Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
motor problems
Does anyone know what could be wrong with a motor if it suddenly dies when in use? I can get it to work constantly if I am constantly pumpin gas manually. And while I'm at it, what are desirable trolling speeds for rainbow trout with pop gear?
[signature]
Hey mountain man, try replacing the bulb on your hose. Those things are cheap and can go bad real easy.
[signature]
In the past few years I had a similar problem with 115 hp out board, the shop said it could have been a number of things, air getting in the line somewhere, plugged carbs, or bad gas. But I believe the air in the lines causing gas to have lack of vaccum to get into the engine. Like predator said simply a new pump bulb would probably do the trick.
[signature]
another thing that can cause your motor to shut off on you is the water pump.

if it is wweek or worn out the motor will stall and restart after it has cooled down. hand pumping the bulb in this case will only dump fuel in to the over flow in the carb and on to the lake.
[signature]
If it is an older Evinrude motor like both of mine (1963 and 1965), the carburetor is fed by a small diaphragm pump. If that has even the slightest tear, or has hardened, it will not continue to pump fuel into the engine. The engine will run as long as you provide the pressure, and will die as soon as it can run out of gas after you stop. Try that if it isn't the bulb as has been suggested and is most likely.

As for the other part of your question. I have had luck anywhere from .5 to 5 m.p.h. You should have seen the strike at 5. Rainbows will chase it down if they can catch it. I usually troll Doc Shelton pop gear and a Triple Teaser combo for bows and stay around 1.5-2 m.p.h. Hope it helps.
[signature]
TANK FILTERS , THE BULB , PINHOLE AIR LEAKS IN THE CONNECTIONS FROM WARN O RINGS , CARB FILTER , PLUGED CARB PORTS , STRECHED , ROTTED , SCUM COVERED , OR PUNCTURED DIAPHRAMS , CARB FLOAT IS NOT PROPERLY ADJUSTED , POOR JETTING OR CORODED JETS , GASKET LEAKS , WEAK VALVES , AIR FILTER , CLOGED OR WORN WATER PUMP .

AFTER ALL THAT TIME SPENT WHEN I HAD THIS PROBLEM , I TOOK IT IN FOR A TUNE UP . I HAD A BAD PICK UP COIL ON ONE SIDE OF THE ENGINE .

MY ADVICE , LET A REPTUABLE MECHANIC FIX IT , IF IT GOES BAD AFTER THAT , IT'S HIS HEADACHE . PROBBABLY LESS ON YOUR WALLET TOO !

I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY FIXING NOTHING .
[signature]
in addition to [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=Curtisfish;"]Curtisfish[size 1] [/size][/url] was saying about the diaphram in the carb deprie floating around in side of the carb housing can cause simillar conditions. to check if this is the posible problem close the valve screws all the way then take them compleatly out pump your ball to flush out any posible sediments out the valves.

then inspect valve screws for rust or tarnish clean aproperatly screw the valve screws back in all the way (do not seet-over tighten) then return to factory pre-set recomended ajustmints.

especialy in older modles bleeading of the carb is a good thing. and may save you countless numbers of hours of lost performance time due to unscedualed maintainance
[signature]
[size 3] How many cylinders does it have, and are you getting wet fouling at all? I say your fuel pump is probably no good. I just replaced the one on my 1968 Johnson 6hp 2 cylinder motor. Wet fouling is usually a good indication of that.[/size]

[size 3] AFDan52[/size]
[signature]