Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vexilar
Anyone use their Vexilar FL-8,18-20 with the ice ducer on the float tube? If so how does it work?
[signature]
I have a hard enough time remembering a PIN number let alone trying to figure out one of those. I do hear they are very accurate.
[signature]
No help dude!

I got a Cuda 168. Works real good for me although it keeps telling me there's fish when my empty hooks keep telling me otherwise.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My first sonar on a float tube, MANY years ago, was an old Humminbird flasher. It was either that or a paper graph. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Today we have a wide assortment of LCD displays, with speed, temp, GPS and all kinds of other bells and whistles. Most of it is not needed by tubers or tooners.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What we do need is a good read on bottom contour and composition, and temperature. Oh yeah, it helps to be able to see some fish too. Most guys prefer the LCD for the scrolling record of what the unit has seen, rather than just momentary flashing lights of a flasher...like the Vex. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Vexilars are among the better units on the market for iced fishing, where you are fishing straight down, in the same spot, and any changes on the display are the result of fish moving in and out. Unless you fish only straight down in one place, from your float tube, the flasher does not give as much useable information...and only gives it for a split second.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]If I am not mistaken, the flasher cone angle is also narrower than most of the LCD sonars. When fishing in shallow water, it is good to have a wider cone angle to avoid missing fish that swim under you but slightly off to one side.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The short answer...Vexilars work fine, but not as well as LCD.[/#0000ff]
[signature]