Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Trout and Salmon Rigs/Lures/Baits
Since this is a trout and salmon board, and we have access to fisherman all over the country... lets list our favorite rigs and see if we can gain a few "new" things to try out! I know a lot of the rigs we take for granted, people in other parts of the country know little about... and vice versa. So, in the interest of collaboration... heres a few of my favorites.

#1 Assasin spinners from Rocky Mountain Tackle. The use of radical glow beads means that these spinners will hold a glow charge longer than any other glow products out there. I also like the dakota blades they use, and they come in tons of colors. My favorite way to rig these is behind a 4 inch dodger that is similar in color to the beads on the spinner. I also tip them with a peice of nightcrawler and/or use pro cure scents on them. I usually trail them anywhere from 16-24 inches behind the dodger. These spinners are great for trout, and my "go to" for early season kokanee salmon.

#2 Rapala, Lucky Craft, or Flat Fish lures. These minnow immitators are great for browns, cutthroat, mackinaw, and even rainbows. I usually run these without any attractors out in front of them, but at times trailing them 30 or so inches behind a dodger, or a set of lake trolls, can work better.

#3 Hoochie squids, trolling flies, trolling bugs. I use hoochie squids a lot for kokanee salmon, and trout. They do require a dodger in front of them to impart action to the bait. RMT's UV and glow hoochies are great. They come in a 1.5 inch size that is great for salmon and trout. For bigger trout and salmon I will use bigger hoochies and even tube jigs... again, trailed behind dodgers. Trolling flies and bugs can be great too. Because these baits don't have their own action I trail them much closer to the dodger. Sometimes I keep them as close as 8 inches behind the dodger. To give them scent I will use pro cure, night crawlers, or a chunk of minnow. (depending on the species I'm after)

#4 Apex style lures. My favorite Apexes are on the small side, and I use them a lot more for kokanee salmon than I do for trout. I usually start out running these alone, but add a dodger if they aren't getting the job done. Also, scents work well on Apexes, and all lures in my opinion.

#5 Spoons. Daredevil, Michigan Stinger, Needlefish, and Viper Serpent's are all great. I start out running these alone. If things are a bit too slow, I'll add a dodger. These lures have their own action, so I run them a bit further back behind the dodger. Anywhere from 24-30 inches. You have to be careful not to run them too close, or it fouls up their independent action.

I was going to try and add pics to this list but I think it will just muddy the water. If you would like to see pics or further description of any of the following, please ask! I'm sure I'll be asking for clarification and further description of some of your suggested rigs! Also, this list was put together in a hurry... so, I'm sure I'll be using the edit feature and making changes and additons!

Take care, bkidder
[signature]
interesting list, bkidder.. I'll toss my favorites up when I get more than a few minutes to post.

[cool]
[signature]
Spoons: Both Pro-King's std and magnum sized spoons are probably the base of my spoon selection. Jeff and Grace Brown at [url "http://www.thewharf.biz/"]The Wharf[/url] on Sheboygan Harbor's river-front have renamed their baits a few times from "JB spoons", "Brownie Tackle" and finally ending up with "Jeff's Tackle" (whew.. anywho..) Jeff's shop includes numberous fly offerings as well as spoons, [url "http://www.thewharf.biz/catalog/images/Snubber.jpg"]AWESOME transluscent snubbers[/url], among other offerings and services. His bait's are quickly taking over my bait caddys and are probably seeing as much if not more water time than the Pro-Kings. Mixed in with those two are various Northport nailers, Maulers, Northern Kings, Gold Stars, Michigan Stingers, Silver Streaks, and you'll find a few Cleos, Krocodiles and suprisingly a few old Andy Reekers make an appearance from time to time.

Flys: Howie Flys and Jeff's Tackle Flys are all I use or own.

