Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I like FF
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]After reading a post on another BFT board I thought to myself "Self why do you like Fly Fishing?" You know it isn't as boring as other methods of fishing. You are busy all the time trying to out smart your prey. Fishing from a boat, pier or bank you cast your bait then sit back and relax. Oh I am probably going to get slamed by the none FFers but then hey that's my job & that is to get the ball rolling. Not quite like that fool Imus for he dropped an atom bomb before ducking for cover. Duh, I wonder how it feels to lose a job that was paying $10 million /year? Ouch[pirate][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[#500000]Ill be the first to answer...lol..[/#500000]
[#500000][/#500000]
[#500000].. being outdoors.. the fresh aire..being outside.. its is amazing what you can see and hear when you are out on the water.. how clear things can become.. [/#500000]
[#500000][/#500000]
[#500000].. the challenge.. with spinnning and even baitcasting.. it was toss out the bait and watch the bobber (especially spinning... )bait casting was more active but still got boring at times (mainly cause I had to stay around the area waiting to see what happened on the spinning rig.. [laugh][/#500000]
[#500000][/#500000]
[#500000]..changing tactics.. fly.. postition.. all dependent on environment.. fish movement.. weather.. going up and down the shore.. what did not work before may now.. etc....[/#500000]
[#500000][/#500000]
[#500000]but most of all.. fly fishing or not.. going out to fish often gives me a chance to spend some quality time with my grandson.. and we both like that idea... A LOT....[Smile][/#500000]
[#500000][/#500000]
[#500000]MacFly [cool][/#500000]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Right On Guys......Plus FF are the best people in the world...just ask us, we'll tell you[laugh][/size][/black]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Well said macfly55.[/center] [center]I probably enjoy the wading aspect of fly fishing the most. Tubing is very relaxing but I feel closer to nature when I am in a nice flowing river sipping a cool glass of Chardonnay. Yea right.[Wink][/center] [center][/size][/green][/font] [/center] [center] [/center]
[signature]
Because it take skill. Throwing a worm into a hole or dragging a lure through a hole is nothing. Cast, reel, cast, reel. The lure or bait does the work for you. Fish will move quite a ways to get bait, and the flash or a lure, the rattle, or the embedded smell brings them in. You really don't have to know about the fish, the river, the ecosystem, how fish feed, what they eat, what's hatching.

The grace it takes to cast, to lay out the line and get it where you want, the constant mending to make the fly look right. Not just cast and reel. Anyone can cast and reel.

Most people don't make their own lures. Sure they can dig bait, but any dirt pile will yield a worm or catch a grasshopper. But to take a mess or fur and feathers and craft it into something a fish wants takes some skill. Besides (yes I am biased) I think a well tied fly look much better than metal, plastic and rubber.

It's an art, not a sport and with art you have to suffer for it, but the rewards are huge.

That's why I fly fish.

katghoti
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there katghoti - I think that your discription of why you like to fly fish deserves a round of applause. I just knew that my post would get the creative juices flowing and you were up to the challange. Thanks for the follow up.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[reply]
[black][size 3]Right On Guys......Plus FF are the best people in the world...just ask us, we'll tell you[laugh][/size][/black] [/reply]

[#800000]FG....[/#800000]
[#800000][/#800000]
[#800000]This post gave me the best laugh I have had all day... not saying you are wrong.. because you are not... but the way you said sure did give me a good reason to laugh....thank you...!![/#800000]
[#800000][/#800000]
[#800000]MacFly [cool][/#800000]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Being a fly fisherman, I like FF for trout because of the places that they live. Prettiest places anywhere.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]However, there are other things to be said for fisherman. I have never met an elitist bait fisherman. Most are more interested in fishing than the brand name and cost of their equipment.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Just an observation.[/size]
[signature]
I like FF because I can prentend to be a Faux Elitest. [Smile]
[signature]
I like to fly fish because it is diffferent. I can baitfish and catch fish so easily. Flyfishing gives that extra esscence to fishing that is immeasurable by any other fishing means.

Being one with nature in the fresh or on the Salt. Not only matching the hatch but being the hatch in the essence of presentation.

There is alot to learn from underwater photograph which further developes the FF angler into reaching and attaining the goal of the Fly Fishing Angler.

[cool]
[signature]
I just like cracking the whip,,

I do loose more flies that way [laugh]
[signature]