Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flourocarbon
Has anyone tried the P-Line for lakers? Just wondering if there is a big difference between the P-line premium and the more expensive P-line flourocarbon?
[signature]
Have used flourocarbon in the ocean only. We use it when the water is crystal clear. My husband and I use it all the time, more fish I think.
[signature]
All floroucarbon does is reflect less light, and there's no light at lake trout depths anyway, so it doesn't matter. P-line works fine (I use it), and so does regular old Stren, Trilene XT, or any other quality mono. Line doesn't spook lake trout, imperfect presentations do!

Even down here in Florida, fishermen are now figuring out that we've all been "suckered" by attributes of flourocarbon (and the price!). I've gone back to mono leaders exclusively, even in 2 feet of water on a bright sunny day. Its easier to work with, holds knots better, is more flexible resulting in better presentations, and a heck of a lot less money. And I'm catching more fish than I was with flouro. I have also noticed that thicker mono has better abrasion strength than the same pound-test Flouro., and this observation is with 40-140 pound tarpon swimming around concrete bridge pilings.

For lakers, P-line premium is perfect, and the other monos are fine too.
[signature]
Hey Jim, you ever get down to the Bahamas?

I've used Flurocarbon before, and I've found that it didn't seem to matter. Now I tie a few leaders with it, but like Jim, I've found it doesn't hold knots quite as well as mono. Lately I've been playing with Excalibur Silver Thread, very strong and abrasion resistant. I've also toyed with Damyl Tectan, which I like for its strength and small diameter.
[signature]
Killerbee: I haven't yet fished in the Bahamas. As for Silver Thread, I have some friends that use it and they love it too. All of the top lines now are very good, better than anything we had 20 years ago. And as I mentioned, good ole clear blue Stren will still catch any fish, any time, any where, and do it well.

I think the best new lines are the braids. Those have changed all my fishing drastically, and I don't even have a spinning or baitcasting reel with mono. on it any more, except when its very cold. Flourocarbon is highly overrated (Kinda like smallmouth bass!--sorry, couldn't resist![sly])
[signature]
Well the only way to solve this is two try both. I will check for abrasion resistence and most importantly wether the fish notice. I have been using flourocarbon and believe it works in shallow water not sure if it works in the deeper water.
[signature]
I USED P LINE FOR ICE MACK,S AT THE GORGE 16 POUND DID A SUPER JOB. BUT IM WITH JIM STREN WORKS JUST FINE.
[signature]
We (cousin and I) have run some non-scientific tests between fluorocarbon leader and non-fluorocarbon leader. Now I realize that some days some fisherman just catch more fish than the other, and I also realize that even switching poles, sometimes the luck goes with the POLE, but for me, I will continue to use fluorocarbon leader!

Our non-scientific tests went something like this:
Same boat, same time same lure/presentation, etc. Everything the same except that one pole has 3 feet of fluorocarbon leader, the other does not.
We noticed that every time we did the side by side comparison, the pole with the fluorocarbon leader would get more hits. When the poles were switched, (between the fisherman) the POLE with the fluorocarbon leader continued to get more hits.
Thinking it was pure coincidence, we tried the same test over and over on many different trips. I believe that the fluorocarbon leader does make a difference.

However, that is simply my opinion. I have a buddy that consistently does NOT use fluorocarbon leader and usually outfishes me.

Maybe it is just mental mojo.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Oh, by the way, I agree 100% about the knots. They sometimes just come undone or break regardless of how careful a guy is!

I wish I didn't believe in it and I would stop using it just for that fault alone!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
One thing is for sure, If you "believe" that something helps you catch more fish, it usually will because with that increased confidence you will fish harder, better, and catch more fish. Confidence is more important than any lure, line, or tackle.

Also, realize that it is not humanly possible for two people to have the exact same presentation. Each person will vary something. There's just no way two can be exactly the same unless its two identically-programmed robots or machines making the presentation.

However, If you believe, then by all means keep using it. Besides, that high dollar stuff puts more tax dollars into the fund.[Wink]
[signature]
I WAS GOING TO SAY THE SAME THING ON THE RIGS. NOTHING IS EVER THE SAME. 1 LURE COULD BE TUNED JUST A LITLE BETER. THE RODS MAY NOT BE IDENTICAL LITLE STIFF OR WEEKER AND THERE IS A DIFFERRANCE. BUT LIKE WAS ALSO SAID CONFIDENCE IS THE KEY TO ALL SUCCES.
[signature]
Check out tackletour.com They did a real good compairison between flourocarbons using Trilene XT as a baseline.
[signature]
That's an interesting test they did on Tackletour. Saltwater Sportsman did a similar one last year too. However, I can't understand using the fraile Trilene XL for the baseline. That stuff is very soft, supple, and frankly weak. Its great for casting and performance off the reel, but I'd have used clear blue Stren, or Trilene XT as a baseline. I'd guess both would have out-performed all but the stiffest of Flourocarbons on strength and abrasion tests. Also would have liked to seen a uni-knot instead of palomar.

There aren't many tarpon fishermen down here that tie on their fly, lure, or hook with a palomar! And those that do wave good-bye to the silver king.

Ah, line wars. If you believe any of the liars, every line out there is "stronger, thinner, softer, more abrasion resistent, has the best knot strength, and is invisible"!!! They all say the same thing.

I put insurance companies, oil companies, cell phone companies, the government, and line makers all in the same category: Lying cheats! At least the line makers give us some good products, and they all get better and better each year.
[signature]
"Stretch: Surprisingly, a biproduct of our tensile test was our ability to watch the stretch in each of our line samples before they broke. We stopped short of collecting data on this observation due to a number of questionable variables, but the one thing we can clearly state is, all the fluorocarbon lines we tested have either the same, or in some cases, more stretch than our baseline Trilene XL."

Interesting finding.
[signature]
Address for the actual test:

[url "http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html"]http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html[/url]
[signature]
TarponJim: So, you don't use Palomar on Mono either now, or do you just use the Uni Knot on braided line? Do you double your line for the uni knot? Just interested on your take on the knot you use the most. I always thought that the palomar was the king of the knots.. Obviously, it is inferior in some instances to other knots, like the Uni knot.
I use a uni-knot for everything except dry flies on light tippet. Then, and only then, I use a simple improved clinch. To connect braid to mono, I double the braid and tie them together with uni-to-uni, and pull them together. I double the braid with a bimini twist if using very heavy leader with light braid, like in saltwater. Never had it fail. Never have been a fan of the palomar. It is said that if you tie a lure or hook directly to braid, then the palomar is the one. I always use a leader, so that's a moot point for me.

The uni knot will do anything, and is superior to a blood knot.
[signature]
very interesting, Thanks.
BTW, for anyone interested.. (Obviously, tarponJim already knows how to tie these things up) this guy gives a pretty good video on how to tie a double line uni knot. In it, he claims that a palomar knot will sometimes only be @ 50% line strength on braided line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGL2aD9q-cE
[signature]
[black][size 3]Just my two cents worth.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Several years ago, a friend and I performed tests to determine the best knot for strength.[/size]
[size 3]the tests were as scientific as possible, and the uni-knot was far and away the best. I have posted this information before, but neglected to report that the tests were conducted with mono. Didn't try them on the newer lines.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have a question. With all of this talk about lines, where does Berkley Fireline come into play? I have been really impressed by it, but I must be the only person using the stuff.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I use the Fireline on my jiggin setups 30# with 20#floro leader only problem i have ever had is if you get snagged on the bottom its a real pain in the but to break off! I have also used power pro and have no complaints about it and its a little cheaper then the fireline!!M.H.
[signature]