Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua
Hello everyone, just seeing if there is anyone out there that can share some information about Mantua. I was thinking of heading up there this weekend and was wondering what some of you have found to be the best techniques to use. Is it best to fly or spin right now? What are they biting on? How deep are you fishing at?...these are just some of the basic questions.

I just want to get the basics from those that know Mantua like the back of their hand, but I don't ask for all of your secrets, that way I can find things out on my own and discover somethings for myself. I did recently purchase a 'toon boat, so I am not limited to the dry land. Thanks to all of you who reply.

Barbless
[signature]
You see if you want the real gems in mantua you have to put down your flys, and spinners and pick up some bass lures. I can give you a ton of info dude, but I dont think its the info you are looking for. Theres a lot better trout fisheries than mantua so the real attraction has to be the largemouth for me. But heres a couple pointers for your trouting adventures at manuta. Ealy season is going to be the best time for spinners. Why? cause the weeds havent reached the top yet! Pulling a spinner in mid summer will just catch you lots and lots of weeds. There are a few open flat areas covered in rock where the weeds dont grow up all year, if you get into one of those, you can get trout or bass deep along the bottom of the rocks. Expect it to be a freaking zoo up there this year as the DWR put the kamloops in there last fall.
[signature]
I talked to my neighbor yesterday and they did very good last night. They fished in the northeast bay and fished with jakes and blue fox spinners. they caught several rainbows over 16 and a lot of largemouths. The biggest was about 2 pounds. They fished in float tubes in 4 feet of water.

good luck
[signature]
I've talked to a few of the guys that fish Mantua a lot and one of the consistent producers are Jakes lures for trout, I can't remember the color but silver and gold with red dots always works for me and white with red dots is another good color. Like predator said after the weeds start growing forget about trolling mantua. What's a 'toon boat? WH2
[signature]
Alright call me dumb [Tongue]

What is a Kamloop[unsure]?
[signature]
A kamloops is a type of rainbow trout. they get very big. Maybee Dennis W will post up a pic or two of the monsters he has caught.
[signature]
I would love to see one. What are the major differences between the 2?
[signature]
Kamloops are simply a strain of rainbow that evolved in a lake in British Columbia (I think it's named Kamloops). They are more piscivorous (fish-eatin') than most strains--so they can potentially grow bigger. I think most of the rainbows in the state are from the Eagle Lake strain. The big 'bows they caught in the Gorge back in the 60s and 70s were Kamloops. The DWR might try them at the Gorge again.
[signature]