Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction!
Many of you know me from some of our more seasoned boards, but for those of you that don't my name is Bryan D. and I am the proud moderator of this new addition to the message boards. I will be periodically adding info and tips, and hope to see lots of great posts from you guys and gals in the future.

Anyone that ever has any questions or concerns, and don't wish to post them on the boards, feel free to send me a private message and i'll make sure and get back with you ASAP.

Thanks alot and good fishing...........[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the welcome Bryan. Im not much of a saltwater fisherman so hopefully we will have enough post on here so I can pick up a thing or two. Matt
[signature]
Hey Bryan. I'm Jamie I'm new the site. Anyway I have been fishing the salt for the last couple years. mostly the Nj.Ny areas. I fish light tackle for Striper, and Fat Alberts. This time of year ther are a lot of Stripers around heading up the rivers to spawn. While they are in the bay it's almost impossible to get them to hit the artificials. Same thing happens in the Fall but you can have 100 fish days. All on artificials. What makes them stand offish in spring?
[signature]
Hi there Jamie, and welcome to the boards! That's a good question and I hope I can take a good stab at it.

This is my opinion on the matter. During the winter, the fish's metabolism slows down drastically, and the strike zone of the fish is shrunk to almost nonexistant. This is no secret and has been known for many years. With this in mind, the fish would prove to be much more pickey and exact in thier food selections in the spring.

Come fall, the water is warm, the bait is plentifal, and the fish are snapping at just about anything. Hints they are in full swing and aggressively feeding. The more aggresive fish feed, the less picky they are.

The time of year is a serious consideration through out the season. The good thing is you've already found the trend and know how to target the fish during different times of the year. [cool]
[signature]
The funny thing is they are feeding aggressively on bunker or menhaden which ever term you like. You can trow a snag rig into the bait and let it swim and get crushed. But try jigging a storm or an assassin and you will be working that bait hard with little or no reward.
[signature]
Anadromous Stripers are very picky when it comes to that time of year. They do not easily fool by just any old plastic. I too use the Storms.

There are times when I couldn't buy a bite. But they will gladly hit on a frozen Anchovy.

It appears that Scent plays a factor in their aggressiveness during spawning season. It's all about hormones, and scents.

That is when I will bust out the ProCure injector system. Just a few drops of Anchovy in the Storm lure or even on the Fish Traps, Big Hammers or Blamms. The Stripers will do a better job on getting friendly with your bait.[cool]
[signature]
THANKS FOR THE TIP. I'll try it this weekend.
[signature]