Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Floats at Lindon
My 2 boys asked last evening around 6:00pm to go fishing today. So we threw together an impromtu fishng trip. So at 5 this morning FB2, USMC, and myself headed to Lindon Boat Harbor. We had great expectation of slaying several differnt speices of fish today.

We arrived around 6:30 am and started unloading the gear. Man it took forever to get everyone in the water. FB2 was tryin out a U-Boat and USMC was using an old Bucks Bag. USMC is a new fisherman and floater, FB2 well lets say he's put his time in on the water.

I ended up giving my fins to USMC, leaving me without any. Rowing and fishing are not my favorite way to fish. But I made do.

Well we worked the Harbor for an hour or so. Water temp was a cool 50 when we launched. A light north breeze of between 5/10 mph. So much for the south wind forcast! We threw everything at them ....... them? there was nothing on sonar. Jigs, spinners, bait (all kinds) lures and yes even Rapalas. How desperate were we?

At this point I told the boys I was heading north out of the harbor. I figured I'd head over to my honey hole for carp and pick up some fresh bait. Nope not a chance! 1st time in 3 years I have not seen a crap in there. For that matter nothing on sonar either. So I headed for the transfer station, always good for some kind of action. Fought my way back through the egyptian grass to the canel. Well not quite that far the grass was to thick. But close enough to cast into the current at the outlet. Still nothing so I headed north west up the shoreline. Checked with the boys on the radio and they were doing at least as well as I was. Worked 3 to 6 feet of water all the to the 5th tower and back to the transfer station without so much as a nibble.

Gave the boys a shout asked how they were doing. I got the there aint no fish in this lake responce. I told them I was heading for the bubble up. USMC had downed a Big Glup after being warned that might not be the brightest thing to do. So he's kicking to the harbor as fast as a new float can kick! He really needs to make a deposit and unload that big glup. FB2 and I head for the bubble up. Wouldn't ya know it the wind changes and starts blowing from the south. I fished the reeds to and from the bubble up with so much as a bump. FB2 headed for shore and hauled his craft up the southern outside bank of the harbor. I continued to fish the bubble up for another 40 minutes. Still nothing and nothing on sonar. So I head back letting the gentle winds push me back and just steering with the oars occasionaly. Now that was nice fishing. Started marking fish just before the harbor entrance. But they all had lockjaw and didn't want to play. So I headed in as the boys were waiting. USMC had taken a how shall I put this .......... Oh he fell into the lake trying to get out of his tube!! I wish I could have been there!! Not many people there when we arrived and not many more when we left. Talked to several anglers and no one had caught anything today.

All in all it was still a pretty good trip. I'm looking forward to some warmer weather and a few more outings with the boys.
[signature]
"USMC had downed a Big Glup after being warned that might not be the brightest thing to do. So he's kicking to the harbor as fast as a new float can kick! He really needs to make a deposit and unload that big glup"

The most common mistake that newbies make. [blush]

Nice report. Last year, Lindon turned on about May 1st, as the crappie moved in to spawn and cats moved into the shallow weedy areas. I loved floating it after work. Hopefully, I'll see you there.
[signature]
I had that same conversation with another BFTer last week on Lindon. And said the same thing basicly. The end of April 1st of May it starts getting good at Lindon. But it is protected water for a beginner and a good place to learn a few things.
[signature]
[cool][#0000bf]Sounds like another epic "ROAD" adventure...on the ROAD to Lindon. [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Sorry I missed all the "fun". Not sorry I missed the "fishing". [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]I turned down several "opportunities" to go fishing this past week, with the explanation that even though the wind might die down for a day or so, the fishing will not resume until there is a period of stable weather. [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]The heavy winds of the past week (up to 40 mph on UL) have pushed the fish out of the reeds and the shallows and muddied up the water. Some fish are still able to feed by smell and vibrations picked up through their sensitive lateral lines, but even those fish prefer a bit of visibility. That might be a couple of weeks away...or more.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]It is always fun to get newbies afloat and to see how they come out at the end of the trip. Some of them survive, and enjoy themselves, even after going through all of the prerequisite "trials and tribulations" of newbyism. Others spend only a few minutes afloat and then get out...never to try again. Same with fishing I guess.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Let's stay in touch for a potential shot closer to the end of next week. Right now the weather forecast looks like more of the same and I do not have a lot of optimism about the fishing potential in our lower level ponds. [/#0000bf]
[signature]
I had no expectaion about the fishing TD. Except for the carp. That was the only surprise I had on the trip. As for the new floater he had a great time and is looking forward to his next adventure. His wife on the other hand is not.

I'm with you on the weather thing, UL takes some time to clear and be productive. But it's always nice to get away. A better choice would have been the Berry for yesterday. But fishing the ice edges and newbies would have been more work than pleasure for me.

We can all do our little weather paryer dance for some nicer weather. Maybe I'll contact the tribe and ask for a *ceremonial* weather dance to get things started. BTW has the babe returned yet or are you still bachin it?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Da Babe is back...and anxious to go whack some kitties. At least when I try to back out of a trip with you there are no serious "domestic consequences". No way to win when TubeBabe wants to go fishing. If we don't go, then I am a &%#$$. If we do go and the wind blows...and/or we don't do well...then I am to blame. Just like marriage in general.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I mentioned in one of our "exchanges" last week, my fishing logs show that we had just about this same pattern of windy weather last year at this time. Our epic Lake X hurricane was on 4/9...and we had a couple of "blow outs" on Utah Lake the latter part of April before we finally got some doable fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have settled into my state of fishing Zen...doing a lot of meditating and contemplating my tackle. Also doing a lot of whimpering as a symptom of fishing withdrawal anxiety syndrome...known to the medical profession as FWAS. We both know what the best treatment is.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey if you guys need someone to out fish. I would love to fish Lindon boat harbor with some real "pros". I have only fished it once and have lived in Lindon my whole life. Plus I have my finder and pole holder set up on my tube. (Thanks TD)
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My schedule is pretty full until the end of this week, but I am still open for most of next week. Shoot me a PM with your schedule and when you can go and maybe we can meet up. It should really turn on in the next couple of weeks.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was just informed that Sat is GOING to be a family. So quit tinkering with your fishing stuff unless you are taking us all with you. No fishing for me this week. But Sunday I plan on hitting Lindon and crusing over to the bubble up and working my way back to the transfer station. I'll shoot ya a PM about Tue TD.
[signature]