Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home made dough baits
I'd like to hear some of your recipes for dough baits for cats and carp. I make a sweet dough bait with corn meal, flour, soda (coke, pop) and everything sweet I can find in the kitchen like sugar, brown sugar a hint of vanilla. And Ive caught carp up to 30 pounds and channels up to about 15 pounds off it. I think it would be interesting to hear what some of you other guys use/make when targeting these fish. Once it starts to get hot I love night fishing for cats and carp! Good beer drinking fishing [Wink]
[signature]
Well its not homemade but my husband uses shrimp. Works great every time.
[signature]
[size 1] [/size] [ul] [li](1) Can Green Giant Whole Sweet Kernel Corn [li](3) Tablespoons Butter Are Imperial (I SUGGEST YOU USE IMPERIAL) [li](1/8) Cup Sugar [li](40) Miniature Marshmallows [li](1) Large Mixing Bowl [li](1) Sauce Pan[/li][/ul]

Method:
1st step is to melt the BUTTER are IMPERIAL in saucepan when BUTTER are IMPERIAL is melted pour the marshmallows into the cooking butter and then stir until marshmallows are saucy.

2nd step is to pour the "Can of corn into the mixing bowl".

3rd step is to put the marshmallow sauce on top of the corn and spread the sauce onto the corn BE CAUTIOUS NOT TO BREAK THE CORN KERNELS.

4th step is to sprinkle the sugar on top of the marshmallow topped corn NOW FILL THE #6 SIZE HOOK WITH CORN AND CAST OUT AND GET READY TO CATCH MONSTER CARP (THIS IS A TOP WATER BAIT AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE CARP ON THE SURFACE OF THE WATER)
[signature]
We have a few on a thread from the Recipe board. Please be sure to add some that you may have to share.[cool]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Fish_and_Game_Recipes_C65/Fish_recipes_F116/Bait_Recipes_P101031/"]Bait Recipes[/url]
[signature]
Nice one tube. When Im bass fishing on my "special" hidden creek early the carp are all over the topwater. Im talking 30-40 pounders, they sound like cannon balls being lobed in the water. I think Im going to try this one for sure! Thanks
[signature]
For some reason the Carp like Pink or Yellow. I have other recipes as well. Many of them use Maple syrup in the dough, Red Kool aid (the sugary one) and some even have powdered sugar.

One of my local baits that I use without having to mix anything is with the Kings Hawaiin bread. I just roll/compact it into little dough balls. It tends to stay on the hook better than just plain bread.

[cool]
[signature]
I've got two recipes around here someplace .. I'll look for 'em..
[signature]
Carp prefer corn,,,believe it or not that is about the best thing that you can use on a rig,,
The old standby of course is corn flakes and Big Red,,,,just grab a fist full of corn flakes wet them down with BIG RED, and squeeze the heck out of the flakes until it forms a ball,,,Then thread that on the Hair rig, and you're good to go !![sly]I have a rather detailed recipe, and places where you can get BOILIES, an english, "CARP SPECIFIC" bait.....
PM me, and I'll get that information to you !
[signature]
Im sure we'd all like to hear more about the boilies. I cooked up a batch once and got skunked, but when I lived in texas bigred and cornflakes were a staple in everyones dough bait. I had forgot about the bigred. Its good to have someone like you on the boards with what seems to ba alot of knowlegde about carp fishing.

Matt
[signature]
good to be here,,,,Carp Fishing is a passion, and I'll share what I can with anyone that wants to know...... and while you fish for Carp there's always the chance of a BUFF
[signature]
Goodnight doc, thats a monster buffalo. Is that a smallmouth or largemouth?
[signature]
Smallmouth,,,,I'm trying to get something going with the Arkansas Game & Fish people for a fish in at Lake hamilton on June23re,,,,
they have large carp and buffs as well,,,,stay tuned ![cool]
[signature]
That's the biggest carp I've ever seen. I use the 'common' carp for catfish bait. I've always snagged them with a bare hook but have always wanted to actually catch one with bait. What is big red? Here in Utah corn is illegal for bait, I imagine using it in any form is illegal such as mixed in a doughbait. Cornflower and cornflakes are legal I would imagine, how do you make a dough ball from scratch?
[signature]
Read the first post in this thread, that will get you in the right direction. Big red is a red soda only sold in some states, but when I was in texas people swore by big red in their carp baits. I have found that coke will work too instead of water as a mixer. You might be able to find like a walmart version of red soda. I don't know why corn is illegal in utah, maybe you could strain some cream corn in your mix? They have some funny laws like the 1 pole law. Is that still in effect? Some lakes you could use 2 some only one and I remember you could buy a second pole permit. Utah has to have some of the strictest fish and game laws I've ever seen. I'm sure someone has a recipe for dough bait with exact amounts. I always just do it on the fly until I have it how I want it. Good luck finding a good recipe and if you need any help you know you can PM me anytime. Actually I got another Picture for your collection I'm going to shoot your way.

Matt
[signature]