Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what about the gar?
Ive caught a few fishing with top water plugs but Ive seen people using about a 12 inch piece of frayed rope attached to a swivel. I was told to fish it kinda like a soft plastic jerk bait and the fish's teeth will get tangled in the rope so you dont need a hook. I'd like to hear what people use to catch them with. About 5 years ago I snaged a 4 foot spotted gar and that was one of the hardest fighting fish I've ever had on. Very aerobatic as well so a fun fish to catch but very underated! I'd really like to hear some feedback on this one!
Matt
[signature]
Gar are a great species to target, and are equally as difficult to get on the hook alot of times. I don't know how many times i've missed a hook set when a gar grabs one of my baits. The reason is because of thier narrow mouth, there isn't much to sink a hook into. I've heard of using a piece of rope before, but it would really suck getting it out of thier mouth to let them go; not to mention unsafe. LOL Those teeth are sharp and don't play. [Tongue]

Our local rivers are loaded with gar, and the rig I use is pretty basic. Gar don't like alot of current, and are usually found along the dead current areas of the rivers like along the bends in a bank, in creek mouths, or in small lakes off the river formed by run off. I've always said when the gar are frequently seen hovering on the surface, it's time to start fishing the rivers. LOL, the gar aren't on top yet, and i've been skunked the last two trips, so there really is something to it. [Smile]

The rig I usually use is pretty basic. I use a bobber rig with a 18" steel leader and a #4 trebble hook. Trebble hooks give you an extra 2 chances of getting the hook set in thier mouth, versus a single hook which is very hard to get done. I use nothing but fresh cut bait and don't waste my time with lures. You'll get them on lures, but fresh cut bait on a bobber is way more effective around here.

The biggest mistake people make is setting the hook too soon. When you see the bobber scooting accross the water, give it a few seconds to get the bait in his mouth. Once he's chewing on it, then set the hook. They have a boney mouth, so it takes a firm snatch to lodge the hook in thier mouth effectively.

Of course, once you get them in the boat, make sure you have a good grip and use pliers to remove the hook. (unless you know a good doctor) [Tongue]
[signature]
Never caught one with a rod and reel but I've stuck a few with a bow.

What was once one of the best bass fishing lakes in the state (state record lake - Lake Ripley) is/was littered with 'em. I lived on the lake for a few years after I got out of college in a summer cottage I bought and revamped into a year-round home. The DNR had a shocking boat that would slink past my pier about once or twice a month @ 10:30-11pm. One night I finally went out to the pier and talked to the guy. He mentioned they could use a little "attention".. soooo.. being the conservation minded individual I am I rigged my bow with a reel, grabbed my headlamp and ventured out in the duck boat with my push pole and trolling motor. They were everywhere on a few shallow weed beds right next to my place.

...the garden grew tall those years [Wink]
[signature]
Cool story dude. It's nice to see some anglers getting pro-active in the conservation effort. [Wink] Doesn't hurt to get a little extra practice in with the bow either.

You know, some anglers don't realize that when certain species of fish over populate a specific body of water, it can reep a majorly negative effect on that areas ecosystem. It's so important that we have healthy numbers of all species of fish, and sometimes certain types of fish have to take one for the team to make this happen. But, they don't go wasted.

Next time I have a cold one, i'll tip a sip into the water for the fish that bit the dust for the greater good. [cool]

If the gar become too thick in numbers, the crappie and catfish pop's might go down. That would be a shame, those guys are some good eattin' [Tongue]
[signature]
I know when I was in texas people would go out at night with spotlights and target alligator gar with the old bow. Ive never done it but I've heard its quite the fight. I saw a big gar at Lake Belton that had to have been 10 foot long. Those big gator gar would be a fun fish to go out a target. I havent seen any here in middle georgia, just spotted and maybe some needle nose. I think I might try the cutbait trick tarpon was talking about because we have alot of mudfish (bowfin) as well and I'm sure it would make for a fun trip full of big fish. Big cats in the same hole Im going to try it on so I'll show yall pics!

Matt
[signature]
I can only add one story to this post.The one and only alligater gar I've got was in a brackish pond in Florida. Just got back from a charter boat trip for snapper and was locked out of the house. went to the nearest pond/canal and threw a treble with left over shrimp on my surf casting rod. As I was casting a spinnerbait for bass the rod on shore bent over and there was the gar. Pulled it on shore and tried to decide what to do at this point being a yankee.[crazy] Cut the line by his jaw and kicked him back in to fight another day.[Smile]
[signature]
LOL [laugh] That is so funny because I did the same thing when I caught my first gar, "what the hell do I do with it now that i've caught it?" I had no pliers, no gloves, nothing. [Tongue]
[signature]
I have to say the same also ..

they were scattered on the floor of my john boat before I came up with the garden solution.. getting the first one off the arrow was a real treat I tell ya.. took me a few seconds at first but I managed to master "the boot" technique in no time. [Tongue]
[signature]
That's why they invented the Starboard Shuffle.[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]