Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass On a fly
What is the best way to catch Bass on a fly? What kind of fly also? i Want to Catch a muskie on a fly to but am having trouble with tying one they like?
[signature]
I read that for bass some kind of top water poppers are great near weed beds and rocky points.

for musky try reading this primer

[url "http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/tomes_muskie.aspx"]http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/tomes_muskie.aspx[/url]
[signature]
I caught one on a dark wolly worm and saw a buddy catch one also on a wolly worm. I have some top popers I haven't tied yet and I think a mouse or frog fly will pull in the big ones. Lately where I am going for bluegill with nymps I have caught 2 10"ers and alot of little ones.
[signature]
I agree with everything above. I have caught bass on Nymphs and Buggers along with poppers and ROYAL WULFF. Try a purple Woolly Bugger sometime...pretty cool.
Majja might like this. Was taken at Quail Lake a few years ago and yes I was a blond. It was on a 4wt.
[inline "Bass 2 450.jpg"]
[inline "Bass 4 450.jpg"]
[signature]
cool pics and a way lucky fish in that second picture.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green][cool][green]Hi there idahopanfish thanks for dropping by. The more the merrier.[/green][/green][green] Hey there FGD now I know why you are a redhead. Nobody listens to a blond. Just ask TubeN2.[Wink][/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
Huh???[crazy] ha ha

At least FG changed here hair color. I'm still a blonde.[pirate]
[signature]
Bass on a fly is very possible. I have caught many bass on flies although I end up having to hang up my flyswatter in certain lakes because of the size of the fish.

Most Bass like a top water presentation when the water temp is just right. If it gets too cold or too warm they will go deep and look for a nicer thermocline that suits their likings.

Bass will hunt mostly by sound. They don't see very far away but can hear stuff from halfways across a lake.

Once they hear the distress call of an injured fish or a Crawdad that is having a bad day, they will hone in on it and plan their attack.

The attack could be sudden or they may take the time to study what they are going after.

I prefer to use larger Wooley Buggers, Bunny Tail Leeches, Clousers with rattles, Zonkers and plastic worms.

Each of these have their own unique way to present themselves in order to attract the necessary attention.

They are heavier flies for heavy fish. I use most of these with a spey rod just because of the style of casting and greater distance that is achieved from it.[cool]
[signature]
As I have told most of you before the very first fish I caught was a large mouth bass. I was using my brother in laws 5wt and fishing from the shore (his back yard) of a small golf course lake. I was using about a 1 inch green/over yellow popper near a small willow tree that leaned over the water. As I watched the popper floating and reacting to the small waves of the water I notice a small "wave" of water coming toward the popper. Tthe next thing I knew my popper disappeared and my line was being tugged hard. I lifted the rod and brought in a decent sized LMB. I was so excited I tried to do about six things at once but luckily one of them was to get my nephew to take a picture of me and that fish before I released it... and yes.. I have been hooked since.. [cool]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have only caught little LMB like 6 oz but i think i will try a popper.
[signature]
I love fishing for bass with my fly rod. I fish the Preston Idaho area from the end of May until July. My favorite fly is the popper. Experiment with different colors and sizes. I use one that is just big enough to keep the bluegill off yet not too large because the bigger ones seem to scare the smaller bass. I also love whitlock eels in purple and black. I caught my largest bass 22" at Condie on a large black bugger. I released it and then they drained the lake the next year. I wish I would have mounted it.

Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there windriver & xmlfish thanks for stopping by & posting. What size poppers were you all using and do you tie your own?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I do tie my own poppers. Where I live in Idaho the bass are generally small so the poppers are pretty small also. I do not know exactly what size they are but I tie most lf mine on a size 8 hook. I order or buy the bodies pre shaped. If you do not buy wide gap hooks then you have to cut a little away from the gap so that the hook can work on bass. The foam ones are the easiest to use because you just tie in a tail or legs with a wrapped hackle to disguise the hook a little and then glue the body on the hook. The only tricky part is heating up a needle to burn a hole in the body. Then you use a bobbin threader to pull the rubber legs through the body.

Windriver
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi windriver I have a few poppers in sizes 4s & 6s. However, I didn't tie them myself. Maybe one of these days I will take up that challenge. But doubt if I want to prefab those little bodies and get out my spray gun and all. LOL[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I was tying a popper i used a size 10 dry hook with a really small head. does size affect anthing?
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there Xmlfish - I think popper size makes a difference as regular flies do. One ties on a particular size fly then may go up or down in size until one works. My poppers are a bit large for my taste [it's the fishys taste that counts[Wink]] and will try to tie a few in the 8 - 10 range.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
The bigger baits will cull out the smaller fish. Big Bass may go for something small at times but the smaller Bass will be intimidated by the bigger baits.[cool]
[signature]
I sling saltwater foam poppers. They are big......but if you want big Bass and muskie they work well. Also Sanchez double bunnys work well for wet flys...clousers,decievers, Dalburg divers etc.
[signature]
I hear you on the Shrimp flippin. I seem to do more of that than lint these days. We all share some of the same flies and techniques. It's just that the fish tend to get a little bigger when they are doused with a salt bath.[cool]
[signature]