Plugs/Minnow baits/Lures: Personally, I hate running J-Plugs.. thats me and my boat. I think I can honestly say I can count the # of fish I've netted in the past 10 years on both hands using 'em.. enough said about that. Rebel's discontinued large billed, deep diving jointed Fastracs are my favorite lure out there.. Rebel discontinued these things a # of years ago and slyly switched marketing over to what they card as their [url "http://www.lurenet.com/productdetail.aspx?id=4924"]DJ30S Jointed Spoonbill Minnow[/url] .. not even close to the original model Fastrac.. nice try Rebel.. you loose. I use some #11/13 jointed Rapalas on occasion but the Fastracs own the water. Last week I picked up 8 of Storm's new Deep Jointed Minnow Sticks (3-3/4") to try out durring the weekend.. I don't know the color names nor does Storm's site have a stitch of info yet - so keep your eye out for 'em. Three of the colors I chose had glow tails with transparent bodies and a greenish mirrored center that reminds me of a Emerald River Shiner's lateral-line reflective color. Colors I chose: purple back w/pink belly, gold back w/chart. belly, blue back w/orange belly and one was a straight non-glow tail in pearl white on both back and belly. The pearl white was responsible for a 7-8lb Lake Trout off a high line @ 120 straight back. So there's hope for 'em.

I'll add techniques and rigging in a bit but for the most part its pretty straight forward. I do have a tendancy to stretch my lead lengths out further than most guys I know though.

[self edited spelling ]
[signature]
Here are Storm's Deep Jointed Minnow Sticks I mentioned above.

The 2 'pearl white' colored baits I described are still in the boat on a bait caddy but, you can get the general idea from these three.

Pictured are the 'glow' colors:

[Image: 2envpxy.jpg]

[Image: 2r2yclk.jpg]

[Image: 35krk46.jpg]

Notice the factory applied VMC Barbarian hooks.
[signature]
Ok I'll give this a shot while trying to not give up too many secrets. Just so everyone knows this is my favorite for fishing the waters of Wyoming and Utah.

Lake Trout - JIGS, JIGS, and more JIGS. Tube jigs have become a favorite of mine over the last few years. Anything from 4" to 7" in many various colors. I mostly let the fish tell me what size to use.

Rainbows on the Lake - I don't care for trolling lakes that much so if I am on a lake, I like to hit close to the shore and coves. I like using Rooster Tails, Panther Martins, and DareDevil spoons just about every color will work but I like color variations of pink, orange and green. Casting to shore and retrieving back or casting along bottom structure such as a drop off letting it sink and then bring back works well for me in water up to 30'. I have even had success while using crankbaits and following the bottom structure.

Rainbows, Cutthroat and Browns on rivers - My favorite if permitted is using a Night Crawler. I use a swivel with a 3' leader attached tothe swivel with whatever size of bait hook I am using. Above the swivel I attache about a 1/16 oz of spitshot sinkers and a clear half filled bobber. This works really well for fast moving waters or creeks especially the Snake or Greys riversin Wyoming or the Smithsfork and Blacksfork in Utah. If artificial is the only thing permitted small tube jigs have also worked for me, and on calmer rivers I like to use smaller Rooster Tails and Panther Martins once again.

I hope this makes sense to everyone if not let me know and I will try and elaborate further.
Wyobraz
[signature]
black panther martin with the gold blade and 3 yellow spots. Ive caught rainbows in north georgia off them and monster browns, bows and cuts in utah. Its my go to trout lure. I Had a good 30 inch brown in the south fork of the ogden on one of those but it spit the lure out. Good thing I had witnesess[Wink]

Matt
[signature]
BKidder:

I like the new thread on trout and salmon. I agree with you, the new stuff from Rocky Mountain are great. I went to E.C. a few days ago. The Mai Tai lure was also really good. I have always used blades or pop gear with a worm. I will try the dodger from RMT and see it there is a difference. I am heading to Flaming Gorge on Monday and Tuesday, I really look forward to trying the new bugs and UV hoochies from RMT o n the Koke's. I will post when I get back, and send Pics when we catch them.
How was E.C.? I've heard there are some nice bows coming out of there, but I haven't fished it in years.

