Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Bass and Pike
[size 1]Spring is a great time to fish the small ponds which melt first. During the week of 3/26/07 we caught over 300 largemouth in four days. Most in 1-2 lb range ,3 in 3-6lb range and all on crankbaits .

4/10/07 Caught 3 pike 5-7 lbs, 2 largemouth 5lbs & 6.5 lbs. Asstd other Pike and Bass 4-6 lb range.
Note:
Been fishing many years on big lakes with fancy equip. fishing was never consistent and produced avg. fish . Now I use a little rowboat on hidden backwater private lakes and ponds and catch tons of giant fish . Ive learned my lesson! [/size]
[size 1]always catch and release[Wink][/size]
[signature]
First and foremost, i'd like to welcome you to the BFT message boards!

You couldn't be anymore right about the smaller private ponds. I love fishing them and they are full of fish. I enjoy fishing golf course ponds and small farm ponds as they are rarely fished and usually contain large numbers of big fish. Thanks for sharing the report and the pic! Nice fish partner!

Bryan D.
[signature]
That's some great fishing you have going on there![Smile]

Where are you located??
[signature]
I totally agree, small ponds and creeks are about all I fish anymore. Everynow and then you might see me on a resevoir, but all my honey holes are in small ponds are one creek in particular [Wink]
[signature]
Welcome aboard snakehunter. Thanks for the nice report.[cool]
[signature]
There use to be a really great pond near where I use to live. Unfortunatly some jagoff decided to drop in a few Snakehead fish a handfull of years ago and turn my little hole into National News.

That sucked... They shocked the pond and killed everything in it. And the snakehead still made it to a Chesapeake tributary anyway.
[signature]
Snakehead? I've heard of this one, but never seen one; I don't think. Show me a picture. [Smile]
[signature]
Here's a link to a news gallery on this one.

[url "http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/outdoors/bal-snakeheadgallery,0,6299993.photogallery?coll=bal-sports-outdoors"]http://www.baltimoresun.com/...=bal-sports-outdoors[/url]

Snakehead is an invasive species from china. Extreme predator. Can walk on land for short distences and represented a massive threat to the chesapeake bay. In 2000 some goofball released a male and female into my favorite fishing hole at the time. In 2002 some local kid caught one and turned it into DNR cause he didn't know what it was. There was a huge scandel over the whole thing that made national news.
[signature]
Check this out:
[center][url "http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/fishinggraphics/snakeheadbowfin.jpg"][/url][url "http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/fishinggraphics/snakeheadbowfin.jpg"][Image: snakeheadbowfinsmall.jpg][/url][/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center] [left]They look very similar to a bowfin, but apparently are a serious problem. I've caught plenty of bowfin in my life, infact, I enjoy targeting them when nothing else is around. I must say, i've never noticed any snakeheads in our waters. (thankfully) I'll definately keep my eyes open now though. [cool][/left] [center] [/center]
[signature]
If anyone anywhere in America catches a snakehead anywhere at all. The thing you should do is immiditly get it out of the water, take a picture, keep it out of the water and call the DNR immediatly. If you don't have a cell phone to call them then cut your trip short and find a phone. Dial information for the DNR number in your area if you need to.

Tell them you have a snakehead fish in your posession and give them all the details. They will probubly send someone out right away to meet you. There is nowhere in the USA where snakehead is native. The species is so agressive that it can destroy all the local habitat.

I believe the Maryland DNR still gives a nice little reward if you catch one of these and call them in on it. I would think that a reward of some kind in other places is available.

Happy Hunting [sly]
[signature]
[green][size 3][mad]Just another case of illegal immigrants causing problems. I recall when living in Florida hearing about piranhas being released in local waters. People buy them from illegal suppliers for their aquariums then after a while for what ever reason then just dump them in some water way never realizing the problems these fish can cause on the local fisheries. Seems like there is a dumb [red]butt[/red] born every second.[/size][/green]
[signature]
You got that right DR, i'd say there's more than one born every second. You know what though, ignorance makes me Angry. But, I still have a certain level of forgiveness for those who don't understand the effects of what they do. Accidental if you will.

I don't, however, have any tolerance for the stupid. Stupid as in knowing full well the affects of thier actions, yet, follow through anyhow. Those people should get a beating, like with a cane soaked in water. (remember that?)
[signature]
you may find this hard to beleive, but we have piranha living in the great lakes of michigan wisconson and canada.

they survive year round near power plants where the water temps are holding around 70 year round from the cooling water discharges...

every year we hear about some one pulling up a 3-5 pound piranha..
[signature]
That sounds cool in one way and Sad in the other. I'm sure they would be fun to fish for but I would expect to go to Central and South America to do it.[crazy]
[signature]
I guess the real chalange would be to get the hook of his mouth and keep your digets... [shocked] I carry hemostats with me, when I dont loose them, but still if it flops loose them razor teeth just have to touch ya go git you to bleed...

now them saber tooth bass down in mexico look like they would be fun to catch...[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
There use to be a really great pond near where I use to live. Unfortunatly some jagoff decided to drop in a few Snakehead fish a handfull of years ago and turn my little hole into National News.

That sucked... They shocked the pond and killed everything in it. And the snakehead still made it to a Chesapeake tributary anyway.[/reply]
Snakeheads are starting to become a problem in the Susquehanna river(PA) which dumps into the Chesapeake bay.

More and more are caught every year and at sometime I see them becoming a major problem.
[signature]
Snakeheads used to me one of the ultamate aquarium fish untill people starting to dump them into local waters. I used to want to get a big fish tank and keep some snakeheads. They are illigal to keep or sale now.
[signature]
Bowfin?? I think I saw one once in a cut fishing for Bass. How do you catch them? Why would you? and what do with them???? I'm just wondering[shocked]. Aren't they a eating machine! Oh can you eat them??

As for Snakeheads I used to think they where cool. That is until they told me how fast they grew and how much they eat[Tongue]

I have been out of the pet fish thing for a while, but we are starting again my girls got a small tank so we have small cute fish. So then cute can be cool when it makes a 5 year old happy, as long as I can keep her from trying to pet them like the gold fish we had yes HAD. She also loves to play with live worms when I get to take her fishing she plays with the crawlers and always wants to handle the fish. I think it's cool she likes worms I may have a new fishing buddy yet.[Smile]
Back to the Bowfin are they over the states or mainly where??Snakeheads can they take the cold??

Tx KC
[signature]
I caught my first bowfin last spring bass fishing in the creek. I looked down and there was about a 10 pound fish right at the bank and I didnt know what is was. So I reeled in my zoom fluke (one of my bread and butter lures) and let it sit on its head. That bowfin (called mudfish down here) inhaled my lure and put up a pretty good fight. They seem to have very powerful jaws with teeth plates like a catfish. I used plyers and pulled the hook out and kicked it back in the water. Now Ive seen alot of people catch them, cut them open and through them on the bank. I could see doing that to a snakehead but bowfin are native and yea they might eat bass and crappie but they belong here. I hate seeing people do that to bowfin and gar just because they consider them "trash fish". Personally I enjoy catching "trash fish" mix it up alittle bit. Plus they put up good fights, bowfin fight alot like a smallmouth in my opinion. And I'll target carp just so I can catch 25-40 pound fish. I guess what Im getting at is I love to catch anything that swims [Wink] Matt
[signature]
As for eating them, I wouldnt! Ive talked to people who have and say the meat is funny, almost like cotton? You have to make fried patties and they told me that they make good table fare. I couldnt see myself eating one though and I wouldnt advise it, thats for sure.
[signature]