Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bait?
taking my son 4yo to fish local park in georgia live bait scarce several types of fish in park lake what kind of bait can i use for him to catch a brim or perch? thanks
[signature]
Crickets are night crawlers are your best bet but if thats not avaliable try some bread. Bluegills really eat about anything you can throw at them so even little pieces of hotdogs are sandwich meats are good. What part of georgia are you in? Its good to see new members and feel free to post in the georgia board[Wink]
[signature]
Bread bits are good. Hawaiin sweet bread works well also. You can also use small pieces of hot dog or bologna on small hooks under a bobber.

Berkley Gulp has a lot of different formulas that work well too. They are in sealable envelopes and preserve well after opening.
First and foremost, i'd like to welcome you to bigfishtackle.com! Now, as for your question.......

If you can't find live bait anywhere, it's easy to dig up a few worms around a shade tree. Just look for ground that seems to stay saturated with moisture and always remains in the shade. This is prime worm territory and you shouldn't have any problems finding them. If you still can't find worms, no worries. The stuff that Mattscru and TubeN2 metioned also work, but i've found that bacon fat or plain old fatback work the best. They seem to like the salty/oily taste. Also, beetle spins are great lures for panfish, and usually work quite well once the water warms up a bit and the fish regain some of thier aggressiveness.

If you happen to get out somewhere that sells waxworms, get a couple of tubs. They will live for days and days on end if kept in the fridge. The best thing you can do is plan ahead. Also, crickets are easy to keep alive too. Just toss them a potatoe slab and give them a little water, they'll live for quite some time too.

Bream also like those tiny little poppers. Cast them out along the shore and just twitch them. Bream will eat them up, especially early in the morning and late in the afternoon. If you are having trouble casting them out due to thier light weight, no problem. About 4' ahead of the popper, add a bobber. The bobber will add enough weight so you can cast the popper, and it will float as well so it won't interfier with your presentation. [cool]

Good luck! Make sure and let us know how you do.
[signature]
Crickets are by far the best bait for bluegill in my opinion [url "http://www.ghann.com/"]http://www.ghann.com/[/url] $11.49 for 500 full size crickets shipped to your door. Like tarpon said all you have to do is slice up some potatos and throw in their and they live forever! I've used these guys in the past and they sell all types of worms too. $6.99 for a thousand mealworms, you cant beat em!
[signature]
Just funnin' with ya! You already got the best advice you can from the two BFT boys above. I can't offer you any better. However, I can thank you strongly for taking that youngster fishing. You can never start 'em too young! You'll never have a better fishin' buddy! He'll never forget who took him fishing first!

Good Luck & be sure and post some pics of the son with his first fish!!! I know everyone here would appreciate seeing them.
[signature]