Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BFT Get Together in SC!
[size 1]This is smokin' hot guys and gals. Myself along with Mattscru (Georgia Moderator) are Hosting an official Bigfishtackle.com get together at Myrtle Beach State Park in Myrtle Beach , SC! The dates are not set in stone, but we're thinking around the Early to mid July time frame! BFT has never had an East coast event before, so this will be alot of fun!

The idea is to get campsites booked in relative locations at the park and enjoy a weekend of fishing, camping, and fun. You don't have to camp to participate, and any BFT member that is with in range is encouraged to come along for the fun, even if you just drop by for the day and fish with us, or come by that afternoon and have a cool one. This is a "family Friendly" type of event, and it'll be alot of fun. If you have a boat, bring it. If you are interested in a boat rental, that is availible in Murrells Inlet at your disposal. I'll take as many on my boat as I can. If boat fishing isn't the best idea or the "general consenses," no worries. The park has a great fishing pier and we can all take it over for the day. [Wink]

Please respond if you're interested in going. Once Matt and I have a decent idea of how many want to go, we can set a solid date and make reservations in advance. Camp sites are cheap, right around 20 bucks a night. Showers, laundry matt, the whole nine yards is all included.

This is a great time to plan something to get the family out of the house, meet a few of your fellow BFT'ers, and enjoy some great fishing and company! Remember, all those interested in comming along, just respond to this thread and include this info:

1. Would you rather fish from a boat or from the pier?
2. Will you be camping or just comming for the day or afternoon?
3. Would you like us to reserve your campsite for you?

Please ask any other questions you have, and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. We look foward to your replies! [cool] [/size]
[signature]
Hey now, that sounds like a great time for ALL. Look forward to meeting you and hope you caught some fish if you came down this past weekend. Did not fish but heard lots of small flounder were caught and a lots of blues. Doc
[signature]
Hey DR, thanks for the reply. No, I didn't get to make it over that way this weekend. The weather was questionable and I figured i'd save the gas until this comming weekend. After an entire week of high 70's weather, I figure the weather will be looking good for a trip to the reef. I also heard the same report, blues are thick and a few flounder here and there.

Asside from this weekend trip, i'm planning a pier trip sometime in May. You should tag along if you don't have a charter booked. I'm going to set up a couple guys with a King Mackerel rig and pass on some tips for fishing on the pier. You knowledge and company would be very much welcome. I'll let you know more when I find out. Thanks again DR!

[cool]
[signature]
Sounds like a great time! Will be glad to help anyone that needs an old mans advise about the area. Just give me a call before you come down and will look forward to meeting you and the bunch. Shannon 843 450 1430[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks Shannon, sounds great! Your company would be greatly appreciated! I'll make sure and give you a call!

Also, normally, I would edit out your phone number, but since you're a charter captain, i'm sure you don't mind getting a few calls. [cool]

Thanks again DR
[signature]
No problem about the phone number. I am here to help anyone that wants help. Thanks Bryan Shannon
[signature]
Cant wait to see you there doc. Ive got several georgia boys headed that way, Im trying to get as many as possible. I dont get to do much saltwater fishing so july needs to hurry up and roll around!
Matt
[signature]
Matt, look forward to meeting you and all the others that are coming to the BEACH-BUST ! Hope everyone has a great time and catch plenty of fish. The fishing should be GOOD by then. Bryan is here fishing today,don't know how he did but I think he found some Spanish. Give me a call when you head down and we will all meet for a cool-one or two! By the way Bryan, I joined up for advertisement for South Carolina Charters and Guides. This is a GOOD forum and glad to be part of it!
Doc[Wink]
[signature]
David, don't do much fly fishing but I see some trying! You might have booked that trip with ONE OF OUR BEST HERE . There is one capt. that thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread! But never catches much. Fly fishing is not a big thing in Murrells Inlet. You might try Georgetown/Bay?
Barrier Island Charters,If I knew the # would give it to you. If you will call me when you get in the area I will try to hook you up with someone.I have his card somewere. Good Luck [cool] Capt. Shannon www.Catch-1familyfun.com
[signature]
Hey there David, and good on ya for finding the BFT message boards. You should take a moment and register with the site. It's completely free and there are some great benefits!

As for your question, you should stroll down to the SC message board a little further down and post your question there. Nothing says local info like the state message boards.

However, I also fish out of murrells inlet and haven't noticed too many fly anglers in the area. Like DR mentioned, Georgetown is a good place for that type of angling. Bays are better equiped, if you will, for the fly fisherman/woman. I'm going to add fly fishing to my list of techniques this year, once the season gets on the move. I figure predators like spanish mackerel and footballs would be super fun on a fly casting outfit. I know alot of guys try sight casting for drum, but I haven't seen much of that in murrells inlet. I think most of that is done in charleston and Georgetown as well. DR is a local guide, and I would trust his opinion all the way.

What about "chunking" for spadefish or similar species with a fly rod? In other words, chum the fish up and toss an offering of natural bait to them with just a hook. That would be very effective.

With your fly angling experiance, we'd definately love to have your inputs and experiance on the SC message boards, as well as the fly fishing boards. You might very well find a local fly swatter by posting on the local board that would like to wet a line with you. Once I get my fly fishing equipment squared away, i'd be happy to take you out on my boat in exchange for a few pointers. [Wink]

I'm going to start out targeting bass, bream, and other local river species; until I hone my skills enough to cut loose in the ocean. Thanks again for your question partner, and I look foward to seeing more from you in the future. [cool]
[signature]
Cool man...I have a few xtra flyrods. I checked out the SC forum. Hopefully i will get some Bites....Great site..Lots of info here. If anyone is heading to wyoming for fishing .......hit me up...I lived in Jackson for 6 years and have alot of info !! Sorry didnt mean to hijack this thread LOL
[signature]
Welcome aboard SC_flyguy. It's good to see that there are more fly swatting anglers out there.

What type of Flyfishing do you do??? Do you lint chuck or do you do the shrimp flip?? I actually do both fresh and saltwater. Only thing is that I am near the other SC as in USC.

Wyoming sounds good to me. I haven't been there for several years myself.[cool]
[signature]
Ive done plenty of flyfishing for trout. Im now more into the warm/Saltwater flyfishing. It was just to hard adjusting from the trout fishing in wyoming/Idaho. SC trout fishing isnt bad but I want something measured in pounds....not inches
[signature]
You got that right!!! I like to tip the scales. [cool] Us SC anglers think alike. [Wink]
[signature]