Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zonker....
Last night reading the posts (all of them, fishing, cooking, woodworking ect) somewhere someone caught those Golden Rainbows and reg. Rainbows (I got lost on which fourm it was) and showed the photos. Then someone else asked 'what color was the Golden's flesh?'. I tried to go back to find it and see what the answer is today but kinda can't find it but I only knew who to ask (you). I wonder but I knew u said didn't keep any of those fish for eating but if u did, what color is the flesh?
[signature]
The Golden Trout, just like all distinct native species have a brilliant red to orange colord meat inside. It is due to their rich diet and good clean living in high mountain lakes.

Here in Cali, you will only find Goldens abouve the 8500 feet mark. It is usually a big hike to get into these areas and we typically C&R the Goldens.[cool]
[signature]
BGMan,

As mentioned, I didn't kill any of them so I have no firsthand knowledge. Since they are simply a mutant strain of rainbow, I suspect that the meat color is the same as a rainbow. In a lowland lake that is probably a light pink/white color.

TubeN2,

These were not the Golden Trout of the high mountains. These were Golden Rainbows (not to be Confused with Albino Trout). As mentioned above, Golden Rainbow Trout are a mutant strain of Rainbow Trout that has all the characteristics of the rainbow (including the red stripe on the side) but is a gold color. They are not found in the wild but turned up in fish breeding and were developed from there. Their bright color in stillwater makes them susceptible to predators, I suspect.

Here are links to the posts:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Float_Tube_Fishing_C66/Float_Tubing_General_F81/Zonker...._P329946/gforum.cgi?post=225682;search_string=Chernobyl;t=search_engine#225682"]Chernobyl Trout in Frogwater[/url]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Float_Tube_Fishing_C66/Float_Tubing_General_F81/Zonker...._P329946/gforum.cgi?post=226632;search_string=Chernobyl;t=search_engine#226632"]Return to Chernobyl[/url]

z~

P.S. to Tubedude. Some of those older posts have pics in them that violate the new page width standards. Sorry. I don't wanna go back and change them all. [Wink]

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Dominoes nabisco. Don't pet the sweaty stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thou art forgaven.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just keep the good stuff comin'.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Interesting.

What is the difference between a Albino Rainbow trout, and a Golden Rainbow trout? Most albinos I have caught do have a light pink to red stripe as well.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They are the same. Just depends on what part of the country you are in and what the local fisheries department calls them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Albinos are not true albinos...just a lighter shade.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Inquiring minds can find a short rundown of the Golden Rainbow Trout on this website.

[url "http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish/trout_golden.htm"]Golden Rainbow Trout[/url]

z~
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][cool][#0000ff]They are the same. Just depends on what part of the country you are in and what the local fisheries department calls them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Albinos are not true albinos...just a lighter shade.[/#0000ff]
[/size][/black][/font] [Image: clear_shim.gif]

Really, the ones I caught in the Uinta's even had the pink eyes. But the Goldens we have around here are more brown/olive and gold.
When I first say Zonker's I thought they were Albino's also.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'm sure there are some genetic differences in the products produced by different hatcheries.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And yes, there are some true albino trout...but my understanding is that they are weak and a poor choice for hatcheries to try to raise.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[url "http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?t=24365"]Click here: Chicago and Illinois Fishing and Hunting Reports and Information - ChiTown-Angler :: View topic - Local Exotics 4/[/url]

This is the site that I was looking at the Golden Rainbow....
[signature]