Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mono vs. braid
i was referred to the Giant Trevally postings at the Saltwater forum in response to my question on choosing a good reel.The reels in question were spooled with braided line, I use Ande mono because I believe the stretch acts as a shock absorber to hard hitting fish and can be the difference to keeping and losing a good fish if my drag is tight when the fish makes its initial run. Is there an advantage to using braid over mono? What about the price difference?<br><br>
I have been using the braids for a number of years and they have certain distinct strengths and weaknesses. Strengths: they are great for getting diving lures to greater depth and, especially with deep divers like a Mann's 25+, 18+, or 30+, the extra depth has paid off in consistent pool winners in the Baja (cabrilla, yellowtail, grouper). The extra strength (and lack of stretch) has helped hoist big grouper or sea bass out of their "holes" as well. On the negative side, some boat captains don't want it on their boats because it tends to cut off the monofil users when there is a crossing. It's easy to cut yourself (or even lose a finger) with superbraids if you are careless. And if you don't rinse them well in fresh water on occasion after using them in saltwater, there appears to be a tendency for the development of salt crystals within the braid which greatly weakens the line by cutting the microfibers internally.<br><br>
Well I load up a Penn baitcaster with 30# Fireline but I've got an 8' mono leader also 30# (I figure the knot will be the weakspot that fails before I lose a lot of braid...the stuff is considerably more expensive than mono) that serves as a bit of a shock absorber and lets me handle that instead of the braid when I bring a striper boatside. The braid can slice your fingers like a cheese cutter goes through cheddar (might not be a bad replacement idea to use it if the wire breaks on your cheese cutter). I have 150 yards of Fireline and another 100+ of heavy mono backing (again, because of cost). Stripers don't make runs too much longer than 150...they usually like to slug it out & take you down to the rocks. The braid has excellent abrasion resistance. Do NOT use it against the spool without a few layers of mono, though...it's like teflon and will spin the entire spoolful unless you have that underlayer of something else to grip the spool...that starts spinning and you'll see a backlash like nothing you've ever seen before...not to mention it does make it a wee bit hard to bring your fish in when the line is in that kind of "freespool".<br><br>Jerry Vovcsko<br>Moderator: Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island Forums
Welcome Lew and thanks for the great reply. <br><br>I will only add one other comment and that is "braid is often better for deep water jigging because it helps get what I consider the right action into your jigs or lures". <br><br>This applies to depths of say 200 feet +. Mono lines tend to stretch too much and cause a delay off the rod tip which is not preferable for this technique in my book. <br><br>Your right Neil. Up on the saltwater board "GT Fishing Post" braided lines are spooled in the main because they need to work the fish hard given their strength and also the depth of water being fished in (at times). <br><br>Often it comes down to personal choice. If you do choose braid lines then your reel has to have the ability to stand up to the extra stress added by and increased line strength As well. <br><br>Capt's. Dan and Jeff might also add their thoughts on their reasons for choosing braid here as well when they drop in next along with any other angler who would like to comment. <br><br>It's an important Q from either land or boat and matching your rod, reel and tackle to braid. <br><br>Burnin Thumbs!<br><br>Steve B <br>Moderator Lures/Baits Forum<br><A HREF="http://www.demonjigs.com" target="_new">http://www.demonjigs.com</A>
I only use braid on my spin gear because of the very Real possibility of line cutting flesh with conventional reels & I haven’t found a levelwind reel that holds up.<br><br>Line capacity is a big part of the choice as well as the thin diameter for getting deep in any type of current.<br><br>I often fish deaths of 200+ foot of water, the bite zone is the bottom 25 feet, rite now I have two Penn 850 spinners we use, one with All 30 lb. mono & one with all 50 lb. braid.<br>The braid is MUCH more FUN on same size fish, ya really get the feel but without the stretch, more pulled hooks.<br><br>I also use a conventional reel with 30 lb. mono for dropping bait down there, it often gets bit.<br><br>One thing about the mono, even good size fish, the mono stretches so much it takes a Lot of the fun out of the fish, till they go over around 50 lbs.<br>It’s like a long rubber band with that much line out.<br><br>I’m getting ready to respool.<br>I’m thinking of putting mono on the Bottom & using a 200 foot Braid top shot.<br>That way, when the fish takes off after strike, the customers will have mono till they both settle down, the heavier braid will be against any structure around the feesh, & there will be stretch when needed, when the fish tires, the braid will be coming on the spool & the angler will be settled enough to not cut finga & much of the real Jerking will be done with. It’ll also help to get the bait / jig deep.<br><br>Cost is to be thought about. <br><br>I have read that if ya go with braid, you Have to go with 100% braid, the blends aren’t so good as the non-braid will stretch & the braid wont in the same length of line & it defeats the purpose..?<br><br>If it for your own personal use, I’ll recommend braid with a mono leader where necessary, you will be used to the braid & Know it is Dangerous, if your gonna be sharing the reel with others, think about the line cutting finga part.... [Wink]
OH… BTW…<br><i>Jerry..?</i><br>Do ya think it would cut as well with Swiss cheese as ya say it does wit chedda..?<br><br>[Wink]
I started fishing with 6LbsTest line Stren .But that Ande is some good line. but if you want some good holding line for any type of fishing try some of that Pline. That's About the best Yet.<br><br>
----Do ya think it would cut as well with Swiss cheese as ya say it does wit chedda----<br><br>Swiss? Nah...only domestic cheeses, Dan...them Swiss ones ain't made properly...look at all them holes! Smile<br><br>Jerry Vovcsko<br>Moderator: Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island Forums
Hello Yellow Sub,<br>I don't like the braided stuff at all,I've bee useing Yo-Zuri's HY-BRED line for a few month's and love it!!!<br>It's a mix of mono and nylons,no not problems, great strenght and most important to me no memory!!!!try it!<br>TIGHT LINES,TIM<br><br>
Thanks Captain Dan, since I use only spinning gear I think I will try your tip on braid with mono leader to increase line capacity and reduce some of that stretch when I am bottom fishing. I will also keep in mind that braid cuts fingers in all of the excitement.I will get back to you on how well it cuts cheese. <br><br>
Thanks for the great insight Vegasllew. Very informative and cleared up some cloudy areas. Seems like a very good line which should work well with the right care. I think I now have the information I need to make an educated choice.<br><br>
Thanks on the braid tips, Jerry. Especially about using the mono backing to avoid backlash which could be an easy oversight until it is too late. I should be back on the open water scene and away from the jetty/beach setting in a couple of weeks when my friends launch their boat. We will be looking to invest in a couple of medium sized trolling rigs and these tips should come in extremely handy. I look forward to more great tips later on.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yellowsub on 07/10/01 06:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>