Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't forget ol' faithful
You know, one lure i've always considered to be about the most universal of all, regardless of the conditions, is the ol' cedar plug. I don't know many species of fish that won't eat a cedar plug. King Mackerel, Tuna, Aj's; just about anything that can be targeted trolling.

I usually add atleast one cedar plug into my spread, regardless if i'm trolling live bait or artificials. I prefer to put it on a long line away from the wash, about 80 to 100 yards back. All my cedar plugs are rigged with a mono leader, as a steel leader isn't neccesary in most cases since the hook is intergrated into the rear of the lure. This keeps the business end of the fish away from the leader and even toothy critters rarely cut you off. Steel leader also takes away from the irratic action of the plug and the effectiveness goes down considerably.

Most anglers that get cut off are dragging a heavy cedar plug spread for tuna, and run into Wahoo. If I know i've found Wahoo, my tactics change anyhow, and the cedar plugs come in, and the Black and Purple Yo Zuri Bonitos and Braid Flash Dancers goes out on 7 strand leader.

I've found the natural color works best for me, however, there are many colors availible, including buck-tail cedar plugs with multi color heads and bodies. They work best on a flat line or an outrigger, trolled at a moderate speed.

So, next time you're brousing around your favorite tackle store, pick up a couple cedar plugs to add to you arsonal. They are cheap, and I promise you won't be disappointed. [cool]
[signature]
Caught many a fish trolling cedar plugs when nothing else would work. Have had people laugh, then watch them not get a trolled fish all day on all the other lures. All fish included.
[signature]
I have some of the Mega Baits that I troll near the Channel Islands.

Rapala Magnums work well too. We get some kewl Bonitas out here. They are smaller cousins to the Skippies.[cool]
[signature]
Bonitas are lots of fun to catch. We caught them alot in the S. Pacific. Football's rule [Tongue]
[signature]