself but those that have swear they work better then a live nightcrawler ill have to try them some more.
[signature]
[Wink]Lol so those wierd looking fake samon eggs do work then huh? lol
[signature]
They work awsome and stay on and continue working all day no more dough its nice lol.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Come on now anglerp there comes a time to trade in the powerbait & spinning gear for a good old fly & swatter.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Lol, i never as much for fly fishing lol
[signature]
I may not be into it as much as I was when a teenager. But Dryrods right, everyone should feel the satisfaction of catching a trout on a fly. Just another tool in your arsenal.
[signature]
My favorite is a black panther martin with a gold blade. Ive pulled out fish from north georgia to colorado to utah off them. The ones without a bucktail and have the three yellow dots on the body. Free lining night crawlers in creeks and small rivers always seems to produce for me aswell. Also it depends on where your at this time of the year because the snow melt off. Ive caught planters and even a few decent wild trout on really any of your power dough baits. I'd stay away from the power eggs though, Ive never caught fish off them but Im sure people have.
[signature]
One thing that people overlook is soft plastics for trout.
It took twenty years for tube jigs to catch on with trout fishermen.
Try the Maniac Ice Cut'r on a small jig head, you can vertical jig it or hop it on the bottom or swim it like a leach or minnow.
James
[signature]
i always forget to mention plastics too! but, i have caught 90% of my trout this year on maniac custom plastics. listen to maniac! he knows his stuff, sells great products, and has the best customer service ive seen!

thanks for chiming in maniac (james)
[signature]
I thought plastics were worth sumthing. I got some plasit worms called Trout Magnet at Wal-mart the other ngiht and they ooked like they might just work.
[signature]