Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Report 4/19/2007 Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan
Fish Report 4/19/2007 Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan 
By Capt. Jim Hirt
April fishing is very good. Most of our charter trips are catching limits on Browns and Chinooks. Clear skies with the wind out of the northeast at 5-10 mph have been the norm. The water flowing into Milwaukee harbor is 52 degrees. We have been fishing the temp breaks in front of the river mouth and harbor gaps marking fish at all depths. Lots of bait fish around. Our best presentations are Yellow Bird planer boards with 25 foot leads behind the boards and downriggers 20 to 25 feet down. The way I set up a planer board is with 20 lb. mono to a 1/4-ounce bead chain sinker. Use 8 feet of 18 lb. Seaguar Fluoro Premier fluorocarbon leader from the sinker to a size #1 Cross Lock snap and lure. The fish have not been too particular. Most 3-4 inch spoons and J-Plugs are taking fish. Some of our best producers have been Vulcan Silver Sky, Nestor Wobblers Sun Burn Glow sold at Badgertackle.com ]Michigan Stinger Jawbreaker and most of their silver orange spoons. Depending on wind direction the north and south gaps are producing fish. Our bigger Chinooks have been caught at the north gap. The fish at the north gap came on small spoons. Silver blue spoons worked best for us running 60 feet behind the ball on downriggers 8-15 feet down. Our best boat speed was 2.4 mph. Slide Divers are producing very well set to #1 with 20 feet of line out. Have a great fishing season. Let's go fishing!! Copyright© 2006, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved
[signature]
hey, great report! any pics of those fish? i just got a couple of yellow birds to try this year. ive caught a few on them, but i'm still figuring out how to best use them. i think they'll be a fun way to increase the amount of water i can cover! if i like it i may eventually get a couple dual boards and install a mast for them. but, that won't be this year!

again, thanks for the report... and keep them coming! i'm headed out for some bows in the morning. i'll post up tomorrow night or sunday!

take care, bkidder
[signature]
Way to go on your new assignment. Keep up the good work bro.[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks a lot man! I'm looking forward to it. We always get great trout questions and reports on the freshwater board, now we have a place to consolidate them. It should be fun to try and get more salmon reports going too. Hopefully we'll get some of you californians to chase a few landlocked salmon soon! As for me, I'm a kokanee guy so I look forward to giving and reading reports! It should be fun!

Talk to ya later, bkidder
[signature]
Great news.. Just what I wanted to hear.. We are taking the wives on their firts salmon charter Sunday leaving out of Kenosha.. Can't wait..

I think I just giggled like a little girl..
[signature]
That sounds awesome! Make sure to get some pics to share here. You could be the first to share some salmon pics on the new board! I look forward to your report!

Good luck!
[signature]
I don't think we have any landlocked here. All the Salmon ground have fish ladders and the little guys are anadromous and come back after putting on some serious weight.[cool]
[signature]
No Kokes anywhere in Cali? That's suprising. [cool]
[signature]