Yeah, I'm liking the trout/salmon board too! I think it was a great additon that the administrators came up with. I believe that it could be a great resourse for finding new ideas to try.

Those RMT spoons are awesome. I'm not a big "spoon guy", but I may have to change my ways. The deep cup really makes for a great erratic action! I haven't tried the Mai Tai color yet, but I will have to give it a shot based on your suggestion!

The important thing to remember with dodgers is that leader length is VERY important. First, check the package for the manufacturers suggested length. If that is gone, or long since thrown in the trash... use this formula to get you in the right ballpark -

Lures with their own action = 4 X the length of the dodger. So, if you are using a 4" RMT dodger, and trailing it with your Mai Tai spoon, your leader length should be 4 X 4.5 = 18 inches.

For lures without their own action, like flies and hoochies... Leader length should be 2.5 X the length of the dodger. So, your using the RMT 4" dodger and trailing a UV squid... 4 X 2.5 = 10 inches (about)

Like I said, check the suggested length, but this formula should put you in the right ballpark. (within a few inches) Also, don't be afraid to adjust it by a few inches... sometimes the fish want more action, sometimes they prefer it more subtle. More action, shorter leader. Less action, longer leader.

I look forward to your post on the Gorge! The kokes should be getting a little more active now. I will probably head up next weekend sometime. So, be sure to post up and let me know whats working!

Take care, bkidder
[signature]
I need some clarification here, guys. When you're refering to "pop-tackle" what are we talking here?
[signature]
well, this is a difference in name i believe. here we call them pop geer (which is actually an old brand name) my uncle in montana refers to them as cowbells (which is a lure jensen product name), i think most people either call them flashers, or lake trolls. pop geer is just a series of blades on a metal cable that create flash that immitates a small school of baitfish. heres a pic, and im sure you know exactly what we're referring to now...

[inline "Lake Trolls (pop geer).jpg"]

now, add about a 12 inch leader and a threaded worm... now, you have the rig which is a classic around here - pop geer and a worm.

hope that clears it up!
[signature]
[Wink] - cow bells.
[signature]
My favorite are daredevil spoons, any panther martin spinners, and my new favorite rapala countdown minnow.
[signature]
Cow Bells is the right term, or at least that is what they were called by the old timers...

Old Timers Respectively to me, seeing as I am now an old timer.. LOL. The old timers I would be refering to now would be great or great x2 old timers today...[sly]

Or would it be simplier to say the old timers when I was a kid called them cow bells... [:p] of corse that was all back in another century.. lol

Thanks for the share, That is the first time I have ever seen a pic of a cow bell.

Think I might make me a couple for trolling and fast river fishing...
[signature]
spawn sacks and skein is my go to bait when things get tough most of the year. spoons its hard to beat a spoon for trout and salmon, a 2/5-3/4oz little cleo is always a good choice. shad raps are never a bad idea either. A gulp! minnow on a darter head is now most peoples favorite go to bait around here, and id bet it would kill in other parts of the country. [Wink]
[signature]
where can i buy this online?
[signature]
try cabelas, bass pro shops, walmart, etc. It will be in the trolling section for terminal tackle or lures. I find most gas stations near lakes that you can troll will have them in stock.
[signature]
I am a first time boat owner, thanks for tip on pop gear im gonna try it out on lake, when you say thredded worm is that rubber worm or live worm such as night crawler ?
[signature]
i personally recomend a berkley 3 inch minnow T tail in a black and gold colour
[signature]
Good lineup!
Any suggetions for Lakers? My wife and I are headed to Jackson Lake, WY in a week, was wondering if anyone has been there this season and/or has any ideas for that area? I'd really like her to tie into one of the HOG Lakers that lurk in those waters... [fishin]
[signature]
For trout my favorite is the sachs spinners. They are the same size as regular trout lures but the body is heavier which gets it down deeper when retreiving, especially in faster water.

[url "http://www.sachsfishing.com"]www.sachsfishing.com[/url]

My preference where i fish is the white twist or silver flash, but all work similar.
[signature]