Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kid On The Block
For you glass rod lovers you are familiar with names like Steffen Bros., Lamiglass and McFarland which are some of the most popular rods and blanks on the market today next to the big companies like Shakespear, Fenwick, Eagle Claw....etc.

Well, I buy McFarlands and have really enjoyed them.
I recently realized that I am seriously lacking in the 5wt rod area. Got a lot of 4's and 6's, but when looking at the 5's, I have a 7'9" Far and Fine that is no longer made, but highly sought after, so I have decided to put it in the safe with the Battenkill Boo, which leaves me with ONE...a 10' TFO. Don't get me wrong, I love this rod, but there are places that it is just a little over kill.
I also realize that my 4wt's will work just fine, but again I have Glass and Boo, so casting nymphs or streamers a bit of a challenge.

Well, it appears Mike McFarland also makes graphite rods. He makes his own tapers, reel seat, hardware, and handle.
I really like the G Loomis Streamdance GLX, so he sent me his GTX which he said is real close to the Loomis.
I received it yeaterday, so put it together and shook it a few times. I was thinking I might have made a mistake because I really like slow action.
I loaded it up and went to the end of the driveway (About 90 ft). The wind was blowing west to east so I adjusted, pulled a bunch of line off and straightened it the best I could. Started the casting and let it go....60ft. Hummmmmmmm, tried again........74 ft. WOW! in the wind no less.
I Love this ROD! Mike McFarland 9' 3pc. 5wt. GTX
The rod is a beautiful Green and check out one of his own reel seats!

[inline "McFarland graphite 001.jpg"]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Nice finish on the handle. FGD you are going to have to get a bigger house if you keep buying more rods. When you go out fishing, how many rods do you take along? BTW I don't have a 5wt so just ship it it south when you get bored with it. [Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Will do DryRod. And I take as many rods as I need and then ONE back-up he,he,he.
That is why we bought a TRUCK[Wink]
[signature]