Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
braided fishing lines
I was just wondering if I should change to one of the new braided lines? Lets hear all the pros and cons. Is it best used for jigging, trolling, downrigger use, spinning reels, bait casting reels? Or should I just stay with a good brand of mono? And which brand of braid does every one like? Thanks, ZugBug
[signature]
My wife and I have had good use of braided line. No twisting or bird nest, really strong too.
[signature]
Check the archives and there are a few very good posts on the subject. Power Pro is the only way to go.[Wink]
[signature]
I use it for just about everything now. The only place I think I wouldn't want it would be spin fishing on small streams, where you're already using 4-6 lb. mono. anyway. And I'm talking about real "big boy" fishing here, not panfish and power-bait/worm fishing. Artificials and/or baits that need to be presented for quality sport fish that require casts, presentations, some touch, and might pull back. That other stuff is ok if that's what you like, but you don't need a high-dollar spool of braid to do it.

First, it increases your casting distance on spinning reels by double. It's very thin, so you can use smaller, lighter reels and still have lots of line capacity. You can feel what your lure or bait is doing much better. It lasts for 50-100 trips instead of 7 or 8 like mono. Less line drag in the water when trolling. Diving lures will run deeper when trolling. When you get snagged and need to break off a hook or lure, you only lose your leader instead of a bunch of line off the reel, which minimizes line left in the water. You don't lose your main line, so you never have to re-spool. Reel stays full. Jigging, you know where your jig is and what it's doing. You can feel the bottom, and work your lure through structure by "feel." Bites are sometimes more obvious. Finally, no line twist. Yes, it does twist, but you won't notice it. I never have to let my line out to untwist it like with mono.

Negatives: Whatever you do with the rod goes directly to your lure and hook. You usually need a lighter rod than with mono. When hooked-up to a fish, you need to make appropriate moves with the rod to help off-set the fish's movements. You can over-set the hook and rip fish's lips off and pull hooks. It's a direct connection to the fish with very little shock absorption. If you don't keep tension on the line, it will not wrap on the spool properly and you'll get loops and knots on your next cast. You have to be careful when retrieving very light lures. You can't cut it with your teeth or fingernail clippers. You need sharp scissors or a small knife.

And finally, Please, Please, close the bail on a spinning reel with your hand, NOT just by turning the handle. That way, the line will lay straight on the spool, and there won't be a dreaded loop in the line when you start your retrieve. Watch any professional or experienced fisherman, and you will see him close the bail by hand every time. You also control your casting accuracy with the same hand during the cast.

It has its quirks, but positives outweigh negatives in most cases, if you pay attention.

Be sure to put a small amount of mono backing on your reel so the slippery braid doesn't spin on the spool. Be sure to keep the line tight when filling your reel. Wind it on tight! Use a glove to keep tension on the line with your fingers.

Power Pro, Stren, and Sufix are my brands of choice. Power Pro is least expensive, Sufix is most expensive and the best.

I always use a mono leader appropriate for the bait/lure I'm using. Use a uni-knot to connect the braid to mono. Tie a uni from the braid around the mono, then tie a uni with the mono over the braid, and pull the two tight. Presto. Blood knots WILL slip. If using heavier mono, say over 15 lb. test, double the braid before tying the knots.

If you're just fishing bait on the bottom, or fishing where line capacity, sensitivity, and/or casting distance are not a factor, it might not be worth the extra cost up-front. Mono. still works! Braid just lets you do things you can't do with mono (smaller, stronger, more distance, more sensitive.)

I used to change out my lines once a week (fishing every day). Now, I change the braid once a season, or maybe twice if it gets a ton of abuse. And when you wear it out, you can simply reverse it on the spool, and the line that was deep on the spool is like new because it has no memory. Two for the price of one, just like a double taper fly line!

Just say "yes" to braid. Try it, you'll like it. I've converted.
[signature]
Tarponjim, Thanks for the heads-up on braided lines. ZugBug
[signature]
Good idea changing the line back to front. Good line but its not cheap. When we use it in the ocean we use spectra and super glue about two feet into the spectra never slipped or broke yet. the fish we usually catch are 200 lb yellowfin and big yellowtail.
[signature]
I've heard of a few guys down here that also use the superglue. I've not needed it so far, but for bigger fish like you described, and the tarpon I fish for, I do make a Bimini Twist in the braided line for my double-line, then attach the leader. I don't need the bimini at the Gorge though, although sometimes I tie one just because I can and it does look sexy![Wink]

And superglue. Is that not the greatest invention since paper towels, ziplocs, and velcro? I use it for cuts on my hands and repairs of all kinds to lures and equipment. Better than duct tape.

When you say "two feet into the spectra," do you mean you cover that much of the spectra above the knot with the glue? Are you using a double line and/or bimini? I've only heard of guys gluing the connection knot itself, and sometimes the wraps of the bimini.
[signature]
No the spectra is hollow and we feed it into the spectra line. The only reason we conect them like this is less friction for the bait, and they swim longer and live longer. Do you know how the fishing is at the Green River ?
[signature]
Ok, now I get it. You're talking about hollow spectra. That definitely sounds like a clean connection. The braids I'm fishing with are woven or spun spectra like Power Pro and Sufix.

As for the Green, I haven't heard any reports since I'm still in the Keys. Having guided down there for many years though, I can tell you there isn't a bad time to hit it all spring. Your best dry fly fishing is on the cloudy afternoons. Nymphs catch fish all day, all year. If you're spinning, fish dark plastic tube or marabou jigs, and small crank baits.

A good source of reliable information is Trout Creek Flies in Dutch John. They're on the river every day. 435-885-3355. They have a website as well. Google it.
[signature]
Thanks We will have to go fishing when you get back to Utah.
[signature]
Power Pro is the way to go.[cool]
[signature]
Suffix is the shizznickle..

It so much better to fish with when your jigging or trolling or bumping the bottom or drop shotting you can feel everything.
I still like my mono on my rivers and streams and if I am fishing top water lures. JUsT my 2 cents.
[signature]